Best cert to get the most interest from recruiters/hr types

I have some experience, but no certs or degrees. Having just started a NOC job, third shift (ugh), I want to give myself some leverage when the contract ends, but also give myself the most marketability to that I get some consistent contact from recruiters.

My question is, what is best most attractive cert(s) to get based on the current market?

CCNA
MCSA/MCITP
or the Comptia trinity

Based on my previous knowledge, I could probably knock out the trinity within 2 months total. Probably not going to offer the most money on the market, but will show fundamental knowledge.

CCNA, seems to be lots of jobs seeking that cert. I do have a limited background with Cisco, configuring 2500s for branch offices a few years ago.

MCITP/or Server admin. Sure, I won't get a admin position right away, but MS always seems to be in demand.

Two more things. I'd love to do security, and I have seen some jobs requiring Security+ in my area (Chicago and burbs) including one company I'd love to work for. I don't mind working the odd shift if I'd doing something I'd like to do. Also, my contract ends in 3 months, with the possibility of direct hire, but based on what I'm getting paid as a contractor, I don't expect it to be in the range I'm seeking, as well, its in the Wireless field, and knowledge is a good thing, I'm not sure if its the direction I want to go in. Bottom line, I'm looking to bump up my resume in short term, giving myself leverage come contract time, as well as with recruiters.

And advice would be much appreciated. While I'd like to do security, I want leverage right now, so that I either get a longer, better paying contract with better hours, and then I can focus on what I'd like to do.

Comments

• howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    let me also add, that I'm starting WGU in October, and the Comptia exams, while more entry level, would satisfy my major, either Security and Network.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're going security don't bother with the Net+. It's not in the curriculum.
    Do you have any JUCO credits to transfer in? There's a scholarship if you have 2 certs and 15 Hours to transfer in.

As for what to get since you've got NOC experience you'll get the CCNA at WGU if you go securityn and that's always a good cert for network guys.
    Do some research on what you'll get before deciding your major at WGU.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can get more info on the scholarship by going clicking here.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What type of security are you interested in? Be as specific as possible. Security is pretty vast. I think Security+ is a good start but after that (or during or before) you need to think about what type of security you want to do.
    Thanks.

That's what I figure too. Plus, if I get my Sec+ and CCNA, and CCNA:Sec, it should open doors in the field which I have the most interest.

If I'm totally honest with myself, the one thing I like about the MS track, is the idea that I'll most likely have typical business hours, I know not all the type, but I would probably have a more normal schedule than CCNA. It seems that with CCNA there is more opportunity to work off shifts, not that its a bad thing, but being a dad, its nice to be around the kids while they're still young.

I just need to buckle down and get my CCNA. I know that I need to, but at times it seems a tad overwhelming. However, I want to thank Jeremy Cioara for finally getting through my thick head how to subnet.
  • SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If I'm totally honest with myself, the one thing I like about the MS track, is the idea that I'll most likely have typical business hours, I know not all the type, but I would probably have a more normal schedule than CCNA. It seems that with CCNA there is more opportunity to work off shifts, not that its a bad thing, but being a dad, its nice to be around the kids while they're still young.

I once worked with a guy in his mid-40s who had been a Microsoft server admin for 10 years. He then switched over to the networking side and got his CCNA and CCNP. He had been doing that for 8 years when I met him.

At one point I asked him if he'd recommend server administration over network engineering, and he told me "Only go for server administration if you like working nights and weekends. When I was doing it, I was called in constantly. I never had time to myself, because a critical system would go down and I would get called in. Since I started networking, I've worked some OT, but I've almost always had my weekends to myself and my family."

Now, I'm not a server admin OR a network guy (yet), so I can only go off of what this guy told me. Also, he wasn't a network admin for a single company; while he worked for one entity, he was contracted out to multiple clients, so that may have played a part.

As always, YMMV.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860

CCNA
    MCSA/MCITP
    or the Comptia trinity

ha, CompTia Trinity, I like that
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    ha, CompTia Trinity, I like that

I'd like to lay claim to that, but I others had made reference before me.

My big thing is, I want to have some quality of life. I have no problem working OT, and I understand weekends do happen, but I just want to avoid working third shift. With that being said, I also understand that third is often where the new guys go to learn, and if I were to get a security position, I'd be willing to work lousy hours, especially if I was able to get 4 ten hour days, instead of the usual five, which schedule I have had before and having that third day off was sweet. My goal is to be able to get to a certain income level, so that I can focus on a business which has been my main source of income the past five years, but is in desperate need of reorganization, as well as some diversity. Its a home based online thing, so it wouldn't interfere with outside employment.

I didn't realize that server admins have that lousy of hours. I recently took a class, and a few of my fellow classmates were server admins, and they bragged about how nice their hours were. Of course I have no idea whom they worked for, and specifically what they did other than their titles.

It seems a CCNA, with some experience, should open some doors. As well its 1-2 tests, vs 3-5.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□

My big thing is, I want to have some quality of life. I have no problem working OT, and I understand weekends do happen, but I just want to avoid working third shift. With that being said, I also understand that third is often where the new guys go to learn, and if I were to get a security position, I'd be willing to work lousy hours, especially if I was able to get 4 ten hour days, instead of the usual five, which schedule I have had before and having that third day off was sweet. My goal is to be able to get to a certain income level, so that I can focus on a business which has been my main source of income the past five years, but is in desperate need of reorganization, as well as some diversity. Its a home based online thing, so it wouldn't interfere with outside employment.

I didn't realize that server admins have that lousy of hours. I recently took a class, and a few of my fellow classmates were server admins, and they bragged about how nice their hours were. Of course I have no idea whom they worked for, and specifically what they did other than their titles.

It seems a CCNA, with some experience, should open some doors. As well its 1-2 tests, vs 3-5.

In Security you can work 40 hours one week 10 hours the next. Server admins have lousy hours due to patches so they have to schedule down time which is usually off hours.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    In Security you can work 40 hours one week 10 hours the next. Server admins have lousy hours due to patches so they have to schedule down time which is usually off hours.

I'd disagree. It depends on what your job entails, I work a min. of 40 hours and could easily do 60+ a week constantly just to keep up (if I was stupid enough to put my job before my life). Some positions are contract based and the hours vary but it's not a generic thing.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?

I have definitely used it, but I won't claim I did it before you.

(I was quite happy not having any of them....but the good thing about A+/Network+ was that I got to save money on school.... :D ). Sec+ I needed to for school and since I needed to do it before the end of the year anyway for it to be lifetime....figure why the heck not.....

:)

BTW, do the trinity.....get the easy lifetime certs out of the way.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You can get more info on the scholarship by going clicking here.

thanks dude

icon_cheers.gif
    I have definitely used it, but I won't claim I did it before you.

(I was quite happy not having any of them....but the good thing about A+/Network+ was that I got to save money on school.... :D ). Sec+ I needed to for school and since I needed to do it before the end of the year anyway for it to be lifetime....figure why the heck not.....

:)

BTW, do the trinity.....get the easy lifetime certs out of the way.

Besides school, they will probably fill the holes in my knowledge, and probably make studying for the more difficult certs a bit easier. To date, my knowledge in I.T. has been mostly on the job, or just by doing. While I've do have knowledge, at least enough to get a job, there are definitely gaps in what I know. If anything, having the trinity will probably give me more confidence going forward, as well as a bit of resume fodder, as well as credit for WGU.
    I really have no idea what type of security that I'd like to do. What I think would be fun would be penetration testing, and ethical hacking, but I have zero programming background. Wouldn't that be a prereq for pursing something like that? I just find the field interesting, just from the little I've ready in the Sec+ book.

Also, sorry for the the typos on my part. Just starting a third shift contract, and I'm pretty sleep deprived. Trying to adjust my sleep schedule, and my dogs and kids aren't cooperating. lol
  • SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    Being a network admin sucked me dry. I was always firepassed in to the office and doing a bit of work here and there and usually worked about 60 hrs a week (as an exempt)...was on call 24x7...worked 90+ hrs Christmas week one yr and did not get to see my famly. Fun times! (Actually I did love it but it was no 40 hr job).
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If going the security route at WGU the Net+ is no longer part of that since you'll be doing CCNA and CCNA:Security. You can find out some more about what you'll be taking by looking at http://kb.wgu.edu/utility/getfile.asp?rid=528
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Maybe this is kinda weird, but hear me out.

My current position, is a NOC tech. Basically monitoring the network, monitoring alarms, creating and following up on tickets, calling out techs, etc. Its for a t-com company on the third shift. This is not my cup of tea, reasons being: third shift-ugh, the money is "eh" esp. for third, and while its a good company, its only a three month to possible hire, and from what I've been told, the money isn't that great, but the company does promote learning.

That being said, most of my background is in monitoring networks, WANs mostly, some desktop, and now some t-com stuff. I have zero certs, about halfway towards a degree (transferring to WGU starting in Oct), and I was thinking of a new plan. Both to give me some options, both in the event this doesn't work out once my contract is up and to give me options should third shift wear my arse out. With two kids and two dogs, my house is loud during the day, so sleeping is rough, or ruff, depending on your sense of humor.

But I digress.... I've considered, perhaps its the sleep deprivation, going back to the beginning, and knocking out the certs (MCDST, A+, Net+) that I know I can finish rather quickly (a month or less per exam), just to develop some sort of base, so that I might be a bit more attractive to recruiters. While I'd like to do security, I also want to keep myself as open to as many jobs as possible, at least until I find a more comfortable working situation (meaning either perm, or a longer contract). I know that contracts do get terminated early, but I have been fortunate so far in that the contracts I've been on before have worked out.

I know that if I was to finish my CCNA, with the light experience I have with Cisco, monitoring networks and configuring 2500s, that I probably stand a decent chance of finding something Tier 1 or whatever, I wonder if I stand a better chance of finding a Desktop job with those certs mentioned earlier, and some experience.

With the market being what it is, I'm just trying to stay employed. It is possible that my current job could work out, but then again who knows. Plus, I want to keep myself as attractive as possible to other employers, should I get burnt out on 3rd. I know the previously mentioned certs are entry level, but some desktop people make decent money, at least compared to what I'm making now, and not on third.

At some point when I feel better and more secure in my job, I would then either pursue more advanced MS certs, or Cisco.

Does any of this make sense?
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Synthros wrote: »
    Since I started networking, I've worked some OT, but I've almost always had my weekends to myself and my family."

When you start out you will not have weekends to your self. I've been in networking for 3 yrs and am still on shift work, it used to be 5 8's then it was 4 10's and now it's 12hr shifts. I cannot wait to get into Tier III or Engineering and have that M-F schedule.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
    phantasm wrote: »
    When you start out you will not have weekends to your self. I've been in networking for 3 yrs and am still on shift work, it used to be 5 8's then it was 4 10's and now it's 12hr shifts. I cannot wait to get into Tier III or Engineering and have that M-F schedule.

I've worked the 4-10s, and loved it, even though it was Thursday thru Sunday, and third shift no less.

Granted, that was over ten years ago, and I was a single dude with little responsibility. Now I'm over 40, with kids, dogs, a wife, as well as other responsibilities. I would still relish having an extra day off. I recently saw a job with 3-12s, but it would be Fri, Sat, Sun. While it would be good as far as not having to pay childcare, it would be bad, as weekends are when most of the fun things to do are, and if you miss one day, that's a significant part of your check.
  • 0Day0Day Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you just need to go knock out those certs you want. You already have the plan, just read, read, and read, and when your tired of reading do some practice tests, and read some more.
    WIP: CISSP/ CCNP
    Howie,

From what you said, as well as that WGU seems like something you want to start, definitely do the A+/Network+. You can knock that out with your background in a couple of weeks....

If for nothing else....you get to save $600 bucks EVERY SIX MONTHS just for bringing in CompTIA certs to the table at WGU (like I did... :D ). And you are right, the CompTIA certs definitely are a way to get you more comfortable with the big-boy certs. Only reason I took them 5 years ago (and of course, Security+ is only 11 days old for me...lol), was because they were free through my former employer and I thought I'd be going the MCSA route...but I never got the chance because I was gonna land a new job a few months later.

Thanks to WGU, I can finally start doing what I needed to do earlier....labbin' and earning me some certs. (Oh and more importantly, earn a Bachelor's to boot!).

Get your trinity before the year's out and go get you that $600 a term. :D
    Howie,

From what you said, as well as that WGU seems like something you want to start, definitely do the A+/Network+. You can knock that out with your background in a couple of weeks....

If for nothing else....you get to save $600 bucks EVERY SIX MONTHS just for bringing in CompTIA certs to the table at WGU (like I did... :D ). And you are right, the CompTIA certs definitely are a way to get you more comfortable with the big-boy certs. Only reason I took them 5 years ago (and of course, Security+ is only 11 days old for me...lol), was because they were free through my former employer and I thought I'd be going the MCSA route...but I never got the chance because I was gonna land a new job a few months later.

Thanks to WGU, I can finally start doing what I needed to do earlier....labbin' and earning me some certs. (Oh and more importantly, earn a Bachelor's to boot!).

Get your trinity before the year's out and go get you that $600 a term. :D

I definitely have holes in my knowledge, and quite frankly, I truly believe that I've gotten the jobs in I.T. that I have, because of my can do/will do attitude. I mean, I have decent knowledge, but I'm a quick learner, and I play well with others. I'd love to do Security+ first, and there's a company that's looking for it that I'd love to work for, but I'm sure there are more employers looking for Net+ and A+ to fill desktop roles and network techs, than there are Sec Analysts. I'm going to focus on the trinity, and maybe MCDST for kicks, as I've seen some desktop jobs desire that cert. Not the highest level, but should give me a good base going forward, and spackle the holes in my knowledge.
    0Day wrote: »
    It sounds like you just need to go knock out those certs you want. You already have the plan, just read, read, and read, and when your tired of reading do some practice tests, and read some more.

The CCNA seems so daunting, and I believe part of the problem is that I really need to fill in the holes in my knowledge. Should make the CCNA more digestible, and I'm sure the MS exams as well. Maybe not the most impressive certs, but gotta start somewhere.
    The CCNA seems so daunting, and I believe part of the problem is that I really need to fill in the holes in my knowledge. Should make the CCNA more digestible, and I'm sure the MS exams as well. Maybe not the most impressive certs, but gotta start somewhere.

Don't forget you can split the CCNA into two tests. Taking ICND1 grants you a CCENT and then ICND2 would complete the CCNA.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
    Don't forget you can split the CCNA into two tests. Taking ICND1 grants you a CCENT and then ICND2 would complete the CCNA.

That's what I'm going to have to do. I tend to have big plans, but then get frustrated when I've bit off more than I can chew.

Funny too that I've been writing on this board that I'd love to get a network job with normal hours near the house, and I received an interview request late Sunday night via email for a job which I applied to at least 6 weeks ago. I only checked my email out of habit. Not sure if I'm what they're looking for, but I'm sure the person in charge saw something on my resume that they liked, or they wouldn't have had the HR folks contact me. 20 minutes from the house and daylight hours would be nice. Hopefully the money is in my ballpark. But I can't get ahead of myself. Gotta ace the interview first.
    That's what I'm going to have to do. I tend to have big plans, but then get frustrated when I've bit off more than I can chew.

Funny too that I've been writing on this board that I'd love to get a network job with normal hours near the house, and I received an interview request late Sunday night via email for a job which I applied to at least 6 weeks ago. I only checked my email out of habit. Not sure if I'm what they're looking for, but I'm sure the person in charge saw something on my resume that they liked, or they wouldn't have had the HR folks contact me. 20 minutes from the house and daylight hours would be nice. Hopefully the money is in my ballpark. But I can't get ahead of myself. Gotta ace the interview first.

Best of luck on the interview. I've been hoping for a networking job with corporate hours for 3yrs. No go. Seems I have more time to slave in the trenches before I'm deemed worthy enough of moving out of them. lol.
    Best of luck on the interview. I've been hoping for a networking job with corporate hours for 3yrs. No go. Seems I have more time to slave in the trenches before I'm deemed worthy enough of moving out of them. lol.

What I thought was a networking job, turned out to be more of a process orientated engineering support job for a cell phone distribution company. More of a process improvement job, although I'd get to play with the latest and greatest cell phones as part of my job. Would be different from anything I've ever done, but that's not such a bad thing.