Options

My birthday is coming up and...

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thats fine. My birthday is also coming up. So I'll buy you one of those if you buy me the latest souped up Alienware.

Deal?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll put your eye out.

MS
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Thats fine. My birthday is also coming up. So I'll buy you one of those if you buy me the latest souped up Alienware.

Deal?

No. But I will expect you to honor you end of our non existent deal.

On another note, I love the way the site says it is not a toy but then says owning one is pretty cool. I want one so bad.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    No. But I will expect you to honor you end of our non existent deal.

On another note, I love the way the site says it is not a toy but then says owning one is pretty cool. I want one so bad.

What would be the purpose of one of these? (and yes, I kind of want one now too lol)

I'll let you reconsider the deal. 6 months ago when I was bored and put one together it was only like $5,000. I don't think that is asking too much.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That thing looks like a lightsaber....lol
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    What would be the purpose of one of these? (and yes, I kind of want one now too lol)

I'll let you reconsider the deal. 6 months ago when I was bored and put one together it was only like $5,000. I don't think that is asking too much.

I cannot find a real reason to get one, besides owning one is close to owning a light saber (and that of course will make you #$%* bigger).
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    You'll put your eye out.

MS

ANd everyone else's!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    eMeS wrote: »
    You'll put your eye out.

MS
    What he said + you'll also cause a fire from you trying to burn tiny holes into various objects.

659d1284486261-my-birthday-coming-up-laserwarningsign.jpg
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The laser diode in this thing is most probably ripped out of a Bloo Ray writer drive. There are various guides which show you how to make your own laser pointer from the diode in an optical drive. Blue/violet if it is a Blu Ray etc...

If you're insane enough to actually buy this then get the correct safety goggles that will block the wavelength of light that this thing outputs. Don't use it when others are around either and lock it up when you're not burning holes into things.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    If you're insane enough to actually buy this then get the correct safety goggles that will block the wavelength of light that this thing outputs. Don't use it when others are around either and lock it up when you're not burning holes into things.

and I want to see a video
  • Options
    Beam diameter and beam divergences are two of the most important technical specifications to consider when choosing a laser.

Obviously beam diameter is just the diameter of a laser beam, measured in millimeters. Beam divergence measures how much the laser beam expands per meter. For example, a laser with a beam divergence of 1.0mRad will have a beam that expands 1.0mm per meter.

How do these two specs relate to each other? and more importantly, why does it matter?

It all comes down to how small the end "spot"(the diameter size of your leaser beam) is at certain distances. This is important because you want to point far, far away and because you want to burn stuff, lots of stuff.

Common senses tell us that if a laser beam diameter is small, it can go further and burn with more power than if it is big. Ideally, we want to have small beam diameter at aperture AND small beam divergence.
    http://www.wickedlasers.com/laser-tech/laser_beam_comparison.html

LOL need I say more?