Options

DOD: Gotomypc

2E1512E151 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Got some troops down range that want to have gotomypc installed on their home computers so they can access it from their unclassified (NIPR) army computers.

Anyone dealt with something like this?

Comments

• Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I doubt it is even allowed through the proxy/firewall. Even if it was it would be a violation of the User Access Agreement. I would break that out and read through it. I am sure there are other rules that would be breaking but off the top of my head that is the one I can think of.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,049 Admin
    You need to run a request for remote access through your IT people. Data ex-filtration is a serious problem for both the corporate and DoD sectors. The recent Wikileaks incident by that PFC has really gotten the brass to take another look at how people are the weak link in information security. You install any remote access software or hardware without proper approval and you will probably be looking at some overly severe disciplinary action.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    You need to run a request for remote access through your IT people. Data ex-filtration is a serious problem for both the corporate and DoD sectors. The recent Wikileaks incident by that PFC has really gotten the brass to take another look at how people are the weak link in information security. You install any remote access software or hardware without proper approval and you will probably be looking at some overly severe disciplinary action.

+1 w/JD. At this very moment, gotomypc.com is blocked by smartfilter. Even if it's not blocked downrange, speaking as an Army IA professional, there would be repercussions. If it's not blocked, they would be better off getting approval - but I can say with some degree of certainty that I, for one, would not approve it, if the request came to me... I can't think of a reason why someone needs access to their home PC to do their job. In fact, the only reasons I can think of, would get them in trouble. (games, movies, pron, etc.

edit - gotomypc.com is blocked on the army network I am on.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We filter ALL traffic from our network to GotomyPC & Logmein.

We had an "incident" where a intern accessed/copied some case files via Logmein. He then tried selling those files to a National Media Outlet. They ended up reporting it to Law Enforcement and he was arrested afterwards but the damage was done and he had created a major sh** storm!
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    When I worked for the City one of the managers installed GoToMyPC on their application server so a vendor could access the box remotely to do maintenance....The application server was also a domain controller.....icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    When I worked for the City one of the managers installed GoToMyPC on their application server so a vendor could access the box remotely to do maintenance....The application server was also a domain controller.....icon_rolleyes.gif

I really hope that was your attempt at a joke
  • Options
    Stiltz79Stiltz79 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's dangerous... I work for a large manufacturing company and we filter that traffic because of R&D information that's very classified. We can't afford to have any of that information getting out.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Lol no I am not joking. When I was hired I did a basic audit and realized there were 20+ domain admins. I was like wtf..they did not know about adding people to local admin group. Like I said before this was my first exposure to how important security is.