Options

Couple of employment opportunities in the Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley area

contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
I hope everyone is enjoying a nice holiday weekend!

I have a couple of employment opportunities available in the Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley) area. Please understand I an NOT a recruiter one of these positions is a direct report on my staff and the other is for a close personal friend and a company where I provide some consulting services. I am going to be as frank as possible about the positions and try not to sugar coat the jobs. So please understand I am trying to be as honest as I can about the positions so nobody feels like this post was a bait and switch =). If you are interested in either position shoot me a pm.

I figured that here was a great place to look for some people that are focused on professional development or looking for opportunities to grow. Maybe i'll get lucky and find the right candidates.

Position 1:
Entry-level Helpdesk/Network Tech
The first position is a direct report to me. Initially the position will be part-time with the option to go full-time based on performance. The company is located in Van Nuys and we are a direct-response media company. The position is about as entry-level as it gets.

Basically, we need somebody with a good head on their shoulders who will serve as a primary point of contact for support and escalation for our call centers. We really don't have many issues, more along the lines of the rep forgot a password or got locked out for fat fingering their password too many times and needs to be unlocked. Ideally I am looking for more then just a warm body. To help fill the quiet times you will be working other support tickets and covering projects that my other techs may not have been able to complete the previous day or special projects I assign to you. Really this position can be as boring or exciting as you make it.

So, here is the basic info on the position the pay is so-so for entry level work. The shifts start at 6:30a and you will be working Saturdays. If we find the right candidate you will have plenty of room for growth. Expect as you become familiar with us and our topologies to be tossed into the deep end of the pool and learn new skills. I'm tough but fair. You will fall down and make mistakes along the way, I expect it and I encourage it because it will force you to learn and excel. On to the good stuff we have a pretty decent Cisco lab (routers, switches, vpn concentrators, ASA's, wireless, voip) if that is something that interests you. Our staff does a fair amount of self-study and we have a decent library of study materials and budget for procuring new materials so their is a good chance you will have a study partner if you want. We have a small gym on-site and yoga and pilates classes. If you are just getting started in IT or are a college student taking classes in the afternoon or evenings this might be a good opportunity for you.

Position 2:
Sr Unix Admin
This position is with a company that works in the "Adult Entertainment" space. If you/your spouse/significant other has or may have an issue in this type of environment please do not apply! I cannot be any more honest then that. Truthfully since you will be supporting the backend operations your contact with adult content will be limited but if you are easily offended by this type of material this is not for you. The upside is that the environment tends to be very casual with nerf gun fights etc. so it does have its upside.

I am helping a close friend fill this position and he is one of the most talented IT people I have ever had the pleasure of having as a mentor. Let's put it this way I have hired him as my boss on more then one occasion. This is a senior level position and you will be challenged constantly but you will also learn so much along the way. This company has a large internet presence so most of the work is supporting the web/e-commerce environment. If you are selected for this position you will work long hours but the work is rewarding and you will have a great mentor to further progress your skills. You will be responsible for making sure your tasks are completed in a timely fashion and any of your projects will be on-time and on budget. You will have opportunities for growth both professionally and technically. If you are easily stressed out or a clock puncher this is not the job for you. If you like to work hard, play hard, and be challenged at every turn I want to hear from you.

Send me a pm if you have questions or are interested in either position.

Regards,

~Cp

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Man, you had me on that first position except for it being in California. Couldn't move the family that far.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    earweed wrote: »
    Man, you had me on that first position except for it being in California. Couldn't move the family that far.

California is awesome. Leave them.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe for the second job with the free pr0n! lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    earweed wrote: »
    Maybe for the second job with the free pr0n! lol

I wonder if they fire people who bring terabyte external hard drives to work.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    dynamik wrote: »
    California is awesome. Leave them.

Yes, but only for right now. You don't want to be here when the state finally goes bankrupt and has to get bailed out by the Feds. It will be ugly.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ah, come on California isn't bad (even if our govenator can't pronounce it)! You wouldn't need to bring the drive into the office. Pretty much everyone gets free access to the membership sites if they want it =)
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Man if I only still lived in Riverside, I just had to move to Phoenix didn't I. Grrrrrr.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1