Options

70-270 passed...but what next

marcread357marcread357 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I took the 70-270 test and passed. the test was tough and this was my first certification. My final score was 747, just got by.

I have been studing XP in class with the ms press ALS blue book, last 2 weeks i took notes on every chapter in the book and then took tons of practice tests over the last week. I was using the trancender tests, and of cource techexams.net and scored any where form 680-780 on them and averaged about 750. it was pretty close to what i actual got on the test. Some of the questions were almost exact to that on the transcender test.

There were lots of questions about IIS, domains, and networking. only acouple about permissions. several about basic and dynamic disks. very hard test and although i passed there are some areas i still need to work on.

Does anybody have any recomindation on what to do next. I would like to get my MCSE eventualy, but was woundering if i should concentrate on A+ or Network+ or start on some of the MCSE tests instead. any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    First off, congrats on the pass. Do not worry about the score. A pass is a pass. If you have already taken the pro portion, I would stick with the MS stuff. It will build onto the next exams. From what I have seen (I'm studying 70-210 and 215) they go one in the same. there is no harm in doing Net+ or A+. Every cert will teach you more and further your career. Best of luck to you which ever way you go!
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats!

If you think you can benifit from A+ and Network+ for your (future) career, you can do those as combined they satisfy the 'elective' requirement for MCSA. If you do 70-290 and 70-291 (MCSA/MCSE exams) after that (or before, if you prefer) you would be an MCSA 2003. Then 70-293 and 70-294, and 70-297 or 298 (=1 design exam), and 1 elective (i.e. Security+, MS Exchange, SQL Server, etc.etc.) and you'll be an MCSE 2003.

If you skip A+ and Network+, you would need another MS elective instead. It would require 1 affordable MS exam instead of 3 expensive CompTIA Exams...
  • Options
    marcread357marcread357 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats what i was woundering if is really worth the effort to take the 3 compTIA test just for one ms exam credit. it seems like it would more benifital both finacialy and study time wise just to stick to the MS test.

becuase i just passed the Operating system course I was thinking that maybe 70-290 would be the way to go. We are stduing MS server 2003 some in class and there are some future classes that will go more in depth. I do have a pretty good grasp of the active directory, dns etc. does anybody have any good suggestions as far as books go.

Thanks for all the insight

Marc
  • Options
    jpasterikjpasterik Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    :D Congrats on passing...I'm in the middle of my WIN XP course now and will be hitting the exam in a few weeks.

I took A+ first and although it is something to have, if you already know a lot about computers, you will be bored. The course I am enrolled in started with A+ and then on to MCSE with Cisco to follow. I've always heard that the MCSE is a good one to have. But back to the original, I honestly would wait on A+ since you have already taken your MCP. Keep moving forward and if you find you need it later for some reason, you can always go back and get A+ later.

P.S. This site is great! I just found it today (2/25/05) and love it! I checked out what I thought would be a good forum on another site, but all you get for replies are dumb comments and jokes about your questions, at least here you get good honest advice from people. Thanks!
    "Remember, never ask a geek "why"; just nod your head and back away slowly... "