Options

Took a new networking role at my job! (Overwhelmed) :)

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
As you all well know I work in a support center environment. Well today I took on the task of monitoring our routers / circuits etc. I don't have all the tools but I do use Tivoli Netview and Telnet to check on the status of the routers, switches, circuits. I am getting more comfortable with the netview tool drilling in and checking on the circuits and seeing which ones are down. I am getting use to seeing the alerts and then drilling in and checking on the subinterfaces.

I asked my WAN guy what would be the best book to use and he said just continue doing the work. I agree with that, but is there anything else I can do ramp up my progress and learn more. Is there a IBM Tivoli Netview resource or book to learn from? I mentioned network + and he laughed, but to be honest this is really my weakest area and now I am being asked to monitor it and services it with different ISP. We have an assortment of frame relays, MIS and DSL/Cable connections.

Sorry to ask so many questions but this is really all kind of new to me. Sorry if I come across like a nub, but I am lol.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    N2IT wrote: »
    Is there a IBM Tivoli Netview resource or book to learn from?
    There sure is, lots of them which IBM refers to as the Redbooks: icon_arrow.gifIBM Redbooks | Tivoli (searching for netview or networking should give you some relevant results).

As for your coworker laughing at the idea of doing Network+, I suggest downloading the exam objectives and check for yourself how much you could learn from studying. CCENT/CCNA might be a better alternative, i.e. if you work with Cisco gear.

And congrats on the new role.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats as well. The only other thing I would add is you should ask management to look into getting away from telnet if at all possible. They will want to look at a more secure technology such as Secure Shell (SSH).
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote: »
    There sure is, lots of them which IBM refers to as the Redbooks: icon_arrow.gifIBM Redbooks | Tivoli (searching for netview or networking should give you some relevant results).

As for your coworker laughing at the idea of doing Network+, I suggest downloading the exam objectives and check for yourself how much you could learn from studying. CCENT/CCNA might be a better alternative, i.e. if you work with Cisco gear.

And congrats on the new role.

Thanks for the response.

Yeah we use all Cisco gear. 877, and a few other models of routers/modems.

And btw Webmaster I wasn't laughing at network +, I am laughing at my networking ability.
  • Options
    Thanks Seph and Rogue for the gratz. Within one day I have learned a lot. Difference between the different circuits and how the Netview tool works.

I was looking at an outage notification today and I was about to start to call this plant, but come to find out there was a subinterface to another circuit which was giving the other location a false positive. So I am extremely green, but with the tools I am using I feel like I am starting to learn again. Something that wasn't happening before.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks Seph and Rogue for the gratz. Within one day I have learned a lot. Difference between the different circuits and how the Netview tool works.

I was looking at an outage notification today and I was about to start to call this plant, but come to find out there was a subinterface to another circuit which was giving the other location a false positive. So I am extremely green, but with the tools I am using I feel like I am starting to learn again. Something that wasn't happening before.

Those "ah-hah!" moments are the greatest in this world lol. I'm happy things are working out :). Push push push and come review time its time for some new toys haha.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new role and much luck with the learning curve you currently have.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Many of the good Cisco guys (which sounds like you're on your way to being) start out by getting their hands dirty on the equipment. Your colleague has probably been doing it for so long, that's probably why he laughed at Network+. But since you're in now, you can just do the work for some time before starting to work on your CCNA. That's what a good number of guys did. Before you know it, you'll be in CCNP land in no time. (If that's what you want to do).

Congrats, once again!
  • Options
    pakgeekpakgeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As you all well know I work in a support center environment. Well today I took on the task of monitoring our routers / circuits etc. I don't have all the tools but I do use Tivoli Netview and Telnet to check on the status of the routers, switches, circuits. I am getting more comfortable with the netview tool drilling in and checking on the circuits and seeing which ones are down. I am getting use to seeing the alerts and then drilling in and checking on the subinterfaces.

I asked my WAN guy what would be the best book to use and he said just continue doing the work. I agree with that, but is there anything else I can do ramp up my progress and learn more. Is there a IBM Tivoli Netview resource or book to learn from? I mentioned network + and he laughed, but to be honest this is really my weakest area and now I am being asked to monitor it and services it with different ISP. We have an assortment of frame relays, MIS and DSL/Cable connections.

Sorry to ask so many questions but this is really all kind of new to me. Sorry if I come across like a nub, but I am lol.

Thanks

Congrats man!!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like it's a step up -- Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the step up. icon_thumright.gif

From the sounds of it, you may be better off starting off on the CCENT/CCNA route, rather than work on Network+. While the Network+ would be very useful, CCENT is very similar and it sounds like you're pretty Cisco-focused in your new job-role, so going in that direction might serve you better both in the here and now and the long-run.

Good luck with both your studies and the 'new' gig. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    It's funny how IT works out like that. I am a Excel and application pro in my opinion, I just have a natural knack for that, but my management team is looking for someone to monitor and be proactive to the outages regardless of power or communications. I am going to run with this I already let them know I enjoy this, which I really do. It is some what empowering and really gives me a knowledge I never had.

Thanks for all the support thats what makes this the best forum on the internet.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Congrats! Many of the good Cisco guys (which sounds like you're on your way to being) start out by getting their hands dirty on the equipment. Your colleague has probably been doing it for so long, that's probably why he laughed at Network+. But since you're in now, you can just do the work for some time before starting to work on your CCNA. That's what a good number of guys did. Before you know it, you'll be in CCNP land in no time. (If that's what you want to do).

Congrats, once again!

I think I am going to just try to get down the commands and the knowledge and move forward. I am currently working on this mid level ITIL exam which hopefully I will pass and as soon as this is complete I can completely focus on this networking role. The WAN guys are on my side and want me to succeed. John the lowest level of the WAN tech is consistently teaching me about the interfaces and what certain things mean. Just today he was going over fastethernet and serial connections. It really is a complete different genre than I am use to, but I like it.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think I am going to just try to get down the commands and the knowledge and move forward. I am currently working on this mid level ITIL exam which hopefully I will pass and as soon as this is complete I can completely focus on this networking role. The WAN guys are on my side and want me to succeed. John the lowest level of the WAN tech is consistently teaching me about the interfaces and what certain things mean. Just today he was going over fastethernet and serial connections. It really is a complete different genre than I am use to, but I like it.

Yeah, the network side of things is definitely fun. I haven't touched Cisco since the beginning of the millenium. But I remember being quite fond of it. I am glad you are having fun, that's always the most important thing. Before you know it it's going to be second nature.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

In your position, you will probably use only a few show commands. Take a look and learn them well.

Cisco Commands
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    In your position, you will probably use only a few show commands. Take a look and learn them well.

Cisco Commands

Thanks a lot! Yeah I use the interface ones already, but some of them down on the list I haven't seen before.

BTW that became a favorite link on my home machine and defiently my work machine!