Options

Anyone recommend a computer desk?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Greetings, for the last 10 years I've used two file cabinets and a wooden door that I took a chainsaw too and called that my computer desk.

Time has moved forward and I'm ready for a new desk. At least this one didn't bow in like a few others, however the desk really doesn't work out functionally-wise and ergonomically it isn't the greatest either.

Can other members here make any recommendations on a good computer desk that in functional, ergonomical and won't fall apart after 1 year of use?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Somebody I know has a GeekDesk. There is a motor that lets you electrically adjust the height of the desk so you can switch from sitting to standing whenever you like. Its kinda pricey though but he loves it.

I use a IKEA Galant desk with some of the extensions.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    The best desk is the one you build to meet your needs. It's not really that hard, either. Check out the Lifehacker Workspace Pool for some good ideas: Flickr: The Lifehacker Workspace Show and Tell Pool
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cablegod wrote: »

I see....it has a lovely price as wellicon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif does look nice thoughicon_thumright.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ideally if money isn't as much of an issue, the best solution would be either a modular design where you can mix and match components to get the perfect setup (IKEA is a good option for this without blowing a huge wad of cash) or to just build your own completely custom.

The best setup I've ever had was the 16' x 6' L-shaped countertop I had installed in the office at my old house. Get the right cabinets for under it, storage for on top, and you'll have a pretty solid workspace though that's hard/not practical always if you rent.

I'd check out the IKEA options, someone linked to the Galant series. That's almost the route I went until I realized I would have to scale down due to space constraints.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I went and bought a pair of desks for the wife and I at IKEA. But I am going for the minimalist approach. I get distracted easily with clutter
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Greetings, for the last 10 years I've used two file cabinets and a wooden door that I took a chainsaw too and called that my computer desk.

Time has moved forward and I'm ready for a new desk. At least this one didn't bow in like a few others, however the desk really doesn't work out functionally-wise and ergonomically it isn't the greatest either.

Can other members here make any recommendations on a good computer desk that in functional, ergonomical and won't fall apart after 1 year of use?

thanks

Laptop?
  • Options
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    Laptop?

Ya I have one of those in addition to three desktops, various hardware and some Cisco equipment.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    zobo88zobo88 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    instead of the fancy stuff, remember to get something ergonomic, the posture is very important given the amount of time we spend in front of computer
  • Options
    Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    Something flat, ideally. If you're cheap, the floor works well. ;)
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Not cheap by any means but the top is quality and it will last for a very long time. I spend enough time as it is at my desk and I don't have any rugrats so price wasn't too much of a concern :p

I have the maple butcher block top. I love my desk. I've been thinking about the L extension for it, but I don't know just yet. 60x30x29 is already huge.

Parsons Desks - Desks - Office - Room & Board
  • Options
    I have found a few on Tiger Direct, however I'll check out Ikea and see what I come up with.

thanks

-unknown
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I have found a few on Tiger Direct, however I'll check out Ikea and see what I come up with.

thanks

- Have you identified how you'd like to use your desk?
    - How about room considerations/asthetics? (i.e. do you need storage at the desk? Do you prefer to have cabinets in another room away from the desk? Do you like the open look/feel? Do you like to feel closed in?)
    - Corner desk v. L-Shape v. Straight desk v. two straight desks
    - What sort of chair will you use? And will it work with the desk you select? Or will you pick a chair AFTER you select the desk?

And also conisder your usage:
    - Do you need this as a repair station PLUS a desk?
    - Do you need additional power outlets?
    - Is there space to mount a KVM or Switch if needed?
    - Can multiple monitors be easily set up with either an arm system or shelves?

And then of course Price, Space and assembly options.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?