Juniper Resident Engineer candidate

AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
Hey everybody,

I'm moving on from my current position, Resident Engineer for Juniper Networks, and so I'm looking for a qualified candidate to take my spot. The job is located in Edmonton Canada and would involve supporting a major telecom. Since this position is located in Canada, Canadian candidates would be preferred but US based candidates are acceptable. This is a full time salaried position that will contain full benefits, such as bonuses, health/vision/dental, paid vacation, possible relocation assistance, stock options. And lets not forget, it's working for Juniper :D

Candidates with Juniper experience and certifications would be preferred but this is not necessary. As long as a candidate has very strong networking skills and interpersonal communication skills they would be fine. Also, there's plenty of paid training and Juniper will pay for certifications.

Below is a general job description, please note that even though the description says minimum of 7 years experience this is not a hard set requirement. I had about 2 years experience when I applied and because I knew my stuff I was able to take the job. :)

Please let me know if there are any questions via PM or feel free to reply to this thread.

Job Description

Reporting to the Manager of Professional Services, Americas, this is a highly technical role, providing post-sales on-site support of Junipers Network Products. The Resident Engineer will be required to develop and maintain an expertise on the products deployed within the Customers network.

Responsibilities

This is a full-time position on-site at the customer location and may require long work hours. On-site technical support to the Customer may require the RE:

· [FONT=&quot]To hold design and information gathering workshops with the Customer to understand the Customer’s existing network design and technical requirements of new network designs.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To understand the Customer’s organizational structure and become familiar with the Customer’s network implementation and support processes and procedures to help in designing a network that is available and sustainable.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To carry out testing of new Designs, features, and functionality as required by the Customer in a laboratory environment and to help develop plans to implement and verify that they are operating correctly in the live network[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To test patches and fixes to operating software and to ensure that they are implemented and functioning correctly in the pre-production test network and then live network as implementation plans dictate.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To troubleshoot equipment and network problems and to open and track JTAC cases through to problem resolution on pre and post production issues.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To raise equipment Return Material Authorizations (RMA’s) and to track these through to problem resolution[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To produce a written summary report of the status of Design projects, equipment and network problems on a regular basis to the Customer[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To hold technology workshops with the Customer to discuss equipment and network problems, and to provide case status updates, including the reasons for any problems encountered and the workarounds and/or solutions that are being tried[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To train the Customer’s design, implementation and support personnel to configure and operate the Juniper Networks products[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]To assist the Customer to develop Network Operating and Equipment Operating Procedures[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Support design and planning of Juniper M and T Series network routing products within the Customer infrastructure[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Support ongoing efforts in defining best practice policies for Juniper product applications used by Customer[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]The Resident Engineer is expected to peer with other employees performing similar resident engineering roles where lessons learned may help minimize risk associated with major network upgrades or changes in the network.[/FONT]

The RE will be expected to develop secondary skills in other products in the Juniper product portfolio.

Base Qualifications

Candidates for this role MUST have a minimum of 7 years experience providing implementation and technical support of networking products in LAN, WAN, or Internet services environments. Candidates for this role must also have a minimum of 3 years experience designing IP networks.

Candidates for this role MUST be able to demonstrate the following competencies:

1) Detailed technical experience in the installation and operation of IP routers. This includes hands-on operation of management tools and network analyzers.
2) A detailed understanding of the protocols surrounding IP service provider networks. These skills should include: a. TCP/IP fundamentals, b. IP subnetting and supernetting and hierarchical routing principles, c. Routing protocol (OSPF, IS-IS, and BGP-4) operation, migration, and scaling mechanisms, d. Routing policies at BGP peering points, e. VPNs and the associated tunneling technologies (L2TP, MPLS, etc.),
3) A detailed understanding of Layer 2 protocols and technologies such as: ATM, Frame Relay, POS, DS0, DS1, and DS3, PPP, PPPoE, and PPPoA
4) Strong Interpersonal skills.
5) The ability to function in a team environment.
6) Hands-on configuration and operational knowledge of CISCO, Redback, Juniper Networks, Unisphere Networks, and/or Nortel Products.
7) Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and work calmly under pressure.
"Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you moving up or laterally? Just wanted to know if congratulations were in order.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    It's a up move :D I'm joining the Juniper Curriculum Development team which focuses on creating the Juniper courseware. So I'll be tied directly to the certification team so I'll have a hand in the direction Juniper goes there.

Big plus of the job is that it's a strictly remote job, so no more fighting traffic or riding next to stinky people on the bus ;)

-Bender
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats and that's a great job from the sound of it. Will you still keep your moderator position here or would it create some type of confict of interest? It seems that if you stay here it should increase the presence of the Juniper forums.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    earweed wrote: »
    Will you still keep your moderator position here or would it create some type of confict of interest?
    Don't see why it would. Nobody here speaks in any official company capacity anyway and at the end of the day, it is just giving advice on publicly known information or techniques.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Aldur wrote: »
    It's a up move :D I'm joining the Juniper Curriculum Development team which focuses on creating the Juniper courseware. So I'll be tied directly to the certification team so I'll have a hand in the direction Juniper goes there.
    Congratulations!

If only I had more Juniper experience and was actually in the country! ;)
    no more fighting traffic or riding next to stinky people on the bus ;)
    Wow. You're really selling this job! ;)
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264

Big plus of the job is that it's a strictly remote job, so no more fighting traffic or riding next to stinky people on the bus ;)

Congrats man! You definitely seem like one of the most knowledgeable Juniper people I've seen.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□

Congratulations Aldur. I wish you the best and remember you still need to get dressed in the morning. Don't become a hermit. :)
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man! great move indeed!

Good luck in the role.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Man, I would love that. Plus living in the Alberta area would be a deer hunting dream come-true to me.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
    Thanks for all the congrats guys. I'm really excited to start the my new job. I'm gonna miss Canada and the people I work with. I had many good times and I'll definitely be keeping in touch with those people.

I definitely won't miss the winters though ;)

-Bender
  • sainthsainth Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Aldur!! Hope there's a Juniper job here in NC icon_smile.gif
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Congrats Aldur! Wish you well in your future endeavors...
    Thanks again for the congrats guys! I'm looking forward to the move. Now the scary part is getting everything packed up and ready to go in about 2 weeks icon_surprised.gif

-Bender
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gratz on the new gig.