Options

UMUC B.S. Cybersecurity?

ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone know anyone that has done the online B.S. Cybersecurity program at University of Maryland University College? I was looking at online undergraduate options for IT security type. I also am looking at Utica college they also have an online cybersecurity degree, however that one seems to focus more on criminal justice based on the courses for that degree. How respectable is UMUC? I know its reginally certified. And UMUC is also a NSA National Center of Academic Excellence as well.

Comments

• Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Not sure man. I'm kind of fed up regarding schools that advertise on TV and the Radio. I too am looking for grad school, but I'm trying to get away from DeVry, ITT, UMUC, WGU, and whatever tomorrows money maker is. The reality of the situation is that having done my undergrad at DeVry it's going to be a lot tougher for me to goto Grad school at a state university, but in the end I think that would be best.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    phantasm wrote: »
    Not sure man. I'm kind of fed up regarding schools that advertise on TV and the Radio. I too am looking for grad school, but I'm trying to get away from DeVry, ITT, UMUC, WGU, and whatever tomorrows money maker is. The reality of the situation is that having done my undergrad at DeVry it's going to be a lot tougher for me to goto Grad school at a state university, but in the end I think that would be best.

I thought along those lines as well but with my work schedule I would be screwed trying to go anywhere else.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005

Look at Nova Southeastern University, they have an online masters in infosec in a few flavors. They are a B&M uni with the program online or in the classroom.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anyone know anyone that has done the online B.S. Cybersecurity program at University of Maryland University College? I was looking at online undergraduate options for IT security type. I also am looking at Utica college they also have an online cybersecurity degree, however that one seems to focus more on criminal justice based on the courses for that degree. How respectable is UMUC? I know its reginally certified. And UMUC is also a NSA National Center of Academic Excellence as well.

As a native Marylander I will be happy to answer this lol. I looked into the program a little bit ago and was literally about to start this fall but decided to take a different route. The CyberSec degree program is literally just starting so no one from UMUC should have the degree as of yet. UMUC is a branch of the University of Maryland Systems and believe it or not, a lot of students at UMUC take classes at UMCP (the main UMD campus which is next door). When you graduate, regardless of campus, you get a degree from the "University of Maryland" and not "UMUC". The University of Maryland is a very well known, top notch college (from my experience during my undergrad), and will carry a lot of weight in terms of it being accredited.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

Have you done any prep work for your GRE? Devry is regionally accredited, so grad school, if that's the route you want to go, won't be a bad deal and probably the GRE will be needed for you if that's what you need (some places don't bother with GRE).

Many of the WGU students/alumni I've spoken to (myself included) are also looking into a B&M school right after WGU. I feel, as many others do, that a Masters from a B&M will at least tell employers who aren't sold on online education that I was still serious in continuing my education, but honestly, I could sell the WGU education just as I'm sure you could sell Devry. I've worked with 2 people so far with Devry degrees...one has made it to management (though after I left and there were other things involved with that) and the other is the Cisco guy.

So if grad school is where you want to go and you got a Bachelor's, don't give up on grad schools in your area. Also, I don't know how the VA radio market is, but in NYC, you would hear a lot of traditional (smaller and somewhat bigger) schools on the radio and TV.
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Being in the military I would have to give a thumbs up. UMUC is probably the most military friendly college out there and probably the most well known of them too. I originally signed up for the Information Assurance Degree but plan on switching over to the Cyber Security.

A slight side comment here. Is anyone else annoyed by the constant use of the word Cyber? A few years ago they would have just used Computer or Information System instead.
  • Options
    wastedtime wrote: »
    A slight side comment here. Is anyone else annoyed by the constant use of the word Cyber? A few years ago they would have just used Computer or Information System instead.

Yup, it actually drives me crazy. Probably because I don't know anyone in the IT field who uses that term. The term Cyber Crime is another annoyance.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    The SANS Security Graduate School is suppose to be getting CHEA regional accreditation in 2011, so that's an option for people looking to start an InfoSec degree after a year or so.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    The SANS Security Graduate School is suppose to be getting CHEA regional accreditation in 2011, so that's an option for people looking to start an InfoSec degree after a year or so.

Really? If they were to obtain Regional Accreditation then I would seriously consider taking that path... :)
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    wastedtime wrote: »
    Being in the military I would have to give a thumbs up. UMUC is probably the most military friendly college out there and probably the most well known of them too. I originally signed up for the Information Assurance Degree but plan on switching over to the Cyber Security.

Most military-friendly? Not in my experience. I went through Excelsior for my degree because they transferred damn near everything. UMUC would not. It might be great for some even most people, but for people like me, I had about 170+ undergrad hours from a variety of sources, it was ridiculous to be told that I still had to take at least 30 hours through them, which would take at least two years part time, since they would only accept X amount of hours as transfer credit.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Really? Now if they would get Regional Accreditation I would seriously consider taking that path... :)
    It's been over a year since I talked with their registrar, but that was their schedule. They were expecting to receive NSA ACE certification first, but that's now a long wait too.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    UMUC looks interesting... my sister did her B.S. at UMBC. However I wonder if the online programs state "Online" on the diploma's.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    It's been over a year since I talked with their registrar, but that was their schedule. They were expecting to receive NSA ACE certification first, but that's now a long wait too.

I don't plan on graduating till the end of 2011. I'm sure we will here more by then. Thanks for the info JD icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Just found this notice on the SANS Technology Institute's web site:

The SANS Technology Institute
    SANS Technology Institute is authorized by the Maryland Higher Education Commission to grant the Master of Science Degrees in Information Security Engineering and Information Security Management.

SANS Technology Institute is a Candidate for Accreditation by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. (267-284-5000).
    Candidate for Accreditation
    is a status of affiliation with a regional accrediting commission which indicates that an institution has achieved initial recognition and is progressing toward, but is not assured of, accreditation. It has provided evidence of sound planning, appears to have the resources to implement the plans, and appears to have the potential for reaching its goals within a reasonable time.
    Candidate for Accreditation status was granted in March 2010.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UMUC looks interesting... my sister did her B.S. at UMBC. However I wonder if the online programs state "Online" on the diploma's.

I doubt it. When I was looking at UMUC, UI-Springfield, UMass-Lowell, etc, I had found that the degree would only say the name of the institution, and not specify "online" on the degree. Between the costs and the amount of time, I opted not to bother with them. But I'm pretty sure that the degree would be the same as if you went the traditional B&M route.
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I doubt it. When I was looking at UMUC, UI-Springfield, UMass-Lowell, etc, I had found that the degree would only say the name of the institution, and not specify "online" on the degree. Between the costs and the amount of time, I opted not to bother with them. But I'm pretty sure that the degree would be the same as if you went the traditional B&M route.

I also doubt it. Almost all of the classes I have seen are offered online or B&M.