A good book on Cisco products in general?

feng.lianfeng.lian Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
There are just so many of them. I could read the data sheet and watch the video data sheet for each of them, which is what I tried to do, but as I read on, there are so many things that I don't understand like what is PWR, the advantage of EMI over SMI, what kind of GBICs are out there, naming conventions, compatibility of network modules and WICs, which devices really need PoE to work, and tons of other stuff.

I was wondering if there is a book that explains all this without going into how to use them. I'd like to get a good overview, as if I was a manager, before I choose what I'd like to learn more about.

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    feng.lian wrote: »
    There are just so many of them. I could read the data sheet and watch the video data sheet for each of them, which is what I tried to do, but as I read on, there are so many things that I don't understand like what is PWR, the advantage of EMI over SMI, what kind of GBICs are out there, naming conventions, compatibility of network modules and WICs, which devices really need PoE to work, and tons of other stuff.

I was wondering if there is a book that explains all this without going into how to use them. I'd like to get a good overview, as if I was a manager, before I choose what I'd like to learn more about.

In my experience the professional level books and up cover the related devices and the requirements for them, much of which you stated. But as far as a book dedicated to an overview of the big ones, I am not sure.

I would bet there is no book, but there may be a document somewhere.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The latest paper product guide is supposed to be available from the Cisco Marketplace -- I usually pick up a copy.

Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheets
    Portable Product Sheets - Partner Central
    Router Memory, Router Performance, Switch Performance, Modules Cross Reference, etc

Cisco Catalyst Switch Guide PDF
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/swit...cd805f0955.pdf

Cisco Router Guide PDF
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...cd8019dc1f.pdf
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!