Options

What types of questions does this exam ask?

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
As I read through this study material, I'm surprised at how much I know since I use XP on my laptop/desktop, and 2000 at work. Just curious as to what types of questions MS hits hardest on.

The Sybex XP books goes into detail about how to configure RIS, but on a server running AD. I have NO experience in AD and wouldn't have the slightest idea how to configure it. Since the XP material apparently doesn't go over that...did I miss something? I just assumed that it would be covered on one of the later exams.

I guess what I'm really asking is, are MS exams geared more towards scenarios? It would seem so, since they are teaching "skills", rather than simply teaching information.

Comments

• Options
    marcread357marcread357 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the 70-270 xp test. there are lots of questions related to domains, active directory. what book are you using to study. I have been using the MS press Acidemic Learing Searies it's big and blue. The test i took did have several questions about ris, & sysprep. there were a ton of questions about IIS not nessacarly about setting it up but why some is not able to connect to website hosted on someone elses machine.

I realy belive that the test is 60% knowledge and 10% luck and 30% knowing how to answer bad questions. I know my stuff as far as XP and domins and trouble shooting and so forth. I did use the transcender pre testing software and was scoring around 750 on them, when i took the test i scored 747. They really help you understand some of the types of questions you will be asked and how to answer them. you could probly get a demo. when you are done it will also tell you areas you need to work on.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey /usr, I actually heard that the 70-270 and the 70-290 kind of have a lot of overlap. Can anyone that has passed 270 and 290 verify this? It might help to set expectations on the actual exam(s).
  • Options
    JerzJerz Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TeKniques wrote:
    Hey /usr, I actually heard that the 70-270 and the 70-290 kind of have a lot of overlap. Can anyone that has passed 270 and 290 verify this? It might help to set expectations on the actual exam(s).

Don't get your hopes up.... I passed 270 the first time and barely cracked a book. I passed 290 on the third try after reading 2 books, watching videos, working out labs and taking transcender practice tests. 290 was very hard imho...
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The questions are harder indeed, but there is a lot of overlap between the 290 and 270 exam.
    I guess what I'm really asking is, are MS exams geared more towards scenarios? It would seem so, since they are teaching "skills", rather than simply teaching information.
    Indeed, pretty much all questions are long scenarios. Most of the info is fluff though, but you still have to read it because a single word can make all the difference. The questions are basically like this:

You are the desktop administrator at a company selling stuff. All clients run Windows XP Professional and are members of a AD domain. A user in your company use the X feature to do this and that.

One day the user is not able to do this and that any longer. You tried to do this and that from your own computer and it works ok. What should you do?

It usually twice as long and includes complete sentences as the answers, instead of 1 to 3 words as often in CompTIA exams for example. Answer often contain the names of elements in Windows XP (ie. dialog, settings, menu options). There may also be some simulation type of questions, and drag and drop and some other interactive stuff. There's a download available at www.microsoft.com that shows these new type of questions (which are also in win2003 exams).
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    TeKniques wrote:

They overlap very much when it comes to AD/backups/Group Policy. I would learn & take 290 first if you don't know AD. If you can pass the 290- then 270 is a breeze. I passed 290 first try but damn it gave me a headache reading the questions. Overall they are pretty much both str8 foward and easy. I give them a 6 on hardness. The only thing that can kill you on MS exams is when ones A.D.D kicks in, & you rush through questions and get unfocused. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thank you guys very much for the information.
  • Options
    JerzJerz Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    The only thing that can kill you on MS exams is when ones A.D.D kicks in, & you rush through questions and get unfocused. icon_sad.gif

Exactly my problem...

...but I'd go for the BMW.
  • Options
    I'm hoping this turns out to be easy. After using XP for well over a year at home and using 2000 at work for around 9-10 months, I'm surprised at how much of the material I come across that I already know. Maybe I can finish this one a bit quicker than usual.
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    Just curious...most of the Win XP pro stuff also complies with XP home right? I'm thinking about starting to study for it (must find the time between Sec+, A+, and school) and I don't have a working copy of XP Pro. I am taking an XP class in school and that's on Pro, so hopefully all the stuff will overlap.
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    While I probably should, I don't know the exact differences from the top of my head, I never used XP home. But although a xp home version helps, you should really try to get your hands on XP pro, as there are some significant differences mostly regarding to features not used at home but in the office, hence are also topics on the exam.
  • Options
    dosed69dosed69 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    While I can't remember all the differences I can recite a few of them. Home just doesn't have some of the features that professional has, mostly things that you would need in business applications. I know that the backup utility is missing from Home edition, you can't join domains, share permissions are available in home but not NTFS permissions, group policies aren't available, the users snap in isn't available under computer management, RIS installs, etc.... I believe those are a few of the differences. If anyone wants to correct me, or add to that list be my guest....
  • Options
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

I'm not far into the material, but from what I'm seeing, you really need XP Pro.
  • Options
    Professional is definately good to have on a network, or if you are trying to study for these exams to do hands on practice. I believe some of the microsoft books come with a trial version of it. As well I think you might be able to order a trial version right from Microsoft, usually just having to pay for shipping and handling.
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    Cool. Thanks everyone for answering the 'differences' question. Guess I'll have to pay attention in my XP Pro class now :P .
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    When are you writing the 70-270 exam /usr?