Options

Online Job application asked for too much

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I just filled out a job application online for a job I heard about through Indeed. The application took nearly 2 hours to fill out as they are government contractors and since I'm a vet they ask all these conflict of interest questions which take a lot of explaining.
One thing the application asked for was my social security number which was not marked as required and I did not provide. I attached my resume but it doesn't extract the info and I ended up basically enterring all the info from my resume in the application anyway.
I've never seen this before in an online application for them to ask for the SSN. The application also had me fill in my referenceswhich I did provide. I did check to make sure the site was legit by going to the company website and going through the job search (before doing application) to make sure it was legit. I'm just wondering if leaving off my SSN will disqualify me.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If its not required, they can't hold it against you.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    earweed wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if leaving off my SSN will disqualify me.

It will not disqualify you and I would never hand it out till i'm further along in the process and actually speaking to someone offering the job.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ditto! Only time I give a SSN to any employer (even if it is government) is after the interview and never before. Hiring folks are very understanding of that fact and will hold off until you get to the next phase of the hiring.

The main reasons why employers need the SSN:

1) Background check (but that happens when you are really in the running so I don't give this out in the application phase)
    2) Make sure you are a legal resident (Citizen, Green Card holder, etc.) for I-9 purposes.
  • Options
    It asked so many other questions too. such as what were my duties and responsibilities in the military. Couldn't go into detail there as most of that stuffs classified. I had a secret clearance and details of what I did may not be kosher. I've never had this detailed of an online application before. After scanning through it before filling out anything I went to the companies website and entered the application phase for the job from there in order to ensure I wasn't on a fraudulent site.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Maybe it is their way of validating whether you are telling the truth about your military service?
  • Options
    BocaRatonITBocaRatonIT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I worked as a IT recruiter and we asked for SSN, if people did not want to provide it we advised them to Fill it in with all 1's and if we decide to give you a contract we take it at that time, because its required to work and for tax purposes but we didn't hold it against anyone if they did not want to give it out online.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Chances are, there was a mis-communication between HR and the web developer who put together the online application.

I can imagine that an HR manager could have given too little info about what to put on, maybe even sent the guy a note saying, "Make an online application for this job." Then you've got your web developer scratching his head and putting in whatever he thinks sounds legit.

Regardless of the reason the Social Security number was asked for, I'm sure they won't automatically disqualify you for not providing it since it wasn't required.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    It does look like a good opportunity and from the looks of it would also get me a secret clearance. I seem to meet almost 100% of the requirements the ad posted. It's for desktop support. It did ask for an AS (required) but my having almost a BSIT should help me to fulfill that requirement.