Options

Whats the difference

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Question asked in book is

What steps to take to prevent VLAN hoping

Answer

A. prune the native vlan off both ends of trunks

B. Prune native vlan from the trunk.

Book says answer is A, but what is the difference?

if possible what's the configs to achieve both?

cheers
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A is more correct as it states you apply your command to both ends of the trunk

B might give the impression you only do one end

In brief, the commands are:

If vtp pruning is enabled use switchport trunk pruning vlan

Or set it manually with switchport trunk allowed vlan

For more details, read your book

;)
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    A is more correct as it states you apply your command to both ends of the trunk

B might give the impression you only do one end

In brief, the commands are:

If vtp pruning is enabled use switchport trunk pruning vlan

Or set it manually with switchport trunk allowed vlan

For more details, read your book

;)

but in my mine to prune the vlan of a trunk you would configure

switch-port trunk remove vlan X on both ends. Why would you ever only configure one side? that's just lazy. If traffic can pass on to the trunk in any way (even if only from one side) then that in my mind does not meet the statment

"pruned from the trunk"
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Well there's no command switchport trunk remove vlan, but technically you're right and what you state agrees with answer A.

OK?

:)
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Well there's no command switchport trunk remove vlan, but technically you're right and what you state agrees with answer A.

OK?

ok so the full command is
    switchport trunk allowed vlan remove xx

but that's what the ? key is for ;), I'm dyslexic, I make a point of never remembering the full commands, I know where to find them and if I get stuck ? or tab, you can use them in Real life and in the CISCO exams so every thing I type is generally abbreviated.

Unless I put "code" tags around a command don't expect it to be spot on ;)
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    ok so the full command is
    switchport trunk allowed vlan remove xx

Yup

And you can also use
    switchport trunk allowed vlan add xx

Luckily for you, there is no longer a need to learn all the set commands for CatOS

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    With cisco if you get two "They both could..." answers, pick the cisco wanted "best" one. They like that.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.