Options

Longer CV is better ?

Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Till now I've been using Europass CV form (attached) in all my interviews. Officially it's like a CV standard in Europe. But last week a coworker came from an international HR agency and brought a new CV form (attached). According to this HR agency, the Europass is useless and "don't bring luck". They specifically asked to fill in this CV form they gave to him, if he wants to progress in his future interviews. Sounds ok with me, but damn, their proposed CV is 4 pages long. Of course it's very detailed in every aspect and I'm considering to re-write my CV according to this "new standard", but I want to hear your opinion about this CV example too.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If I were hiring and a resume in such a format came up, it's going to the trash can right away. IMO,

1. It's hard to read, you see you got to line up the words on the left to the ones on the right to see understand what you are reading.
    2. Wasted space.
    3. Use of tables (or frames whatever you want to call it)
    4. Personal Interests and that mother tongue line and self assessments

It'd make me feel that the person's too full of themselves.

For the cvexamples.pdf

1. I wouldnt keep the Technical Experience preview section. It's a resume for Pete's sake, not a freaking manual.
    2. I would try to condense the day-to-day activities and the project undertaken part into the duties and responsibilities section. If I couldnt fit it all into the duties and responsibilities section, only then I might consider putting in a projects undertaken section.
    3. Too detailed if you ask me.
    4. Education and certifications MUST be at the beginning.
    5. I dont think there's a need for the Interests section or the references bit.

A resume must be 2 pages long, or a maximum of 3. Anything beyond that and I'll toss it onto the compost heap.

Just my $.02
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Heard about the 3 page rule? well ya have now. ;)
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've read through resumes that were a couple of pages, and a few that were four to five. At the HR level, you probably don't want the long version (at least around where I work). But from a technical interviewer perspective, I don't mind the length, as long as it's readable. But that said, brevity is preferred for someone whose eyes have been glazing over dozens (or more) resumes. I'd rather know the details about a person before I interview him so I know what to "expect" going in. That's just me. I think your resume is ok, but a little on the text-bulky side. Sometimes it's hard to break it into smaller pieces.

I hate to admit it but my resume (the technical version) is currently at four pages solid at Times New Roman 11 point. I need to cut it down a bit for sure, but it's a generic variation that encapsulates most of what I've done which may be relevant to a wide audience. If I target it to a specific position, I may be able to narrow it down more. It's the same one recruiters pick up through job boards.

For your case, I'd remove the personal interests section, as well as the old "references available upon request." I personally keep my education / training at the end, although I have a summary of qualifications at the very beginning where I quickly list my certifications and other selling points. I generally don't care about a person's education unless the rest of the resume from the beginning gets my interest. Think of the person reading the resume - the top half of page 1 should be the selling point.

Also, statements like, "Prepared to work hard to achieve results and meet targets" may seem unnecessary (others may disagree here) as it's just expected for any position.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok. Thanks for the review. Just got a message from our HR department - "we're meeting in 2 hours. Bring your resume". With all the people being fired here, it doesn't sound good. ouch...
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was told no matter how long your CV, list you skills, achivments and objectives in clear bullet points at the start of your CV.

If you can catch the readers attention at this point they migh well go on to read a 10 page CV.. if you lose them in the first 2 paragraphs then it will end up in the bin no matter how good the rest of it is.

You want them to read the first two lines and be thinking "hey this guy/girl knows something / matches our needs" and them to be intrested enough to carry on reading.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A good CV is better, however long it takes is up to you. 1 awesome page is always better than 10 boring pages.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Europass is fine, it is well-known standard and everybody respects it.
    Plus if you ask me, the things that matters in a CV are CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, experience, not the format.

Matt27[lt] wrote: »
    According to this HR agency, the Europass is useless and "don't bring luck".

Please, I really hate these HR BSs.
    Non-native English speaker