Options

CCNP or CCSP

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have a bit of a dilemma. I work for a large consulting company and the client that I am working with requires a professional level Cisco certification if I want full access via TACACS. I have always planned on pursuing the CCSP, which would fulfill this requirement. I have been sitting on my CCNA for a few years now, and I was planning on doing the CCNA Security within the next six months. In addition, the vast majority of my Cisco experience has been with the PIX and ASA; I always worked to streamline operations and we were able to eliminate routers at my last employer as all of our WAN connectivity was Ethernet hand-off, so we handled routing with layer 3 switches and gateways were the firewalls. Anyhow, it will take me five exams from where I stand to get the CCSP; in addition, I have no experience with Cisco IPS and the client only uses Cisco routers and switches, so advanced certifications relating to ASA and IPS will not be relevant (although it will be "acceptable") to the client... but understanding better means to secure routers and switches would be beneficial.

The CCNP is three exams (not that it means it will be easier... not really sure which would be easier), so perhaps it will be faster.

My employer offers online live-instructor led courses for CCNA Security and CCSP, as well. They will also reimburse me for whatever reasonable study materials I buy, and they will let me take training courses that are under $2500 each (this seems difficult to find these days).

What route would you recommend?
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    powerfool wrote: »
    I have always planned on pursuing the CCSP
    If your employer paying for the training has no preference -- follow your dream and go for the CCSP. You can always do the CCNP later if somewhere down the road you find yourself working security for a large Cisco Network.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If your employer paying for the training has no preference -- follow your dream and go for the CCSP. You can always do the CCNP later if somewhere down the road you find yourself working security for a large Cisco Network.

This, but I would add a few conditions. What do you actually do for your day to day duties? Is it more security based or R&S based? What do they allow you to do if you don't have TACACS access? I would shoot for the CCNA Security no matter what you pursue because I think it compliments a CCNP well, and obviously it's required for the CCSP. The plus side is I found the CCNA:S to be pretty easy, I work with the technologies all day. Reading a book to find out what was on the exam was sufficient and it sounds like you may have some of the same experience as well. I too plan to get my CCSP after the NP, but I felt the CCNP would be a better next step for my career. So I will say look at it from two ways weigh what you want and what will help you out the most in your career. I chose the CCNP for two reasons, one I have limited experience with BGP and I'm now also responsible for my companies internet connected networks. So getting a deeper understanding of the NP topics will help there. I'm also the ASA admin for my company so the SP will help there, and both with help me get my ultimate goal the CCIE Security.

Side note for everyone, I recently have been working on a TAC case and found this from the TAC Engineer's signature.

TAC Security Show Podcasts [Security] - Cisco Systems

I listened to a few they are pretty good.

HTH

Joe
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
  • Options
    Well, I plan to do both, at some point. Presently, I had "read" access to the networking gear, which is good for troubleshooting. However, I have full access in the lab. I do a lot of things and I am not limited to what I do. I do a lot of packet capturing for troubleshooting purposes, so getting access to interface information, routing information, etc is a must. Also we have SNMP, syslog, and netflow access to the devices.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Which certification would help you do your current job better (or keep your current job)?

Which certification will help you get your next job?

The CCNP is always the "next logical step" after the CCNA -- but you already have Cisco Security experience, and experience is King. So for you the CCSP --> CCNP option is valid.

If there really is no preference one way or another with your employer/customer -- and you plan to stay in your current job for a while (long enough to do both the CCNP and CCSP icon_lol.gif) -- then there's nothing wrong with following the "logical progression" of CCNP --> CCSP.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The CCNP is always the "next logical step" after the CCNA --
    Under normal circumstances, I'd always recommend you go for this path. However. . .
    [Y]ou already have Cisco Security experience, and experience is King. So for you the CCSP --> CCNP option is valid.
    Since you already have plenty of experience working with PIX/ASA firewalls, you might be better off going the path through CCSP first. Of course, you also mentioned you had some experience with switches, but it sounds like your primary work has been on the security appliances, so I think you're in good shape if you get on to CCSP after CCNA: Security, then work for your CCNP to round out your experience.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    After some consideration, I believe that I will be focusing on the CCNP before I do the CCSP. While I want to definitely position myself for security roles (something I think the CCSP will assist in), based on the current need and timeframe the CCNP will be more beneficial to have first. Also, in a discussion on another forum, the knowledge required for the CCNP really propels one through the CCSP. So, I believe that is the path I will be going.

I still have some Microsoft exams to get through, and I will be doing the Wireshark certification next month, as well.
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    try to get CCNP, CCSP focus on ASA's alot and not alot on routing and switching
    and to me ASA's suck. But CCNP corver more objectives regarding network than CCSP
    i took CCNA:Sec, SNRS and SNAF but didnt get excited with SNAA so i stop im going back to routing trying to get CCIP
  • Options
    ilcram19-2 wrote: »
    try to get CCNP, CCSP focus on ASA's alot and not alot on routing and switching
    and to me ASA's suck. But CCNP corver more objectives regarding network than CCSP
    i took CCNA:Sec, SNRS and SNAF but didnt get excited with SNAA so i stop im going back to routing trying to get CCIP

Honestly, I love the ASA; it is very good at doing what it is designed to do. I think it is better to have it do its job and then have something behind it to do higher application-level filtering. But that is just a difference in taste and preference. I don't recommend someone do a certification if they aren't into the skillsets tested.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Good luck on your studies, now that you've figured out your path. Let us know how things are going for you as you move forward. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.