Options

Capturing a dialog box

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Anybody know of an easy way tocapture a dialog box so I can use it to be displayed on a word document? I've been doing the whole screen capture and then cutting out the dialog box but would like a better look than that.
I know this may be a noob question but I was just wonderingif there's an easy way to do this.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    Just found this Screen Capture (Simple Win32 Dialog Based) - CodeProject has anyone used it yet?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why not just CTRL+ALT + PrtScrn and paste into MSPAINT? If it catches the entire app, then just select it with the selection tool and CTRL+C => CTRL+V into Word.
  • Options
    That's how I'm doing it now. Was wondering if there was an app out that I could just copy a dialog box and just directly copy it to word.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just press Alt+PrintScreen then paste (ctrl+v) in word.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Greenshot.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    wd40 wrote: »
    Just press Alt+PrintScreen then paste (ctrl+v) in word.
    That works but I'd need to resize it before putting it on the word document
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Screen hunter is a nice free bi of software,

or CaptureXT (need to pay)

both allow to capter areas by dragging a capture frame across them.

you can also set a timer going. so you can open up a menu structure and have it capture them along with the window. Great for if you are writting up instructions users.

The CaptureXT software even has a basic built in editor so you can highligh parts of the capture, draw arrow, re-crop. etc. etc.

Screen capture software - take snap, edit, share if you do lots of capturing and documentation it's one to ask the manager to get you :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    That works but I'd need to resize it before putting it on the word document

Why? Just resize it in Word. Click on it after pasting, hold shift and move the edges. Shift maintains aspect ratio.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    TheShadow wrote: »
    Why? Just resize it in Word. Click on it after pasting, hold shift and move the edges. Shift maintains aspect ratio.
    You end up with the full sized image still embedded in the Word document as it will resize when displaying the image. Resizing before means the resulting document is smaller.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    yep i agree, the number or users who end up with 100's of mbs in size by imbedding fully size photos in them. and the compress feature built in to word is rubbish. resize them first, to the size and resolution you need.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    yep i agree, the number or users who end up with 100's of mbs in size by imbedding fully size photos in them. and the compress feature built in to word is rubbish. resize them first, to the size and resolution you need.
    Nowai! Word compresses? All it ever does for me is make everything 5x bigger :D