Options

Difficulty Level?

sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
I just got my CCNA and my job is sending me to a 16 day CCNP boot camp. First question, in terms of difficulty how would you rate the individual tests vs the CCNA composite test? Is it like taking three CCNA test in terms of difficulty? Or are they a little less rigorous since you have to do three of them?

Also, any advice on preparing for the Boot camp? I know from the CCNA one I did that those things are intense. It was a few hours of study every night for 6 days and the test on the 7th day.

Comments

• Options
    abhustlerabhustler Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I thought the BSCI and the BCMSN were harder than the CCNA but the ISCW and ONT were easier. 16 days? Do they expect you to pass the exams after the boot camp? For someone that just passed the CCNA passing the CCNP in 16 days seems like incredible amount of material to digest. Best of luck.
    A master at anything was once a beginner
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I completed my CCNP doing the 4 exam version and it took a year. I cannot see how attending a bootcamp is of any benefit unless your/their only motivation is for you to have a peice of paper in your hand quickly.

I do not see how you could possibly learn and retain everything you need to know in that short of time frame especially if you are coming directly off of completing your CCNA.

The exams when I took them were night and day harder than the NA exam. It was not simply memorizing facts and figures, but knowing everything about routing and switching protocols, being able to look at output from configs and spotting problems, etc....

If you are heading to the bootcamp, I would make sure it is legit and not just handing out **** and teach to the test.

Just my 2 cents
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
    Yup, that's the plan. They're an authorized testing center, so I THINK what they do is have you take the tests as you go instead of all at the end. So, the first one would be like after 5 days, then the second one after like 10 and then the third one at the end. So you would get like 5 days of prep for each one. If you fail any of the tests you get a voucher to retake it at any time, so if I fail one or more of them I get a free retake later and at least I'll have a feel of what to expect on the test for the next time. I am a little nervous about it, but all I can do is what I can do.
  • Options
    Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    I agree with all of the above. It's cool that you work at a place that would spend the cash and give up your time for that much training, but I don't believe the cards are stacked in your favor.

If you'd been doing CCNP-level work for a while and your company wanted/needed you to be "official", then it'd probably would be fine, but for a recent CCNA... I dunno. Prepare to defend your confidence from being crushed by your company's failure to understand reality.
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you'd been doing CCNP-level work for a while and your company wanted/needed you to be "official", then it'd probably would be fine,

I agree,

I started my CCNP track about 5 months back (not straight after my NA) and passed the ROUTE only a month ago and sitting my SWITCH in about 3 weeks time.

You really have to know your stuff with the newer exams, you need to be able to look at a config and know exactly were the issues are and what you need to change in order to get it working correctly.

Enjoy the boot camp, but try to get a copy of the official curriculum (if its not given out in the boot camp as material) and read it through until you understand all the concepts thoroughly.

Then lab it up and after alot of labbing sit and ace the exam!!!

Have fun!!! (I wish my company would send me on a bootcamp that long *yawn* I could do with the rest off work)...

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • Options
    tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess I am just a slow to learn some things, but I couldn't possibly imagine doing the CCNP after the CCNA in that short of time.

Maybe... if it was 8 hours a day and I had a good lesson plan and all of the equipment to test every topic discussed, but sheesh, that is a plate full for sure.

I am still working on the Switch myself, I am around 4 months into it already and I think I am close, but until recently I haven't had any way to practice what I was learning and simply reading the book and trying to remember everything without hands on was just a nightmare, it really messed up my rhythm in learning as I constantly wanted to get my hands dirty, but could only sit and try to write it up on a white board as to what I would do.

I think route will be easier (only in that with dynamips I will be able to lab as I learn which will be a great help). I think it will take me less time to do route than it did Switch because of it.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Those boot camps, IMO, are for people who already posses the skills and want them engrained into their head before the take the exam. If you are one of those people, you could POSSIBLY do it all in 16 days.

I certainly have never heard of anyone getting a CCNP in 16 days. Tell us how it goes.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tanix wrote: »
    I guess I am just a slow to learn some things, but I couldn't possibly imagine doing the CCNP after the CCNA in that short of time.

Maybe... if it was 8 hours a day and I had a good lesson plan and all of the equipment to test every topic discussed, but sheesh, that is a plate full for sure.

I am still working on the Switch myself, I am around 4 months into it already and I think I am close, but until recently I haven't had any way to practice what I was learning and simply reading the book and trying to remember everything without hands on was just a nightmare, it really messed up my rhythm in learning as I constantly wanted to get my hands dirty, but could only sit and try to write it up on a white board as to what I would do.

I think route will be easier (only in that with dynamips I will be able to lab as I learn which will be a great help). I think it will take me less time to do route than it did Switch because of it.

Tanix, you should check out Jeremy Stretch's Community Lab at his website, packetlife.net. It's free and he has more than enough equipment for the SWITCH.

To the OP, 16 days is a short time, but if your job is paying for it... by all means do it with no regrets! It's a lot of material to try to retain in that short time, but I don't think its impossible. Good luck!!! icon_thumright.gif Let us know how it goes...

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey peanutnoggin,

Great Link!!! Registering now... thanks again.

To the OP, how much experince did you have coming into your CCNA? Do you work with the IOS everyday? How long have you been in networking? How well do you know the routing protocols, switch technology and troubleshooting network issues???

Reason why I'm asking is, you might just do it if you have the right experince going into the training as mentioned by chmorin.

Best of luck!

As always, tell us how you go!!!

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you dont have any experience with routing and switching beyond CCNA level, then well..um..erm...good luck with that hehe