Options

Default Instance

sammyd253sammyd253 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
In the SQL book I am reading it states, "The computer name on which the instance is running specifies solely the name of the default instance". Ok, I get that. When I load up SSMS and connect to my default instance, I type in the name of my computer and it connects.

However, if I am at the command line using NET STOP, or NET START to control whether or not the default instance is running, I must specify the default instance name as "MSSQLSERVER". Why must I reference the same thing with two different names?

Comments

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you look in the Windows Services you will see the default instance is automatically referred to as MSSQLSERVER. When you connect via SSMS, if you specify just the name of the host/IP address etc it will automatically default to the local instance if there is only one running.

If there are multiple instances running on the same host you need to specify which one you want to connect to in SSMS. You will also see that the instance has a different and unique name within Windows Services. When you run the net stop/start commands you will perform these actions against the specific instance named in the command.

It's just one of those things!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln