Options

Dejected, Disgruntled & Searching hard

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I am really not feeling motivated at the moment. It's hard when you dread going to the office and I know many of you face the same issues day-to-day.

My job role is almost in de-evolution spikes at the moment. I am not getting any progress at all even when airing my concerns with my line manager. I am being used solely as a resource and when I do pick up something interesting to do it is purely proof of concept and never evolves into a project or proposal. All my work is support orientated at the moment, and not even the not so bad kind. All of my work is offsite support and then I am the sole person to go on-site if issues arise that cannot be fixed remotely (this includes 1st and 2nd line). Promised projects going to others because they cant lose me on support I am constantly told. I was meant to be setting up Exchange 2010 this quarter for our internal use.

I guess the easy solution is to move on and I really have tried. I have sent out applications and even had a few interviews. However, nothing has materialized as I want. My confidence is at an all time low and no matter the goals I set, I am finding it so hard to reach them.

How do you guys stay motivated going into exam study periods? I am finding it so hard to go home after work and put in the correct amount of time, ive been at snail pace in study this year as well. Do you channel yourself into pure tunnel mode and just use anger as a key to move up? I hate to say it, but being disgruntled is just making me more and more angry. I am finding it hard to channel that anger and I just come into work with a huge chip on my shoulder. It probably doesn't rub off well onto others but when you are being lied to and not progressed as promised....im sure you can appreciate it's hard.

Any advice on channelling Pash's anger is good. I do like golf by the way, but even whacking 50 down the range cant seem to shift it icon_sad.gif

Pash
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Well, fortunately, I have not gone throught that, however, I applaud you telling us how you feel and it is okay to vent to us. You definitely don't want to keep that inside let alone be angry, because that can bring about other issues. Listen, keep focused and surround yourself with anything that is positive. People will always let you down, but not God. I will pray for you my friend.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Hey man i'm there right now. Not sure if this helps or not but Ive been looking for 6 months! and still nothing ..... Although I do have a promising interview tomorrow. I find it exactly the same for studying as it's a weird cycle where I am so bored and disgruntled now that it's almost impossible to study but then again getting more certs would help find a job faster.

I guess the only thing that keeps me going is that I still have a few interviews here and there to keep me positive. It's hard to focus on your current job when basically you know you wont be there long term or even short term hopefully in both our cases. Keep looking man and try keep yourself busy even if it is repetitive mundane work. Instead of studying at home take some time and do some hobbies. Like you said golf or hit up the gym.

Hey life could be worse! you could have no job right now! :)
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will pray as well. Trust me just keep pushing. I have been there before. I was at one place that my boss treated me like I was some kind of tool and never needed sleep yet everyone else got to go home and spend time with their family. The reason being is the other two employees that he managed were from his previous positions and brought them over. Well eight months into that job I was offer another position and when they found out I was leaving they tried to counter offer and give me 15k more. I was like I can not do it. The IT Director called me in and asked me why i was leaving and I could not bury my manager but he asked if it was because of him. I explained to him no and so bad I wanted to say yes but I lied and was not something I was proud of. But today I am happy and working but looking for a better position with this or another company.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It’s a tough challenge, that’s for sure. My last job on the surface looked like everyone’s “dream job” but that’s not how it worked out. I found myself working 80 hour work weeks every week, on the road five or six weeks in a row, and generally treated poorly. I was seen more as an asset than as a person and that never settled well with me. Eventually it got to the point where my relationship with the company was damaged beyond repair. I didn’t have anything lined up and didn’t really expect to leave when I did but it was definitely for the better. My advice to you would be not to let your anger and frustration show outwardly to your employer very much. They may force your hand at finding a new job before you’re ready. Even a bad job is better than no job.

I agree with you that studying for certs becomes more difficult as your job frustration rises. You start to associate studying with work and if you hate your job you soon start hating studying. This can become dangerous though, because certs are often the best way into a better job. Maybe start studying for some certs that are completely unrelated to your job. I’d look for certs that are interesting to you and not pursued purely for your current job.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    NathanielTurnerNathanielTurner Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At the end of the day you have to be happy. I totally understand where you are coming from.We all have our challenges that we have to work through. I dont know your religious back ground and i wont preach to you. But what I do know is that sometimes we have to let go, control what you can and dont worry about the rest. It took me along time to get to that point.

I was the "angry" man for along time . It got to the point where my health was being affected.Blood Pressure was through the roof. I recently was terminated from a job and had to fight my company for unemployment. During the hearing the information would have you think that I was a rabid dog who needed to be put down.The labor dept saw through the BS and awarded me my unemployment.

I learned a valuable lesson through it all. You have to take care of yourself because its a mean ole world out here. Every body is not your friend and you have to look out for yourself. This goes against my faith because I try to see the best in all people. What I have learned to do is to put up my firewall and only let good traffic through. Life is too short to be miserable

Just my $.02

Agile.Mobile. Hostile
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    +1

I couldn't agree more..
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    It’s a tough challenge, that’s for sure. My last job on the surface looked like everyone’s “dream job” but that’s not how it worked out. I found myself working 80 hour work weeks every week, on the road five or six weeks in a row, and generally treated poorly. I was seen more as an asset than as a person and that never settled well with me. Eventually it got to the point where my relationship with the company was damaged beyond repair. I didn’t have anything lined up and didn’t really expect to leave when I did but it was definitely for the better. My advice to you would be not to let your anger and frustration show outwardly to your employer very much. They may force your hand at finding a new job before you’re ready. Even a bad job is better than no job.

I agree with you that studying for certs becomes more difficult as your job frustration rises. You start to associate studying with work and if you hate your job you soon start hating studying. This can become dangerous though, because certs are often the best way into a better job. Maybe start studying for some certs that are completely unrelated to your job. I’d look for certs that are interesting to you and not pursued purely for your current job.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Hey man i'm there right now. Not sure if this helps or not but Ive been looking for 6 months! and still nothing ..... Although I do have a promising interview tomorrow. I find it exactly the same for studying as it's a weird cycle where I am so bored and disgruntled now that it's almost impossible to study but then again getting more certs would help find a job faster.

I guess the only thing that keeps me going is that I still have a few interviews here and there to keep me positive. It's hard to focus on your current job when basically you know you wont be there long term or even short term hopefully in both our cases. Keep looking man and try keep yourself busy even if it is repetitive mundane work. Instead of studying at home take some time and do some hobbies. Like you said golf or hit up the gym.

Hey life could be worse! you could have no job right now! :)

Goodluck with that interview mate. Thank you all for your advice and experiences.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    I have said this many times in many threads but you need to move around to find the good work, you need to seek out the opportunities and take them. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    DV27DV27 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Pash, hi. 2010 really hasnt been a great year for us UKers has it (for everyone actually).. For me I started the year in the process of having my job role off-shored to HCL in India. I had been at my previous employer for over 14 years before they made the decision to do that, and we dreaded every day walking in to work with the guys who would soon leave to take our jobs away with them.

We had some time at our work place left feeling angry, and with a lot of uncertainty over the job market and what to do next. A few of us decided to have a bit of fun, and at the same time motivate each other to gain as many MCTS certs as possible. By the time most of us left at the end of February, I had gained two, and my friend had won by gaining three.. So into the job search we went with relevant certs to back up the experience we all had.

I managed to find a job and started in May, with the rest of our outsourced department all having jobs by a month later. We get together to talk about our experiences in the current market, but amongst certs, its the experience that goes with it that is regarded as highly too.

Two big things I learnt is that whatever you deal with that gets you down at the moment is something that potential employers look out for - make a list and arm yourself with all the experience bullet points you can and lay it down on there. And one thing I've learnt over the past months is to use sites like Monster.com.. get your profile up there and you'll get people calling you and wanting you rather than you chasing up agencies (agencies suck btw). Theres nothing better than being contacted out of the blue..

And remember that we are still in the late stages of the summer lull, give it a few more weeks and things should pick up like they normally do when companies want to get their pre-christmas projects in.

Good luck sir - hang on in there. And always remember that it's easier to look for new jobs when you have one!!
  • Options
    DV27 wrote: »

And remember that we are still in the late stages of the summer lull, give it a few more weeks and things should pick up like they normally do when companies want to get their pre-christmas projects in.

After a very quiet August things are actually picking up now, people are back from their holidays and the phone is ringing. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Thanks DV27 and Mojo for your kind words!

Yeh it seems quieter than the beginning of the year for sure. I am getting contacted by recruiters, but the jobs that I am actually suited for I cant seem to get an interview. The jobs that dont appeal to me, seem to fly in.

I have my cv searchable on cwjobs and reed. You recommend Monster as well?

Ill give that a go.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Pash buddy it's tough out there at the moment. And keep in mind the summer holidays have only just finished its alway quiet then. Things hopefully will pick up again between now and the end of the year (when it typically drops again)

Keeping the motivation going is always tough when your demotivated and things arent going quite the way you want. All I would say is keep reading and keep your mind fresh, don't beat yourself up for the things you can't change but focus on the things that you can icon_smile.gif

Keep knocking on the doors buddy and something will come up icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Pash wrote: »

I have my cv searchable on cwjobs and reed. You recommend Monster as well?

and http://www.technojobs.co.uk/ http://www.theitjobboard.com/ and http://www.jobserve.co.uk/ most agencies cross post but some do not.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Pash

I am in the exact same boat as you - can't make any progress in my current job, and feel like I might get made redundant.

What is worse - I have been looking for nigh upon 10 months seriously for a new job and haven't gotten anything.

The jobs that do come up and not what I really want. Maybe I am being too selective, but then why should I take a job that will not yield any more in terms of salary, and not really what I want to do?

It is in fact the exams that KEEP me motivated. I'm working towards the CCIE and know that once I have completed it, I should have a lot less trouble finding a job. I'd like to think that jobs will come looking for ME instead.. but that may be wishful thinking.

However, I keep on plugging away, because I know one day all this recession crap will go away, and everyone will start making progress again.

I hope.
  • Options
    Mojo_666 wrote: »

Thanks Mojo. Ill get myself on there this week as well.

Hi Gorebrush mate! Wow, I didn't think with your certs or experience you would find any trouble getting a new position. My friend is finishing his CCNP this week with his troubleshooting exam, fingers crossed he passes and then little prospect for a job he's interested in....which seems a big shame.

Is the market just flooded at the moment, or are there no jobs at all?
  • Options
    I think my location is what is going against me - I'm in South Wales, and there is very very little in the way of permanent work, let alone pure Network jobs.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Promised projects going to others because they cant lose me on support I am constantly told.

Tell them they are going to lose you if they don't start living up to their promises.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pash, golf sucks; you need to find a better hobby. No wonder you have all that pent up rage. Doing something masochistic like golf will just make matters worse and increase your level of stress and frustration.

I recommend blowing things up. The new Halo game came out today (unless the UK has a staggered release). Why don't you give that a try? It has the added benefit of not having to be exposed to fresh air and sunlight, both of which will wound a geek's soul.

In the mean time, try to wrap up that MSCE. That's going to make your resume pop a lot more than an MCSA, and I would assume most places would require that as a baseline unless you have some stellar experience to compensate.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The market is flooded in some areas but you have to make yourself stand out more then others. I have built alot of certification and working on degree and trust me the phone calls are coming in. I have had 4 interviews in the past 2 weeks. I also looking at my present employer for a position.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey Pash mate,

Like many others have said, I've been there too and its not much fun at all. I hope you work through it and come out the other side - you just need a lucky break. Regarding hunting down a new job, are you looking to stay "darn sarf" or would you consider relocating up north where the weather is cr@p but the beer is better? Reason I ask is there is a job going at my place of work which may be of a decent(ish) fit.

Anyways, chin up pal, you might win the lotto this week :D

P.S. I also agree with Dyn though, golf is truly a spoil of a good walk.......
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    brewdbrewd Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're definitely not alone Pash, I feel pretty much exactly where you're coming from. I was recently rejected for a Senior Network Engineer promotion and told by my manager that I wouldn't be able to take even an expanded role in my current position (essential a Senior Network Admin) because my job description didn't include the responsibilities that I wanted to take on...

After that I updated my resume, posted it on a few sites and have been rather active in searching for jobs as well. I've had one interview for which I didn't have enough experience (I gather) and have another lined up for this Thursday.

I too can't stand going in to work each day. Waking up alone can be painful when you feel that way...but as a few have mentioned, having a job during a job search is a blessing.

Don't give up, keep looking for external opportunities and try not to let your current position keep you from increasing your skills and certifications. I understand how the situation at work can really kill the urge to study for new certs, trust me, but at least they make it that must easier to get interview opportunities.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I feel for you because I was in the exact same spot a couple of years ago. I had gone as far as I could in my previous job, and to make matters worse a new manager made my job unbearable. I started looking for a new position, and although I was getting interviews most of them wanted me for about $20k less than my market value. The job was making me miserable and the search wasn't helping so I put the search on hold for a few months. I hit the books and wrapped up my MCITP:EA before getting back to the search

A couple of days after I passed 647, a position was posted that was an exact match for my skills and goals. I applied, got the job and now have new challenges. I hate to break out cliches like 'it's always darkest before the dawn', but sometimes they are true. If I had settled for one of those other positions I may not have been looking when my current position was available. I stuck it out at a place I hated for a little while longer and wound up with a job that I really like.

Keep fighting the good fight and something will break in your favor.
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    I feel for you because I was in the exact same spot a couple of years ago. I had gone as far as I could in my previous job, and to make matters worse a new manager made my job unbearable. I started looking for a new position, and although I was getting interviews most of them wanted me for about $20k less than my market value. The job was making me miserable and the search wasn't helping so I put the search on hold for a few months. I hit the books and wrapped up my MCITP:EA before getting back to the search

A couple of days after I passed 647, a position was posted that was an exact match for my skills and goals. I applied, got the job and now have new challenges. I hate to break out cliches like 'it's always darkest before the dawn', but sometimes they are true. If I had settled for one of those other positions I may not have been looking when my current position was available. I stuck it out at a place I hated for a little while longer and wound up with a job that I really like.

Keep fighting the good fight and something will break in your favor.

Does that mean I'll be stuck here for another 18 months while I finish up the CCIE? I hope not! Though that is an awesome story.

I was hoping finishing the CCNP would guarantee me a way out of here, but not the case so far.

Getting worse and worse here - I put forward loads of recommendations back in July, with Head Office taking quite a lot of interest, but i've not heard anything since.

Considering I am a CCNP trying to focus on networks - This is the crap I've dealt with this morning

1. Someone needs a new headset
    2. Barcode scanner is on the blink
    3. Someone needs putting on a wireless network

I mean - I'm tired of this crap icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Seriously, thanks fella's. It makes it that bit easier knowing people have the same frustrations as I do, day to day.

You're are all right, I need to progress my certs and skills further. I do have good experience over the last three years, maybe I am not selling it well enough. I am not sure. But its all up for review. I have a lot more motivation yesterday and today.

Best of luck to you all and please let us know how people are getting on.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Seriously, thanks fella's. It makes it that bit easier knowing people have the same frustrations as I do, day to day.

You're are all right, I need to progress my certs and skills further. I do have good experience over the last three years, maybe I am not selling it well enough. I am not sure. But its all up for review. I have a lot more motivation yesterday and today.

Best of luck to you all and please let us know how people are getting on.

Look at it from the bright side? At least you can look for another job while having a job. Looking for one while unemployed is stressful. I was looking for something closer to home but what I was finding was way lower pay and sounded like jobs where you would be treated like crap.

In the end I thought of what mattered most to me and that was providing food and shelter for my son. Plus I realized that many people today are struggling and I was complaining about a job that paid me a lot, had great benefits and a decent work environment.

I guess you can find positive things you can do at work that will make impressive bullet points on your resume and prepare for your next job.
  • Options
    Well blow me - there *IS* light at the end of the tunnel.

Have just been invited to interview with a major IT outsourcing firm, and their office is 15 minutes from my house.
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Well blow me - there *IS* light at the end of the tunnel.

Have just been invited to interview with a major IT outsourcing firm, and their office is 15 minutes from my house.

Hey best of luck bud! Let us know how it go's.

Pash