Need help on some certifications.

flamesofdarknessflamesofdarkness Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I'm new here. Just found this amazing forum, which is really greatfull for me.

I have been going to school for my Bachelors Of Science for Computer networking. I am about to finish and I feel really noobish saying this, I don't have any certifications yet. icon_cry.gif

I would like to get my A+, Network +, MSCE, MSCP, etc...Just wondering if they are hard? What do I need to study? Any advice? I want to get these certification next year after my graduation.

I am now just starting to study for Cisco Certification too. Any help? What do I need? All these stuff will bring me stress and headache but I NEED to accomplished my goals so I can get my career on the right track.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Comments

• SatyrSatyr Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would start with Comptia A+. There are 2 exams for this certification, 701 and 702. Once both are completed, you are a certified computer technician. With this designation, even if the economy is tight, you should be able to find a job as a technician, or help desk center.

There are basically 3 ways to study for this. You can go to a college (private or public) and take their courses. Or you can use videos such as Trainsignal, Testout, or CBT Nuggets just to name some. Or if you're really lucky, a company will hire you and teach you what you need to know. Whatever way you learn, you still need to write the 2 exams to get the designation. Once done, you can continue on your IT Certification path by studying more (and more). No matter how many certifications you have, you will find you will want more and more. It never ends. :)
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very short answers to your questions:

Are they hard?
    That deppends on your experience. A+ might only take you a few weeks to prep for, but the MCSE is likely to take a year or more.

What do you need?
    If you are getting started in Cisco I would suggest you begin by doing a quick study of both the A+ and Network+ exam objectives. You don't have to take the exams, but knowing the topics will certainly help you understand the material in the Cisco books more easily. You should also invest in some Cisco hardware and learn to use GNS3 (Google it).

As far as MS certifications go, I would start with Windows 7 and the MCITP EST7 certification. This will help get your foot in the door some place. I would say from there you need to start thinking about what comes next for your career. What do you like? Networking? Systems/server stuff? Troubleshooting PCs? The sky is the limit at this point...
  • flamesofdarknessflamesofdarkness Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys for the help. I will listen to the advice you've given me :D