Options

Entry level job titles to search for?

david.schaeferdavid.schaefer Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Background:
I have recently completed a quick AAS focused on network systems administration and obtained net+ and sec+ certifications. I have no work experience and understand that everyone has to start at the bottom. I currently have a passion for networking and network/system security but this clearly may change once I obtain work experience.

Question:
What jobs are actually within my ability and what positions should I be searching for?

I know that a help desk position seems to be a starting point for many but are there other positions that could be considered a starting point (e.g. desktop support, technician, Jr. positions, etc.)? I am in no way trying to skip an entry level position, I am simply trying to broaden my search for a job.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
WIP: A+

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First off welcome to TE!!!

These days its about being a "fit" and networking. If you have contacts that can drop you into a junior network role, by all means take the advantage. Definitely apply to all the example positions you posted because you never know who might read your resumé.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First off welcome to TE!!!

These days its about being a "fit" and networking. If you have contacts that can drop you into a junior network role, by all means take the advantage. Definitely apply to all the example positions you posted because you never know who might read your resumé.

Network = Networth......I'm coming to that realization. I apply to jobs even if I think I may not have the same experience because like rogue2shadow, you never know who reads your resume. 6 Degrees of Separations I tell....small world, I've learned that just in my past interview this past week
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    My first technical job was firewall administration. So don't limit your search too much!
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • Options
    mark_s0mark_s0 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't limit your search just by job titles. Due to the many different job titles used these days, searching by location would probably be more productive for you.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would try and network with classmates, family, local groups/clubs etc. My first IT job was due to a classmate that sat next to me in one of my classes who remembered me a year later when I was looking for work.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should just apply for what interests you.
  • Options
    david.schaeferdavid.schaefer Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I am currently revising the resume and will soon attempt to get my foot in the door :).
    WIP: A+