Options

about configuration in the real life

gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
hi
one friend told me someone need some router/switch configuration for a building they are creating a new office there ok so he told me i going to call you soon.

but i am really worry what if the equipment is not a cisco equipment what if is nortel or Dlink??? so what i gonna do i know this forum is cisco forum but maybe you can give me some advice because i know in the real life not all is cisco

so any advice¿¿

Comments

• Options
    deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    Hey, so why don't you find out what kit it is before asking questions on how to configure it? icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    so any advice¿¿

Yes, as deth1k said.. find out what you are working with first lol...
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Take a moment. The 'real world' has no patience for people who don't ask questions they need to ask. Don't accept work before you are given the ability to ensure you can do it, or that you have a means to learn how to do it.

Don't accept the job until you know everything it encompasses.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    yeah i going to ask...but is kinda sad if you lost a project because you cant handle the equipment of others vendors i mean is the same vlans,routing protocols,acl etc maybe i can find some manuals in the internet
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    yeah i going to ask...but is kinda sad if you lost a project because you cant handle the equipment of others vendors i mean is the same vlans,routing protocols,acl etc maybe i can find some manuals in the internet
    That's probably your best bet. I would still find out what you are working with prior to accepting the tasks...
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Do you really want to show up to a job site and have no idea what you are doing? That is going to hurt you more in the long run than refusing work because it is out of your scope of expertise.

On the other hand you might get lucky and they'll have an unmanaged dlink 24 port and a linksys router.... Who knows ;)
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've winged it when I went on a service call. This was in 2002 and I was faced with a 2000 network and all I knew was NT. And the site was my local congressman's office. Yikes!

Luckily the plan all along was to have me work with a government contractor who provided phone support.

Funny thing is that I voted against the congressman when he was elected.

:)

But by no means am I saying you should walk into a situation cluelessly if you can avoid it.