Options

Why do we need dedicated DHCP servers?

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I'm just curious what practical use does a dedicated DHCP server hold over a hardware router in a corporate environment? I know back in the bad old days it was needed but hardware has come down. Whats so hard about purchasing a router and then daisy chaining the switches?

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If you want integration into DNS or something like AD then you'd want it on a server.

DHCP is a software process on a router so you're making it dedicate time to handling that instead of actually routing.

The router DHCP implementation generally doesn't give you all the options that a DHCP server on a real machine will have.

It doesn't particularly matter if you're not running a high performance or large network but if you do then you won't want to do this. This also applies to you "purchasing a router and then daisy chaining the switches". That'll work for a small network but you're going to end up with horrendous issues with if you do that on anything but a small basic network. Its a fallacy of IT staff thinking networking is easy :P
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Nobody I know has a dedicated DHCP server. Normally DHCP runs along with Active Directory and DNS on a domain controller. Even then the server is normally not breathing hard, which is why virtualization is so grand.

Daisy chaining...what happens when the top switch goes out?
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    In a small-medium environment its not intensive enough to actually need to be on its own sever, so it can live with some other services.

My last job was a large environment (12,000+ devices) so we used a virtual machine on a failover cluster to provide DHCP services. Nothing else was installed on that VM. It performed very well.
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Nobody I know has a dedicated DHCP server. Normally DHCP runs along with Active Directory and DNS on a domain controller. Even then the server is normally not breathing hard, which is why virtualization is so grand.

Daisy chaining...what happens when the top switch goes out?

Interesting. I have been a fan of running corporate DHCP on nas-file-print servers myself. If the file/print servers are really taxed, then I would run DHCP on a workstation class machine.

Each company definitely has their own way of doing things.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think managment is the other thing? You suggest running DHC on the router??

easy when you only have two or three scopes, but my DHCP server has 40+ scopes at the last count, managing this on a router would be hideous.

Then integrating DHCP and DNS with AD would add another factor on top. Im with the guys suggesting DNS and DHCP on the same box, and if you have AD add to a Domain controler.

But if you watch out DHCP sever (which is stand alone) at 8-9am it has a spike as every pc gets turned on, as dose the domain controlers.

The best solution is a VM machine as as people log on teh DHCP servers can utilise the resorces, and then once that calms down and people ae using other services such s email the resources can go over to that.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.