Options

Banner Flaw

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
After playing around with the banner command to understand how it works, I discovered something. Did anyone notice the flaw in the banner command?

If you have the password configured for the console line, and you decided to set up a banner message with the banner exec command by doing what I did:

Router(config)#banner exec hello
Enter TEXT message. End with the character 'h'.
O I C How it works. hahahah
Router(config)#exit
Router#

You would get the "ello" string that will appear after you type in your password to log on the console. Imagine someone using a bad word as a delimiter instead of hello icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I believe they mentioned that in any book, I think. Whatever character you use after the exec, motd, will be the delimiting character.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thehourman wrote: »
    I believe they mentioned that in any book, I think. Whatever character you use after the exec, motd, will be the delimiting character.

+1. Agreed.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's not my point. I know we're suppose to use one delimiter character, but like I said I was playing around with the command, but I did not expect to see the string "ello" after entering the password for the console terminal. I think whoever developed the IOS left a bug. Did you guys actually try to experiment what I mentioned above? Please let me know if you see the same result.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Maybe I'm not following you but where's the bug? if i typed in that I would fully expect to see a banner that reads exactly:
    ello
    O I C How it works.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Router(config)#banner exec hello
    Enter TEXT message. End with the character 'h'.
    O I C How it works. hahahah
    Router(config)#exit

When you type "banner exec" the next character you enter will be the delimiting character. In this case when you type "hello" it takes the "h" as the opening of your banner. Thus, "ello" is the first text to appear in the banner, with the banner ending the next time you type "h".
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What xenodamus said.