Options

computer overheating

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I had high cpu, gpu, and case numbers to where my computer would shutdown. I cleaned the case out of dust and the numbers went down. Now my processor heat is going up. I made sure the heatsink is on there right. I didn't have this problem until I got more ram and an extra harddrive. I could get a bigger heatsink and some better thermal paste. But I'd rather know what you all think why the temp could have gotten higher for the processor. I didn't think the ram and extra hard drive would cause a problem. The temp of the processor reaches to 216 degrees f. Now its at 187f and when I open something like a web browser, it can get up to 200f. The lowest I can get it is at 180f. It didn't use to be like this. Any thoughts??
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    SatyrSatyr Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you sure the cpu temperature is 216? It's definitely not safe for that computer to be running so hot. If you check your bios, it should give you proper temp, and also there should be a shut off temp of around 80 degrees celcius. Maybe its turned off, or your bios doesnt support it.

If the temp really is 216, then have you checked if your heatsink fan is actually running? Can you see the fan turning, and is the HSF plugged in on the motherboard? Re-check the thermal paste on the cpu and make sure you haven't put too much.

Another possibility is perhaps the motherboard is shorting and giving wrong readings.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What Satyr said. Your CPU should not be anywhere near that temperature.

When you installed the RAM or HD, you must have damaged or dislodged the fan/heatsink on the CPU. There is no normal reason why it would be heating up to that temperature.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thermal paste is probably what you need. That stuff wears out, and ideally is replaced any time that the heatsink is removed. It is pretty cheap (something like $10 a tube and is good for dozens of applications) and isn't too difficult to put on. Just use it very sparingly. More is not better in this case. (We could get into why, but I'll spare you the details).

Sounds like the added HD and RAM is pulling more power. More power = more heat. Also ensure that the fan off the heatsink is working as is the fan inside the PSU if there is one.

Another thing to consider is the placement of your computer. Many desks come with a nice convenient cabinet for your computer. What a great idea. Except that it becomes a sauna inside there and your computer melts down.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Once when I worked at teh GeekSquad a little old lady came up with her daughter, about 40, and they place an eMachines system on the counter and I heard clunk! I was concerned something had become damaged when it was being transported. Another agent and I looked inside only to find a melted wound where the CPU used to be. The sound was the heatsink and fan hitting the floor of the case. The CPU was a molten mess. It took every fiber or professionalism I had not to break out in a fit of laughter.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Thermal paste is probably what you need. That stuff wears out
    Only the incredibly cheap nasty crap "wears out" and that is because it is drying out. The generic baggy of thermal paste that you get with a heatsink is generally good enough. You don't need to buy the premium stuff.
    ideally is replaced any time that the heatsink is removed.
    This however is true. If you take off the heatsink then you have to remove what was on there before and reapply new thermal goop. Some heatsinks come with a thermal pad instead of thermal paste and you must remove those carefully first as they're a one use deal.
    We could get into why, but I'll spare you the details
    Eh. It isn't that complicated. Thermal paste is to fill in the minute gaps and imperfections between the CPU and heatsink but proper contact between a CPU and heatsink is better. Proper contact > Thermal paste > air

The other reason is that some of these thermal pastes are actually made out of a electrically conductive substance and you don't want that everywhere as you may short something out.
  • Options
    Once when I worked at teh GeekSquad a little old lady came up with her daughter, about 40, and they place an eMachines system on the counter and I heard clunk! I was concerned something had become damaged when it was being transported. Another agent and I looked inside only to find a melted wound where the CPU used to be. The sound was the heatsink and fan hitting the floor of the case. The CPU was a molten mess. It took every fiber or professionalism I had not to break out in a fit of laughter.
    I remember the old videos of somebody frying an egg on top of a heatsinkless Athlon. Sizzle sizzle goes the egg and CPU. Just need to find like an old Pentium Pro so you can do your bacon as well.
  • Options

So did you fix it? :p
  • Options
    Ah for the early days when you didn't actually need a heatsink or a fan...
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Ah for the early days when you didn't actually need a heatsink or a fan...

A 1 hz processor isn't going to generate a lot of heat lol
  • Options
    A 1 hz processor isn't going to generate a lot of heat lol
    My uber 486DX33 didn't need a heatsink! I think that was probably around the time that they started needing better cooling as I think all the clock multiplied versions of the 486 had one bolted to the top and powered via connections on the CPU itself.