CCNA **** Sheet

vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
So i'm taking the CCNA again tomorrow for the second time in my life. Passed it on the first try 7 years ago and I hope to do the same on this one. I've got a free re-take so i'm not terribly stressed about it, but I would like to knock it out and move on to CCNP.

What would you guys write on your dry erase board before the exam begins?

I was thinking:

Powers of 2, Subnet equations, IP Ranges for Class A,B,C and Multicast

Any other thoughts?
Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    When I did the CCNA I did what you did :)

Getting down the subnet table in the 15 minute tutorial bit was useful ;)
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    When I did the CCNA I did what you did :)

Getting down the subnet table in the 15 minute tutorial bit was useful ;)

Agreed.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Which style of subnet chart are you referencing? I've seen it laid out several different ways. I'm not too worried about subnetting as I have to do both public and private subnetting every day in my job so I have a pretty solid feel for that.

Any other ideas?
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Which style of subnet chart are you referencing? I've seen it laid out several different ways. I'm not too worried about subnetting as I have to do both public and private subnetting every day in my job so I have a pretty solid feel for that.

Any other ideas?

People have their own ideas of what they need to reference quickly really. I find having a subnet chart is really all I need, and maybe a few little things that I had been having trouble remembering on the fly. It could really be a personal thing.

What do you think you need to have as a quick reference?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441

Any other ideas?

I may write some other things down but I am sure I will write the chart down that this guy teaches. Creating Your Own Mental Subnet Calculator
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I wrote down most of what you listed above in addition to dotted decimal/CIDR equivalents.

255.255.255.0 = /24
    255.255.255.128 = /25
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Survey says....writing out all the subnets on the dry erase board helped a bunch. I also did powers of two, private IP ranges, admin distances and subnet equations. I knew all of the things that wrote down by heart, it was more of a quick reference to help me shave time off of each question which seems to be as important as knowing the material.
  • HardDiskHardDisk Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To MississippiGuardsman, You make the test sound easy. Nice going and good luck with your CCNP efforts.

A little note to those who have yet to write there CCNA exam.

Heads-up. I had practiced writing down my personalized test notes at home in preparation for test day. Reality check, on test day my carefully designed notes did not fit on the dry erase sheet! (Note, it is a flexible paper-like sheet not a ridged board.)

Lesson learned; practice writing your (test day) test notes on a dry erase sheet using a "well used" dry erase pen. I also found that the provided test day dry erase sheet had permanent header markers at the top of the page (portrait page layout) that consumed 25% of the page! In other words your available writing space is limited to around 75% of a standard sheet.

Plus; in my experience you can ask for a couple of writing sheets to use when you are writing your exam.