Clock's Ticking and I Need a Reality-Check

So here's the deal: some of you may remember that I took my CCNA cert on the very last day 640-801 was offered back in 2007. Well, November 6th is quickly approaching and it's time to figure out how I want to renew my cert.

Option 1:
I could continue studying for the ROUTE exam. I'm reading select chapters from Routing TCP/IP Volume I, I've got Volume II sitting on my shelf, and I have the CBT Nuggets available to me if I grovel. . . "ask nicely". I've also got access to Cisco's PEC as well. I'm about three chapters into Routing TCP/IP Volume I, and I've been doing a couple of labs in GNS3. Of course, the biggest concern here is whether or not I can pull off sitting for and passing this exam before November 6th. I don't have significant amount studying done for this exam right now, save for brushing up on IPv6, so I'm not really 'committed' to it just yet.

Option 2:
I could go for CCNA: Security instead. I have a bit of experience setting up ZBF on the router IOS and messing around with SDM. My former cohort can loan me the book at any time, I also have access to the CBT Nuggets and PEC for this exam as well. The only thing about doing this path is that it wouldn't really get me any closer to obtaining my CCNP, and doing CCSP isn't in the books for me right now. CCIP and CCDP maybe, but not CCSP.

So there it is in a nutshell. Should I try to press on with ROUTE and possibly shoot past the deadline? Should I go for CCNA: Security, which might be a bit easier to do in the month and a half I have left, but not as relevant to my cert-plans? If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Slowhand though I do not have the Cisco Certification experience I do have the security and networking experience. The Cisco Security cannot hurt and should be easier to fit the necessary bill. Keep in mind that is an opinion best of luck to you!
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCNA:Security hands down. I studied and passed mine in less than 2 months (1 month of light studying, 1 month of moderate studying). I think I was ready with the one month of light studying. It is much easier than the Route and much more obtainable. You can always come back to route. Besides if you do route you have 3 years to do switch and troubleshoot. If you pass CCNA:Security you will have 3 years to decided on which path you want to take.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd vote CCNA: S as well. As stated, it's definitely more feasible time-wise, and a little security experience will do nothing but help you.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Now you know this is ridiculously laughable, at best, right? If I didn't know better I would for sure ask what stuff are you on? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CCNA:Security is not a beast at all. If he has done the MCSA I am assuming he knows IPSEC. He already has some experience with the SDM (which is a big part of the test) and ZBF. That leaves ACLS (covered in the CCNA) and IDS/IPS (easily picked up with some solid lab time).

Which book can you friend lend you? The CCNA:Security cert guy apparently sucked. I used the Authorized learning guide and although it was dry, it covered the objectives. That and the Lab manual were all I needed (as far as study material go).

@SLowhand:

Another option would be to do the CCDA. If you have been reading CCNP topics than you may be able to pass CCDA pretty easily. It would be on your path (since you said you want to do CCDP). You could also take the ICND2 and renew your CCNA with the current CCNA. That might be a good review.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Edit: LOL Oh I see. typeo. Early in the morning and I need some coffee. My bad!

I removed my post about you originally stating CCNA anything was easier than Security+ when I saw you edited it. (I can respect the honest mistake.) Feel free to do editing on your end as well.

But when I saw that, You knew someone was going to say something.....icon_wink.gif
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Definitely CCNA Sec. As long as you're on the associate level you have that option to go pro or not at your own pace.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ccna wireless, WILDCARD

2887803809_41f591145f.jpg
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll give you my two cents in prepping for the CCNA Security... I used the Cisco Press book by Catherine Paquet and the Train Signal CBT for three weeks and passed it. Not exactly the hardest test out there, but I don't remember all that much of the material either (partially because a lot of it is SDM-based which I don't use in my environment at all). That said, if you have some existing experience with ACLs, AAA, VPNs, and / or firewalls, there's not a huge learning curve.

Although I didn't think very highly of some of the CCNA Security due to the content (it seems most shops are ASA-based these days), I think it certainly can't hurt. Until I studied for this exam, I didn't know about private VLANs, DHCP Snooping, or even ARP inspection. Even if you're not heading for a CCSP, I think it's still worth it and definitely do-able if you've already touched ZBF.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CCNA-Security felt like a straight up commercial 95% of the time. I felt more prepared to sell Cisco security appliances than configure them.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CCNA Security is 100x easier than Route. Get your renewal than back to work on the Route.
    -Daniel
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Thanks for the input, guys. It sounds like an associate-level exam is the way to go right now in order to keep me current. I do like the suggestions of CCNA: Wireless and CCDA, (although I've got zero experience with Cisco's wireless devices.) I think I'll head on over to Borders today and check out the CCDA book(s), see if I've got enough of ROUTE under my belt to tackle it, otherwise it'll be time to hit those CCNA: Security studies.

Cisco.com wrote:
    CCNA level knowledge and BCMSN level knowledge is needed to prepare for the CCDA certification exam.
    I'm looking over the exams topics on Cisco's site, and I'm wondering exactly what portion of it is where the BCMSN (now SWITCH) knowledge is required as a prereq? Does anyone know if they're talking about understanding what Cisco's idea of a campus network is, or are they talking about the advanced routing knowledge?

Slowhand wrote: »
    I'm looking over the exams topics on Cisco's site, and I'm wondering exactly what portion of it is where the BCMSN (now ROUTE) knowledge is required as a prereq? Does anyone know if they're talking about understanding what Cisco's idea of a campus network is, or are they talking about the advanced routing knowledge?

Keep in mind that cisco is doing a refreash of the CCDA/P track in november.

When I looked at the objectives for CCDA a while back, it seemed to be a light version of the ccnp topics, the OLD ccnp topics. If I recall there was some telephony, wireless, QOS as well as general design. Those things use to be covered by BCMSN.
    Keep in mind that cisco is doing a refreash of the CCDA/P track in november.
    Indeed, but the update won't go into effect until November 8th. I have to take this, or another applicable Cisco exam, no later than November 6th.

And I think you're right about the topics, it looks like there are some things on there that weren't covered by the CCNA, but seem to be fairly light-weight in comparison to the old BCMSN exam. I'm taking the pre-assessment test for CCDA on PEC and see how I do.

Alright, so here's the breakdown of my CCDA pre-assessment test from PEC:
    Overall Score:
    66.7%

Percentage Correct Per Topic:
    33.3% - Identifying Organizational Network Policies and Procedures
    100.0% - Examining Organizational Network Requirements
    66.7% - Characterizing the Existing Network
    100.0% - Completing the Network Design
    100.0% - Designing the Network Hierarchy
    66.7% - Using a Modular Approach in Network Design
    33.3% - Evaluating Network Services and Solutions Within Modular Networks
    100.0% - Reviewing the Campus Design Methodology
    33.3% - Selecting Campus Design Models
    66.7% - Reviewing the Enterprise Edge Design Methodology
    66.7% - Selecting Enterprise Edge Technologies
    100.0% - Designing IP Addressing
    100.0% - Introducing IPv6
    66.7% - Evaluating Routing Protocol Selection Criteria for a Network
    100.0% - Assessing Routing Protocol Features
    66.7% - Designing a Routing Protocol Deployment
    100.0% - Identifying Attacks and Selecting Countermeasures
    66.7% - Identifying Security Mechanisms for a Defined Security Policy
    100.0% - Selecting Security Solutions Within Network Modules
    0.0% - Reviewing Traditional Voice Architectures and Features
    33.3% - Integrating Voice Architectures
    0.0% - Identifying the Requirements of Voice Technologies
    0.0% - Planning Capacity Using Voice Traffic Engineering
    100.0% - Identifying Network Management Protocols and Features
    66.7% - Reviewing Functional Areas of Network Management
    66.7% - Managing Service Levels in a Network

It looks like I need to really dig into voice topics for the exam, but other than that I think I can work with this.

looking good. Where did you take the pretest?
    I did it through the Partner Education Connection. Back when I was consulting I snagged myself partner-status with Cisco, mainly for the training they offer. My little company is long-since defunct, but Cisco keeps on sending me the updates every year to renew the partnership.

It's a great resource. They offer e-learning, assessments, and labs (both simulated and remote-connections to real equipment.)

I'm a little strapped for cash at the moment, so I have to pick what books I buy carefully. As far as an actual CCDA book goes, I'm thinking that the Diane Teare book is the way to go, unless someone has any compelling reasons why I should go with the Bruno/Jordan book. Outside of the actual exam-prep, I also need to do a little bit of extra-curricular reading on VoIP. This is where I find myself wondering what I should do.

I was looking at Voice over IP Fundamentals (2nd Edition) when I was at Borders last, and it seemed like a pretty good read. Then again, Voice over IP First-Step gets much better reviews from Amazon and seems to be another good choice; the only trouble is, I haven't been able to find a copy of the First Step book to actually peruse for myself. What do you guys think, any opinions on these two books? Or should I just say "to hell with it" and get the CCNA Voice Official Exam Certification Guide and use that as an excuse to go after the CCNA Voice after the CCDA? icon_lol.gif