2 weeks notice + asked to go home?

2»

Comments

• L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    This is how I quit my jobs:
    YouTube - scarface quits his job WARNING NSFW LANGUAGE!!! WARNING NSFW LANGUAGE!!! icon_twisted.gif
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is how I quit my jobs:
    YouTube - scarface quits his job WARNING NSFW LANGUAGE!!! WARNING NSFW LANGUAGE!!! icon_twisted.gif

I'm over here thinking of the real scarface, not the half-baked one.....though yes, that's a great one to quit a job! :) If only......
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think its lame to can some somebody like that. Every one of my jobs I put in a little more than two weeks due to handing off of responsibilities. My last job I had to sign off on paperwork as part of checking out due to the level of access I had and passcodes for vaults and door locks.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I think its lame to can some somebody like that.
    Do people really take it personally if they get garden leave in the US? It isn't uncommon to happen here and isn't a reflection on you or your abilities.

I think its a bonus for myself personally as I get paid to do whatever I want at home...
    tiersten wrote: »
    Do people really take it personally if they get garden leave in the US? It isn't uncommon to happen here and isn't a reflection on you or your abilities.

I think its a bonus for myself personally as I get paid to do whatever I want at home...

I'm guessing it's a geographical/type-of-(nature of)-business/political type of deal. It's just never happened to me, personally, and as I stated, I've had potential to do real damage/chicanery at every place I was at. Just not risking potential jail-time, lawsuits, or the potential time off from my probationary period to answer for crap. When my final two-weeks was up, I made sure that everyone had what was needed to fill whatever holes would be made by my departure. This was done so that I would not be bothered at the new place, because that's already a fulltime job in itself. Getting to know the department, the business, the "important" people that you have to drop everything for, the internal politics, and all the other "new guy" crap that folks have to deal with. That's also a reason why I tend not to bounce around anymore....I enjoy seniority too much. When you bounce around for a management-type position, that's a bit different...seniority tends not to be an issue when you're (a) the boss. :)

Would I cry about having a paid two-weeks off? Not really, in fact I'd love it. Just saying that it's never been the case for me personally, and having read the reasons for it, I find it quite valid. I don't necessarily find it a bad thing, but just takes me a back a little. But I do understand it.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Just not risking potential jail-time, lawsuits, or the potential time off from my probationary period to answer for crap.
    There are crazy and/or vindictive people out there who will try to steal or damage data even if there is a risk of them getting caught.
    This was done so that I would not be bothered at the new place, because that's already a fulltime job in itself.
    If I actually get along with somebody then I don't mind them asking the odd question or two and I'll help them for free if its not too much work involved. If it becomes a regular thing or if its somebody I didn't like then if you want my help then I'm charging you contractor rates for it. It is my prerogative to charge for my time as its my job. If you're lucky then its free :P
    Would I cry about having a paid two-weeks off? Not really, in fact I'd love it. Just saying that it's never been the case for me personally, and having read the reasons for it, I find it quite valid. I don't necessarily find it a bad thing, but just takes me a back a little. But I do understand it.
    Thats the thing though. I'm not bothered by it at all. I understand the reasons and I'm okay with it. I don't take it personally and don't feel it is a negative thing. I see it all the time in the financial sector.

This obviously depends on the mood/feel of the resignation or firing. If there is a bad mood and I'm marched out of the door then I'd be annoyed but there would be other bigger things to get annoyed with at that point.
    There are crazy and/or vindictive people out there who will try to steal or damage data even if there is a risk of them getting caught.

That's the same type of logic as "If I leave my house, or get into a car, I could get into a fatal car accident." Yes, the possibility always exist, but it shouldn't be an impediment on living your life. The same is true with the above statement...I would imagine if you have a crazy/vindictive person, he/she could be recognized well before they give notice. I would rather mitigate that risk as an ongoing venture, not when an employee is leaving.

If I actually get along with somebody then I don't mind them asking the odd question or two and I'll help them for free if its not too much work involved. If it becomes a regular thing or if its somebody I didn't like then if you want my help then I'm charging you contractor rates for it. It is my prerogative to charge for my time as its my job. If you're lucky then its free :P

I feel the exact same way. I never mind taking time out to answer a 2-5 minute question. If it was something I had to research on, I would even do that for free and get back to them. If it got to be a regular occurance, I would have to say pay me or quit bugging me. But I was always helpful when I could and anyone who knows me can testify to that fact.

This obviously depends on the mood/feel of the resignation or firing. If there is a bad mood and I'm marched out of the door then I'd be annoyed but there would be other bigger things to get annoyed with at that point.

But if you're saying this a normal thing to do across the pond, why would there even be a bad mood? This I don't get, in all honesty. If "garden leaves" are normal, why would it bother you if you are getting the boot with a smile or with a frown as long as it was accepted practice and you have your two weeks pay?
    That's the same type of logic as "If I leave my house, or get into a car, I could get into a fatal car accident." Yes, the possibility always exist, but it shouldn't be an impediment on living your life. The same is true with the above statement...I would imagine if you have a crazy/vindictive person, he/she could be recognized well before they give notice. I would rather mitigate that risk as an ongoing venture, not when an employee is leaving.
    Thats the thing. Its easier to just go well... they might be go crazy which means X amount of work/money to fix or we tell them to stay at home. Why take the risk if you could lose a lot? I wouldn't call it a major hindrance to do so.

I also wouldn't say that you'd be able to recognise that they'd do something either. I've seen people when leaving suddenly switch like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. All the pent up issues just come out along with a good helping of "I don't care any more". Model employees who just start surfing for pr0n at work. People who mysteriously ask for a backup of their entire email store and contact lists when its never concerned them at all.
    But if you're saying this a normal thing to do across the pond, why would there even be a bad mood? This I don't get, in all honesty. If "garden leaves" are normal, why would it bother you if you are getting the boot with a smile or with a frown as long as it was accepted practice and you have your two weeks pay?
    You wouldn't be annoyed if your boss starts shouting at you, blaming you and then gets security to march you out the door? Fair enough

I've worked at places where it is a normal occurance. It doesn't happen everywhere. I'd expect it to happen in the US in financial institutions as well because of the monetary risks.
    You wouldn't be annoyed if your boss starts shouting at you, blaming you and then gets security to march you out the door? Fair enough

I've worked at places where it is a normal occurance. It doesn't happen everywhere. I'd expect it to happen in the US in financial institutions as well because of the monetary risks.

Well, I'd be lying to you if I said I wouldn't be annoyed, when you put it like that. However, age has tempered me a bit where I could bite my tounge a bit unless he starts getting dirty. Then I guess at that point we'd both be in the mud....but it takes a lot for me to want to go there by anyone.....

In the one financial institution I worked at, (online brokerage--post 9/11 or as you would probably say, 11/9) I did work the two weeks. I would imagine it's a bit different now, and I do understand the reasons.
    Well, I'd be lying to you if I said I wouldn't be annoyed, when you put it like that. However, age has tempered me a bit where I could bite my tounge a bit unless he starts getting dirty. Then I guess at that point we'd both be in the mud....but it takes a lot for me to want to go there by anyone.....
    As I said earlier, if that happens then you'd be annoyed but you've got bigger things to be annoyed at that point i.e. you've just been fired.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I guess garden leave is something different but if I put in two weeks noticed and get let go immediately without pay its going to hurt financially
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I guess garden leave is something different but if I put in two weeks noticed and get let go immediately without pay its going to hurt financially
    Your contract should prevent that from happening. They either have to pay for your notice period and tell you to go away or they have to give you notice. The notice period is a two way thing.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've had a couple of different experiences upon quitting various jobs.

In one case, I was told that I could simply leave at the end of the workday and get paid for my two weeks that I gave as notice, (plus unpaid vacation and all that fun stuff.) I've also had two different jobs where I gave much longer notice, - a month and six weeks, respectively - mainly because I actually cared about the people I was leaving behind and wanted to make sure I wrapped everything up before I handed off my responsibilities to a replacement or had them dispersed to the rest of the remaining team.

And, finally, I was laid off from my last job but was asked to stay an additional month to help my counterpart finish up some projects and get him ready to take on all the stuff that I was working with. Management also gave me a severance package in order to help me along, in addition to letters of recommendation for both future work and for when I transfer to my university of choice.

I guess each workplace is different and it all depends on how much your supervisors trust you, what the company policies dictate for your position, and if there are special circumstances for staying longer or just leaving the day of your announcement to leave.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Your contract should prevent that from happening. They either have to pay for your notice period and tell you to go away or they have to give you notice. The notice period is a two way thing.

Definately agree with Tiesten here.

Regardless, you have stated you'd work and if they chose to dismiss you earlier then the date you give, than it would be expect you are compensated (even here in the US).

HOWEVER, if the moment you submitted your two weeks and they immediately hand you a pink-slip for immediate lay-off (i.e. not writting it out after-the-fact, but you both were meeting to tell the other party the job is over)...then the may not need to pay.

Many folks in the US are employed under 'employement-at-will" which gives either party the option to terminate at any point (except for some reason...this is more difficult for the employer after 90days icon_sad.gif ).

Nevertheless, it sounds like you have a much larger problem if going two weeks without an income is a 'huge' problem icon_sad.gif

Set up an emergency fund for yourself/family PDQ! We never know when 'life' may strike.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

When a person knows there's a clock on their employment, things can change pretty dramatically. Most of the time it'll just manifest in the quality of their work slipping (and depending on the type of work you do, that's a potential landmine... do you really want a short timer provisioning new firewalls?). When an employee stands up and says 'I'm quitting', they're no longer on the party line.

Obviously you keep an eye on your employees and if any of them show undesirable behavior, you 86'em, not wait until they decide to go to get rid of them. That much is obvious. The point I and others are trying to make is that the person who just gave notice isn't the same person as the one you knew last month, their entire perspective on the job has changed. They're no longer thinking about when they're going to take their vacation, they're not thinking about how much they need to ask for a raise, or the company's long term growth prospects. None of that matters anymore. That change in perspective can translate to a change in behavior that may be undesirable, and if you work in an industry where that can potentially have long terms effects on your business, you shouldn't be rolling the dice on letting someone serve out their two weeks.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

Obviously you keep an eye on your employees and if any of them show undesirable behavior, you 86'em, not wait until they decide to go to get rid of them. That much is obvious. The point I and others are trying to make is that the person who just gave notice isn't the same person as the one you knew last month, their entire perspective on the job has changed. They're no longer thinking about when they're going to take their vacation, they're not thinking about how much they need to ask for a raise, or the company's long term growth prospects. None of that matters anymore. That change in perspective can translate to a change in behavior that may be undesirable, and if you work in an industry where that can potentially have long terms effects on your business, you shouldn't be rolling the dice on letting someone serve out their two weeks.

+1

Well Said!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?