Anyone use LearnItFirst?

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
I'm getting into more complex SQL stuff (than what I'm used to) and I came across the LearnItFirst DBA Package. Anyone use their stuff before? For $299 it seems like a great deal, plus the job is paying for it.

SQL Server 2005 DBA Training Package | LearnItFirst

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have not, but there stuff looks pretty good. I'm going to have to sit down some time and learn reporting services. I am very ignorant of it. Wonder if I could get the company to foot the bill for the reporting services vids...
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have not, but there stuff looks pretty good. I'm going to have to sit down some time and learn reporting services. I am very ignorant of it. Wonder if I could get the company to foot the bill for the reporting services vids...

We just picked up the 05 DBA Package and the T-SQL course 160. The reporting services course alone is just $99 which is a steal.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would love to see a review on these videos. This might be something I look into the future. Especially if they start at the basics and build on them well.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xmalachi wrote: »
    I would love to see a review on these videos. This might be something I look into the future. Especially if they start at the basics and build on them well.

If you do end up making the plunge (for the price, I would not mind being a guinea pig), I would definitely like to know. I pretty much could write some decent T-SQL queries, but I would like something to help me improve my code, PLUS would like to start optimizing developers' code that I migrate to production via our change management process....this is definitely something I'd have to do much later though. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If you do end up making the plunge (for the price, I would not mind being a guinea pig), I would definitely like to know. I pretty much could write some decent T-SQL queries, but I would like something to help me improve my code, PLUS would like to start optimizing developers' code that I migrate to production via our change management process....this is definitely something I'd have to do much later though. :)

I've got quite a while before I start looking at this stuff so I'm sure someone will make the plunge before me. I know nothing about SQL but I see a lot of people here using it and I've heard a lot of people talk about its value if I move up to an engineering position in a couple of years. First on my plate is the MCITP:EA and recerting my CCNA. I'd say this stuff would be in the cards for mid to late 2011 for me.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If you are looking to do something like this, forget these videos. You need to study these books:
    Amazon.com: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 T-SQL Fundamentals (PRO-Developer) (9780735626010): Itzik Ben-gan: Books

Amazon.com: Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2008: T-SQL Querying (9780735626034): Itzik Ben-Gan, Lubor Kollar, Dejan Sarka, Steve Kass: Books

Amazon.com: SQL and Relational Theory: How to Write Accurate SQL Code (9780596523060): C. J. Date: Books

If you already know how to write decent queries those videos will probably teach you very little. If you want to get to the point where you know enough to optimize other people's code, those are the resources you should digest. They are hard, hard reads. But perfect if you have issues getting to sleep.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you already know how to write decent queries those videos will probably teach you very little. If you want to get to the point where you know enough to optimize other people's code, those are the resources you should digest. They are hard, hard reads. But perfect if you have issues getting to sleep.

I can tell that third book is going to be a fun one.... :) (I actually mean that too.)

Those videos did seem a bit remedial to me but might be good for someone who has no SQL experience. I need to knock out the EA stuff first before I even think about SQL. SQL I do now, so I'm not worried about it. Just have to do it the MS way when the time comes... :)

Thanks for the links Rob, they are bookmarked.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    C J Date writes great core knowledge books. +1 on the other two also if you are going to stay in the Microsoft world. However we are all not that lucky, right now I a buried in some legacy MYSQL code cleaning it up and adding some modules. Can't complain it should pay for some new toys.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've only started watching course 160 - Writing Queries for SQL Server (2005/2008 Edition). It is not a beginner course and it is not an expert level course. It is designed more to supplement the knowledge of someone who already has about 6-12 months of working sql experience. Im using it to make sure I am writing my code correctly since Im mostly a self taught sql coder.