Options

Lateral move and pay increase?

Would you for example someone who does server/desktop work but wants to get into networking take a new job that is lateral in every sense so just desktop and some server work? The benefits would be about a 15k pay increase and closer location to where you live. Cons the job would not in any way give you any more knowledge towards networking however your current job doesn't either.

If the answer is yes how long would you stay in the new job for before looking again?

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So I see more money (That is an extra $300 each week!) and closer location as pros and don't see any cons.

Go for it
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I see nothing but pros here.
    Do you know of your chances to advance at the next job? If you go and don't advance in less than 2 years then definitely start looking elsewhere.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Seems like you answered your question with your initial statement. Everything looks like a pro to me.....location, pay increaseicon_thumright.gif As long as there is room for advancement it seems like an excellent move.
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I would think the 15k raise would be enough to seal the deal, but the location seems like an added bonus
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Not every job change has to increase your responsibility/knowledge base. Some job changes are solely for comfort alone, and I think that's perfectly fine. If it earns you more money, decreases your stress, lowers your time away from home, etc, then I think a lateral move is always worth it.

In your case, a pay increase to do the same work, AND closer to home? Yes, please.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Nice thanks guys I think that was the answer I was leaning towards.. As far as advancement there is basically no advancement opportunity at this new job from what I gather unless I move out of state which I am not willing to do.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I look at this way. Take the extra money your going to earn and get more training and more certifications and build a bigger and better lab and learn on your own. Money is just as good as promotion :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I want a job that is substantially the same as mine now, is closer to where I live, and pays more.