Options

ISL Native VLAN

peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
TE,

I just finished reading the Implementing Switched Networks Foundation Learning Guide. Now I'm going through and doing a review to see which areas that I may be weak in. I looked at the review question and it states:

"True or False: It is important to have the same native VLAN on both switch link partners for ISL trunking".

The answer in the back of the book is "True".

I believe this is false because ISL encapsulates the entire frame and does not use native VLANs. Am I wrong in my thinking or maybe the question meant to say 802.1q trunking? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

-Peanut
We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker

Comments

• Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    From my understanding you are correct. Like you said...they may have meant dot1q
  • Options
    From my understanding you are correct. Like you said...they may have meant dot1q

Thanks... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely lost and back at "square one"!

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There's no native VLAN with ISL, so the question looks bogus.
  • Options
    IgorGothIgorGoth Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    native Vlans in ISL?? Bwahahahaha!

This book is making my eyes googly. A couple of review questions are on topics not even touched on in the preceding chapter... I switched back to the exam guide to get the nuts and bolts of SWITCH and will look at the Foundation guide again when I'm ready to review.

Is it just me, or are all the new books a bit buggy?
  • Options
    IgorGoth wrote: »
    native Vlans in ISL?? Bwahahahaha!

This book is making my eyes googly. A couple of review questions are on topics not even touched on in the preceding chapter... I switched back to the exam guide to get the nuts and bolts of SWITCH and will look at the Foundation guide again when I'm ready to review.

Is it just me, or are all the new books a bit buggy?

The Foundation Learning Guide wasn't too bad... but it did have little quirks such as the original question I posted! I also noticed that it had a section of roughly 12 or so pages on QoS, which #1 isn't in the exam topics so it confused me to be in there... but then #2 it was enough information to confuse my original thinking and understanding of QoS. icon_lol.gif I was happy in my little world of knowing only that QoS allows you to prioritize traffic... I think the authors should've dedicated at least a chapter to QoS, only mentioned QoS when they were going to talk about Auto QoS for IP Phones, or not mentioned it at all. Oh well... it lets me know that QoS is an area that I need to become more familiar with!! Overall, I think the Foundation Learning Guide did well to explain the topics in detail, provide lots examples, and stayed relevant to the exam syllabus. Just my thoughts...

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    First thing I always do after purchasing a Cisco book is go to the Ciscopress.com site and look to see if there's an Errata doc that you can download.

Then, grab a pen and go through and make the corrections. Will save a bunch of time and confusion later.

I went and found that there is, in fact, an Errata .doc file for download. I'd attach it here, but then folks would miss the exercise of hunting it down themselves. ;)
  • Options
    First thing I always do after purchasing a Cisco book is go to the Ciscopress.com site and look to see if there's an Errata doc that you can download.

Then, grab a pen and go through and make the corrections. Will save a bunch of time and confusion later.

I went and found that there is, in fact, an Errata .doc file for download. I'd attach it here, but then folks would miss the exercise of hunting it down themselves. ;)

I agree with you 100%. When I originally purchased the book, I did go to the Ciscopress.com to see if there was any errata docs. There wasn't any (probably because the book was released in June I believe). I think the errata that came out for this book was recently released.

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    I agree with you 100%. When I originally purchased the book, I did go to the Ciscopress.com to see if there was any errata docs. There wasn't any (probably because the book was released in June I believe). I think the errata that came out for this book was recently released.

Ah, ya... that's the worst. You want/need the new version today, but you get to be the pseudo-bug-tester for them. :) Just like new IOS versions!
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I always have more fun trying to figure out the errors myself. You generally really learn something when you are trying to disprove what is printed in a textbook. at least that is my experience. The nature of some errors could make it so that this doesnt really work well though.