My new cert path

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
My new cert path – Majoring in SQL Server with a minor in SharePoint Development and SQL Server Integration. Nothing new about that, but I wanted to spell out my plans so I have some accountability.

70-506 MCTS Silverlight Development. This exam is coming to beta so I want to catch it while it’s free.

70-433 MCTS: Database Developer. Low hanging fruit. All I have to do is tighten up my knowledge of T-SQL and some Relational Theory and I should be good. I expect to have these two done by year end.

70-448 MCTS BI Developer. I’m working on this sort of stuff at work along with Silverlight development for SharePoint. So even though I am not currently studying at home I am getting substantial amount of knowledge from work. Hope to have it taken by early 2011.

Then I want to knock out these two:
70-536 MCTS .NET Foundation
70-573 MCTS SharePoint 2010 Development

Then I want to get the Pro versions of the SQL Server certs. But I’m not sure about the Pro for BI Development yet…

Hopefully I will have the following by mid 2012.
MCITP: Database Developer
MCITP: BI Developer
MCTS: Silverlight - .NET Foundation – SharePoint 2010 Development.
Then I will have to start prepping for the new beta exams that will be coming out for SQL Server 2013 or whatever.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Was this in addition to your degree plan or instead of it? Also is this your complete plan or just your MS plan? Just curious.

Hey I have been meaning to ask you about Xavier. Have you looked at XUs BSBA:IT degree. It seems like it would be a great fit for you. If I have the money, I'd like to go to Xavier for my BS. Also look the the center for adult learning. Seems like they have some pretty sweet deals for older students (basically people who didn't go to college right away after highschool. Technically I would be eligible and I am only 22).
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My new cert path – Majoring in SQL Server with a minor in SharePoint Development and SQL Server Integration. Nothing new about that, but I wanted to spell out my plans so I have some accountability.

Nice plan Robert! However are you saying that if you don't meet your goals that you want us to come back next year with motivation harassment? :)
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It didn't work for KNWMinus, why do you think it'll work for Robert? He'd just change his name..lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Was this in addition to your degree plan or instead of it? Also is this your complete plan or just your MS plan? Just curious.

I don't know. I have to be doing something. It's in my nature. I don't really think that a ton more MS certs will help me a lot, but if I don't have a goal I feel like I will stagnate. My degree plans were really something I was just exploring. Not actually plans. Certs are an expensive hobby, but they are my hobby. I asked my wife if she thought I should even bother and she said, "What will you do then? Not chess!" So, she has spoken on that front. IF it isn't certification it is something useless like Russian or Irish Gaelic or Welsh. While enriching, they are not going to make me any more money.
    earweed wrote: »
    It didn't work for KNWMinus, why do you think it'll work for Robert? He'd just change his name..lol

Well, I would remind you of the rivers of bodies that run red with the blood of cert exams I have taken. icon_twisted.gif

I may not pass them in the 900s, but I can pass 'em.

As far as this being just an MS track, well I have very little experience with any other type of technology other than Linux. While I have Oracle in the back of my mind, I'm looking at that few years out.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't know. I have to be doing something. It's in my nature. I don't really think that a ton more MS certs will help me a lot, but if I don't have a goal I feel like I will stagnate. My degree plans were really something I was just exploring. Not actually plans. Certs are an expensive hobby, but they are my hobby. I asked my wife if she thought I should even bother and she said, "What will you do then? Not chess!" So, she has spoken on that front. IF it isn't certification it is something useless like Russian or Irish Gaelic or Welsh. While enriching, they are not going to make me any more money.

Well, I would remind you of the rivers of bodies that run red with the blood of cert exams I have taken. icon_twisted.gif

I may not pass them in the 900s, but I can pass 'em.

As far as this being just an MS track, well I have very little experience with any other type of technology other than Linux. While I have Oracle in the back of my mind, I'm looking at that few years out.

Learning a useful second language can be fun and cultural. Thats coming from an American so you might already be there. I swear I am going to learn French one day.

However I am thinking about going back to the community college and taking some VB classes they have two and some more oracle classes. I already have 9 credit hours towards their associate database developer so I might get back on that kick. Much easier and more fun than grad school. I have 2 classes completed Intro to MIS, Finance (MIS/MBA program). With that said it's just not as fun.

Maybe once the smoke clears with my ITIL adventure I will get back on track. Until then my plans with just have to wait.

Ouch I just noticed this. But ask yourself, why would he request the webmaster to just change his name? I could have made a new account or just never logged in again lol. I did this for a different reason.

I guess I thought you were further along in the thought process as far as the degree was concerned. There are several good programs at Xavier and it is a good school. UC and NKU are also pretty good.
    Ouch I just noticed this. But ask yourself, why would he request the webmaster to just change his name? I could have made a new account or just never logged in again lol. I did this for a different reason.

Sorry about the poke at you Bl8ckr0uter. Just kidding.
    I suppose it may have had to do with not wanting something close to your actual name.
    I do wish, though, that you could have come up with a name that was easier to type. That was part of why I use my screen name, all the letters are centrally located. I use the same name in several different locations and forums.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Sorry about the poke at you Bl8ckr0uter. Just kidding.
    I suppose it may have had to do with not wanting something close to your actual name.
    I do wish, though, that you could have come up with a name that was easier to type. That was part of why I use my screen name, all the letters are centrally located. I use the same name in several different locations and forums.

It is no biggie. But yes you are right. I started to think about the things and I thought it might be best to give myself some protection. Plus most people who have been here for a while know who I am anyway lol.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It is no biggie. But yes you are right. I started to think about the things and I thought it might be best to give myself some protection. Plus most people who have been here for a while know who I am anyway lol.

I personally liked your old name because (I had originally thought) it was two words with one missing a vowel. When I came to know that it was based on your real name, I thought "oh....." Of course, when you chose it, that's probably what you were going for. :)
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good plan Robert - I remember you starting out on the SQL stuff! I vote with investigating Oracle once you've done those icon_smile.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    70-445 looks like a ton of fun. Best of luck Rob, I'm sure you'll do well.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    70-445 looks like a ton of fun. Best of luck Rob, I'm sure you'll do well.

It's actually the wrong number... 448, for SQL 2008 BI. Thanks for catching it. I corrected my post. Yes, it does seem cool. I really enjoy the BI dynamic (oh the jokes about Dynamik). But the relationship between SQL Server - SharePoint for providing BI is just very exciting.
    You seemed to have developed a liking for Sharepoint now. Have you checked out the site www.the14folder.com as I found some virtual labs there Virtual Labs | The 14 Folder while searching for Sharepoint foundation 2010 virtual labs.
    You seemed to have developed a liking for Sharepoint now. Have you checked out the site www.the14folder.com as I found some virtual labs there Virtual Labs | The 14 Folder while searching for Sharepoint foundation 2010 virtual labs.

Nope, I have had a liking for SharePoint since 2007. I have been certified on it since 2008. I currently hold two MCTSs on MOSS 2007. I've done several deployments for SMBs and I have been doing integration on WSS 3.0 with SQL Server since 2008. It's just at my current job that I have been getting more enterprise level experience doing this. Since I am not doing end user support in addition to this, I am also getting the chance to do more developer type stuff, like creating custom web parts for dashboards.

I actually spoke at my local SP Users Group last June about how to use PoSh and SQLPSX with WSS 3.0 to build near real-time lists with information from SQL Server.

And I love that site!
    I guess MS hasn't developed V-labs for sharepoint foundation yet as I've had no luck finding any. A lot on Sharepoint 2010 though.
    Back to my remediation for the 643. I'm up to Remote Desktop services and getting bored as hell reviewing this stuff.
    You really only need a conceptual understanding for the 643. Well, at least when I took it. I would not worry about labbing SharePoint up for that test.
    I once told this chic that I can do multiple table joins in t-sql and she took her top off. True story. Okay not really but it sounded good.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I once told this chic that I can do multiple table joins in t-sql and she took her top off. True story. Okay not really but it sounded good.

A SQL query walks into a bar. It goes up to two tables and says, "May I join you?"
    A SQL query walks into a bar. It goes up to two tables and says, "May I join you?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! icon_lol.gif

Reps for that one!