Options

Adding an XP machine to a domain.

If I'm adding an XP machine to an Active Dir domain,
should the computer name already be added through AD Users and Computers first?

I always thought I could go to any machine, provided that my domain is physically accessable, and add the computer w/ a domain acct having the permission to do so.

Comments

• Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    that's the way I've always done it... I just add the computer to the domain, give my administrator login, and it creates the account in AD.

Actually, I think by default anyone with a valid domain login can add computers to the domain, but I may be wrong about that.

Do you have a box you're not able to add for some reason?
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    Yeah. When I attempt to add, I get an error "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done." I searched for the error but nothing I found applied to adding to a domain.

I'm pretty sure all you need is admin rights to the local box so you can change the domain, and a domain acct w/ permissions to add it. Nothing should need to be done via Users And Computers.

Thanks Drakonblayde, I'm sure there is some other bizzare problem going on here.
  • Options
    JerzJerz Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    w^rl0rd wrote:
    I always thought I could go to any machine, provided that my domain is physically accessable, and add the computer w/ a domain acct having the permission to do so.

Yeah, you should be able to join ten computers to the domain per user account.
  • Options
    JerzJerz Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    w^rl0rd wrote:
    Nothing should need to be done via Users And Computers.

Well you don't *have* to create a computer account first but you can, sounds like something to try anyway.

Jerz
  • Options
    eastpeastp Member Posts: 179
    w^rl0rd wrote:
    Yeah. When I attempt to add, I get an error "No mapping between account names and security IDs was done."

This normally means that you are trying to add the pc's to the domain with an account that hasn't got the rights to create the account, I have seen it happen before, since our sys admin is very stupid(Or very smart but doesn’t want to explain him self why he has done it this way), they have created sysprep images with a mini setup (the stupid thing is that he put in an account that doesn't have rights to create an account(only to add the pc to the domain), so when we run the mini setup, we get the error, unless we created the account our self’s before running the setup. Don't really know why he doesn't want to change this since we have mentioned this before but nothing changes
    Multitasking:
    Screwing up several things at once.
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    All the more reason for you to go to his boss and you're boss, explain the situation, purpose a solution, and execute. During this, you're boss will be so happy, he will inform the head IT lead that you are now the new "IT Guy". The other guy get's fired and you end up with the girl.

I saw this in a movie once. It will work :)
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    eastpeastp Member Posts: 179
    orion82698 wrote:
    All the more reason for you to go to his boss and you're boss, explain the situation, purpose a solution, and execute. During this, you're boss will be so happy, he will inform the head IT lead that you are now the new "IT Guy". The other guy get's fired and you end up with the girl.

I saw this in a movie once. It will work :)

Hehehehehehe,
    If it would be that easy I would go for it, the problem is that I work as external employee for a very large multi national, the guy I was taking about is the domain admin (+ sms dude) for Europe (and an employee of the company. no matter what we say it doesn't change anything. At that level it's all politics (having the right "friends" and doing favors for them).
    This is something he CAN do.
    Multitasking:
    Screwing up several things at once.