"Which Certifications?" the Newbie Says

BYNYNEBYNYNE Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
This is my first post. Just signed up ten minutes ago.

I've been in the IT field for about 3 years, mainly tasked in asset management and digital asset management.

I've recently decided to go for my Microsoft certifications. I'm starting with 70-680 and 70-685; thinking they might build a solid foundation for my venture into the IT field.

My interest isn't in Helpdesk but more geared to Windows and Web Development.

I've been reviewing the Microsoft site, mainly the career path portion...a lot of the certifications beyond the scope of the tech level certification require years of experience such as Windows Developer and Web Developer.

My question is this...are these certs a good foundation for IT Professionals or is it possible to start with the entry level certs geared toward those IT Professions.

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    BYNYNE wrote: »
    This is my first post. Just signed up ten minutes ago.

I've been in the IT field for about 3 years, mainly tasked in asset management and digital asset management.

I've recently decided to go for my Microsoft certifications. I'm starting with 70-680 and 70-685; thinking they might build a solid foundation for my venture into the IT field.

My interest isn't in Helpdesk but more geared to Windows and Web Development.

I've been reviewing the Microsoft site, mainly the career path portion...a lot of the certifications beyond the scope of the tech level certification require years of experience such as Windows Developer and Web Developer.

My question is this...are these certs a good foundation for IT Professionals or is it possible to start with the entry level certs geared toward those IT Professions.

IT is a generally hard field to just 'get into' for some reason. You must open yourself up to all of IT, and then specialize and work your way up from there. This is why a 'standard' route is something like the A+, a helpdesk job, and then work on a specialized track. From that job you get your A+ and experience, then say you are like me and want to do networking. So I got my Network+ then my CCENT, then my CCNA, then a job in entry level networking, then my CCNA:V, and so on. Most people start at square one and move up.

That being said if you choose the MS route and do those exams, they would be great to get you into the industry. You have some experience in IT, so it is very well possible if you get trained enough, you could get an entry level job in what you desire, and work your way up from there.

Then again I'm young and not very experienced myself, so maybe someone else can provide better advice for you.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like chmorin gave you some good advice. I don't know exactly what your job entails or what you exactly want to do but you may be able to bypass the helpdesk component and go on to somewhere in where your interest lies from where you're at.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    IT is a generally hard field to just 'get into' for some reason. You must open yourself up to all of IT, and then specialize and work your way up from there. This is why a 'standard' route is something like the A+, a helpdesk job, and then work on a specialized track. From that job you get your A+ and experience, then say you are like me and want to do networking. So I got my Network+ then my CCENT, then my CCNA, then a job in entry level networking, then my CCNA:V, and so on. Most people start at square one and move up.

That being said if you choose the MS route and do those exams, they would be great to get you into the industry. You have some experience in IT, so it is very well possible if you get trained enough, you could get an entry level job in what you desire, and work your way up from there.

Then again I'm young and not very experienced myself, so maybe someone else can provide better advice for you.

Excellent info, A+ and N+ are crucial for the beginning.