Options

Weird Issue

bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
I have three switches. I was connected via console to S3. I have S1, S2, and S3 and my S1 is my my VTP server. They are assigned .1.10 .1.11 and 1.12. I have trunking setup so that S1 and S2 are connected to S1. The S1 and S2 are VTP clients.

I needed to change them all over to .2.10 .2.11 and .2.12. I connected via console cable to .2.12 and connected to .10 to change it over to .2.10 knowing full well I would lose connection as soon as I changed the Vlan 1 ip.

I expected that I would just be able to wait for the connection drop and it didn't. I then opened a new teraterm console and tried to see the switch that way no luck. I tried sending a break and nothing. I finally got connected but unplugging the switch and plugging it back in.

I suppose I could have gone in a viewed the telnet connection and broken it from S1 but I didn't think of that at the time.

So what is the command sequence to break that connection? Do you think that's what caused the problem?

I'm wondering if it was timeout issue where there was no timeout. I think I'm starting to answer my own questions as I type this. :) I guess I'd like to hear some thoughts anyway.

Comments

• Options
    bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    Well I did the same thing for S2 changing the telnet timeout to 1 minute and still the same issue. hmmm.

Ok to track my progress in troubleshooting this (learning) I telnetted into the S2 via my router and ran the show users command and I'm seeing that the session is stuck open on the vty line (telnet). To resolve I will figure out how to break that connection.

To sum it up the command to see the connection was Show users and to clear the line I just typed clear line vty 0. This however did not work via telnet and by the time I connected via console cable the connection dropped.

Problem solved. I hope these notes help someone.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was about to post that command XD oh well. Good job.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.