newbie with a cert path question...

shoebotshoebot Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

This is my first post so hi to everyone :)
Ive been looking around, trying to get a feel for the different paths being taken, but its left me confused about what id like to do for myself.

I work in telecommunications, and have been there for about 2 years now, as an accounts manager. We provide a service for clients to connect to our gateways, and deal with internet protocols such as smpp, httpsms. I dont work in support, but i liaise with them, sometimes resolving issues here and there unless they hit me with some php coding issue...

The thing is, while ive dabbled in hardware/software support before and have no higher academic qualifications, no degree or IT certs - i got my job based on previous experience and knowledge, but I really want to further myself and get some certs behind me.

Anyway Ive been eyeing up Network+, but not sure what to do after this? Ive looked at the MSDST and MSCA stuff, but while I think Id be comfortable with this, I dont want to stay 'stuck with Microsoft'.

Would really appreciate your advice :)
thanks guys
x

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I usually suggest working first on the certifications that will help with your current job -- then work on certifications that will help with your next job. So what kind of job do you think you'd want to go for next?

Also remember that you won't know for sure until you start studying for something whether you like it or are actually any good at it icon_lol.gif

If you're looking to advance where you're at, what kind of hardware/software products/solutions do you use or support? Who are the major vendors for the products you use? Who are the major vendors who are the competition for what you work with?

Welcome to the TechExams.net Forums icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    My advice, try doing one Microsoft exam after Network+ and see if you like it. Try doing the Windows 7 exam, which will give you a MCTS cert as well, and go from there. While the Microsoft exams tend to focus more on server and systems administration, Network+ is a path that leads towards things like Cisco and Juniper network administration where you'll be working with routers, switches, etc. That way, you get a taste for two of the broader types of work within IT, and then you can figure out more specialized interests as Mike mentioned.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • shoebotshoebot Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    My advice, try doing one Microsoft exam after Network+ and see if you like it. Try doing the Windows 7 exam, which will give you a MCTS cert as well, and go from there. While the Microsoft exams tend to focus more on server and systems administration, Network+ is a path that leads towards things like Cisco and Juniper network administration where you'll be working with routers, switches, etc. That way, you get a taste for two of the broader types of work within IT, and then you can figure out more specialized interests as Mike mentioned.

Hi Mike, Slowhand

Thanks alot for the advice. The network+ would help with my current job, and i also think working with wireless technologies would help, and is generally interesting for me. In future, I'd like to work in network admin/support.

At the moment, I provide service support for SMS related connections and services, so customers use us to send bulk sms messages - say Walmart or Asda wanted to send 1,000,000 SMS to all of its subscribers/customers, we provide a platform for this, using gateway connections such as SMPP 3.3 and 3.4, UCP, HTTP and allow them to integrate these connections into their existing software applications using APIs in Java, Python, PHP, .NET and so on.

We also provide web based services for smaller businesses and customers. While it would be great to carry on working for my current employers as they are great, I cannot really advance, I as would need to code. I have to say pure coding isnt exactly thrilling (just my opinion!), but when i used to do web design in my early days, I didnt mind it as it was combined with a design element.

We primarily use the Mac OS, but I am still familiar with Windows, so taking the Windows 7 exam sounds like a good path to take if I can gain an extra cert but I'll have to some in depth research into what the CCNA can offer....
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What do you ultimately want to do? Your post says you work in telecommunications so I'd naturally gravitate towards network engineering. I was in a similar situation about four years ago. I was working at a telco with no real idea where to go with my career so I started working on Cisco certs. I skipped the Network+ because the CCNA was my short-term goal. I'd advise that you get the CCENT then complete the CCNA. That will give you a great entry-level networking cert. Once you have gone that route you can reevaluate your goals. You may find that you don't like networking and want to go in another direction. The networking knowledge will always serve you though. Good luck :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    What do you ultimately want to do? Your post says you work in telecommunications so I'd naturally gravitate towards network engineering. I was in a similar situation about four years ago. I was working at a telco with no real idea where to go with my career so I started working on Cisco certs. I skipped the Network+ because the CCNA was my short-term goal. I'd advise that you get the CCENT then complete the CCNA. That will give you a great entry-level networking cert. Once you have gone that route you can reevaluate your goals. You may find that you don't like networking and want to go in another direction. The networking knowledge will always serve you though. Good luck :)

Hi Paul, thanks for this advice. Would you say CCENT is similar to Network+?
  • neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    shoebot wrote: »
    Hi Paul, thanks for this advice. Would you say CCENT is similar to Network+?

CCENT has a lot of overlap with the Network+ but higher respect - value in the workspace.

I agree with Paul, and suggest going the Cisco path if you plan on staying in the telco space. There aren't too many Network centric positions that do not ask for a MCSE or MCITP certification too though.

my suggested path: CCENT > CCNA > MCITP > CCNP

The only caveat is you may find it difficult to stop at the CCNA level to start a microsoft cert then go back to CCNP.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    neocybe wrote: »

my suggested path: CCENT > CCNA > MCITP > CCNP

The only caveat is you may find it difficult to stop at the CCNA level to start a microsoft cert then go back to CCNP.

But that would be a very long route and like you said it's difficult to stop I suggest that he do MCITP when he's asked to and stick to

CCENT --> CCNA --> CCNP

That alone will take a significant amount of time
    Thanks for the advice. Ive considered a number of options and feel that this may be the best path for me:

Network+ > Security+ > (MCDST >) CCENT > CWNA

The reason I have chosen this path is because they're not vendor specific and I have a keen interest in wireless technologies.

I also think it will help me in my current role. The CCENT is just a stepping stone should I want to move down the Cisco career path further. The MCDST I'll do just because I think I'll be able to pass this fairly easily. Do you think this is a sensible decision?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why skip the CCNA?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shoebot wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Ive considered a number of options and feel that this may be the best path for me:

Network+ > Security+ > (MCDST >) CCENT > CWNA

The reason I have chosen this path is because they're not vendor specific and I have a keen interest in wireless technologies.

I also think it will help me in my current role. The CCENT is just a stepping stone should I want to move down the Cisco career path further. The MCDST I'll do just because I think I'll be able to pass this fairly easily. Do you think this is a sensible decision?

Looks like a good plan but in the end the decision lies on you. If after the CCENT, you say "you know what I think i like this" and the CCNA happens, do it. Future cert lists never stay the same for more than a week (at least in my case lol).
  • network.ipadminnetwork.ipadmin Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with ear weed, why skip the CCNA? Most employers will want the CCNA rather than the CCNET. To many HR people are not knowledgable about the CCNET and most will want to know you have a little more exposure and knowledge of the CCNA.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed adjust your cert path to:
    Network+ > Security+ > (MCDST >) CCENT > CCNA > CWNA > CWSP > CCNA Wireless > CCWP > CWDP > CWAP > CCIE Wireless > CWNE

If you wish to go the Wireless certification route
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    Agreed adjust your cert path to:
    Network+ > Security+ > (MCDST >) CCENT > CCNA > CWNA > CWSP > CCNA Wireless > CCWP > CWDP > CWAP > CCIE Wireless > CWNE

If you wish to go the Wireless certification route
    That's a REALLY long term path, but a very good goal to try to follow.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah I shoot for the stars, my wife always says so....
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I generally disagree with creating long-term cert paths, especially when you’re first starting off down the certification route. You never know how your interests will change, what your work opportunities will be, or countless other variables. My best advice is to try to define what your long term goals are then tailor your plan one step at a time. I see there that your goals basically go from networking to security to desktop support back to general networking then to wireless. If you go with that plan you’ll basically be setting yourself up to have entry-level knowledge in many areas that you may or may not need in the short term.

As I said, I would first sit down and really think about what your goals are. If you want to be a jack of all trades single-person-shop helpdesk/sysadmin/everything type job continue down your path. If you want to be a straight network engineer you should probably cut the MS stuff out from the start and include the CCNA in your goals sooner than later. I would leave security for later, as security doesn’t mean anything without the supporting knowledge. What’s the point in studying the Security+ if half the stuff that’s mentioned isn’t material you’ve covered before? For anecdote’s sake here’s what I did:

CCNA->CCNP->CCIP->CCDA->CCDP->CCNA-Security->SANS GCFW->SANS GCIH->SANS GSEC.

You can see in my path that my underlying goal was to become as proficient in networking as possible. I started with general technical networking (CCNA, CCNP, CCIP) then once I had the technology figured out I branched out into network architecture (CCDA, CCDP). Once I’d achieved a strong professional working skill set with networking I felt comfortable with expanding my knowledge to general security. You can see though, that my first real security cert was the CCNA Security, then followed by the GCFW (firewall security). All of my security certs have been to supplement my networking knowledge. Again, security studies are worthless without a strong working knowledge of the underlying technology. You can’t secure something if you don’t know how it works.

That's not to say that I'm not competent at securing things outside of network infrastructure. Quite the contrary, actually. You can certainly be expert in a specific field (in my case networking and network security) while being proficient in others (system administration, deployment, etc). You don't have to get certs to have knowledge though.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/