Just starting out on an IT career path...

Gimme a JerbGimme a Jerb Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
and I need some advice. :D

I'm 33 years old, have a BS in General Science, and am taking classes towards a Masters in Information Systems. I'm looking to get an entry level IT job to start building my resume. The problem is this: I have almost zero certs (just A+) and zero experience (my background is mostly in business to business sales). I want to go towards the networking side of things so my questions are:

1) Does a MS in Information Systems help?
2) What certs should I be working on next? Network+ ?
3) Any advice for getting an entry level job? (I need one sooner than later, lol)

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!

Comments

• tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE, I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful information here. Starting out in IT can be scary but there are enough active posters here to have seen almost everything.

I'm sure an MIS would be helpful in making you stand out but, as I know you realize, all the certs and degrees in the world won't help if you haven't ever worked in the field. If you get a few good years of support experience and have your MIS + some certs you will be a really good candidate.

Most people around here suggest the Comptia Trilogy for people starting out. Net+ is good to have and then CISCO CCENT/CCNA. Then depending on your interest the Windows 7 certifications would be pretty good too. 70-680 to start and then you can choose a specialization to get a MCITP.

I would suggest getting your name in with a few staffing agencies or headhunters. I put a resume out on Monster and get a lot of calls and emails about jobs. If you have a large hospital or university nearby check their job postings. If you're just looking for something to get your resume started contract or part time would be pretty good.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Gimme a JerbGimme a Jerb Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    Welcome to TE, I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful information here. Starting out in IT can be scary but there are enough active posters here to have seen almost everything.

I'm sure an MIS would be helpful in making you stand out but, as I know you realize, all the certs and degrees in the world won't help if you haven't ever worked in the field. If you get a few good years of support experience and have your MIS + some certs you will be a really good candidate.

Most people around here suggest the Comptia Trilogy for people starting out. Net+ is good to have and then CISCO CCENT/CCNA. Then depending on your interest the Windows 7 certifications would be pretty good too. 70-680 to start and then you can choose a specialization to get a MCITP.

I would suggest getting your name in with a few staffing agencies or headhunters. I put a resume out on Monster and get a lot of calls and emails about jobs. If you have a large hospital or university nearby check their job postings. If you're just looking for something to get your resume started contract or part time would be pretty good.

Awesome, thanks for your help! Any advice on getting part time gigs? I've been plastering my resume all over careerbuilder, monster, and answering ads on craigslist and have yet to hear one response back icon_sad.gif
    Sadly nepotism is the most powerful tool to break into any career. If you know someone who works IT in your area or who is high up in a company milk it for what it's worth. If you don't feel like using your contacts or don't have any I would try calling up a local staffing place or try to volunteer somewhere for a short time. One of my close friends is the owner of a medium sized business here and he says one of the most impressive things someone can do is come in and drop off a resume, even if they're not hiring. If they do that and make a good impression on him he keeps their resume and notes about the visit.

If you're active in any religious organizations or social clubs ask the leaders if they need help or ask some members. If nothing else go to vistaprint.com and get some free business cards made and hand them out to try to take on a couple of clients. If you're not active in any activities I would suggest considering finding something you're interested in and start attending. Get out and network! Staying in your apartment/house/dorm/parent's basement doesn't help you get anywhere even if you're the best network engineer in the world =p.

Do you live in a city or a small town? Do you know many people who need computer support or who have friends or access to companies who do? Are you doing your masters online or in a college? Do you currently have a different job?
  • Gimme a JerbGimme a Jerb Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tbgree00 wrote: »
    Sadly nepotism is the most powerful tool to break into any career. If you know someone who works IT in your area or who is high up in a company milk it for what it's worth. If you don't feel like using your contacts or don't have any I would try calling up a local staffing place or try to volunteer somewhere for a short time. One of my close friends is the owner of a medium sized business here and he says one of the most impressive things someone can do is come in and drop off a resume, even if they're not hiring. If they do that and make a good impression on him he keeps their resume and notes about the visit.

If you're active in any religious organizations or social clubs ask the leaders if they need help or ask some members. If nothing else go to vistaprint.com and get some free business cards made and hand them out to try to take on a couple of clients. If you're not active in any activities I would suggest considering finding something you're interested in and start attending. Get out and network! Staying in your apartment/house/dorm/parent's basement doesn't help you get anywhere even if you're the best network engineer in the world =p.

Do you live in a city or a small town? Do you know many people who need computer support or who have friends or access to companies who do? Are you doing your masters online or in a college? Do you currently have a different job?

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I'm going to a brick and mortar university. I don't currently have a job... hoping to change that really soon though, lol.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get some experience at the B&M IT department or Graphic Arts department supporting their equipment. This should get you some foundational experience.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • theprincetheprince Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Like you, I decided I needed a career change. I'm older than you and have taken some college level courses but did not graduate. I decided to go back to school and chose a 2 year IT program at Clark U which is now American International College. I have the following certs: Net+; Security+; MCP (70-270 and 70-290). What I'm lacking is experience in the field. (I thought school and certs were enough). Like tbgree00 said, "all the certs and degrees in the world won't help if you haven't ever worked in the field". So true! I've posted my resume on Monster a year ago and have yet to be contacted. I've gone the recruiter route also. Recruiter #1 said that he'd try to find part time work for me ($15 per hour) but I haven't heard anything from him yet (I interviewed, and have exchanged phone calls since the first meeting). Recruiter #2, who I contacted today, was not even interested in my resume without field experience. I think if I was starting this process over, I'd look for something on a part time basis first and get the certs as I went along. I'm a little disappointed how this has played out but not disappointed with the education and the certs I've gotten. Hopefully it will work out for you. Good luck!
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    and I need some advice. :D

I'm 33 years old, have a BS in General Science, and am taking classes towards a Masters in Information Systems. I'm looking to get an entry level IT job to start building my resume. The problem is this: I have almost zero certs (just A+) and zero experience (my background is mostly in business to business sales). I want to go towards the networking side of things so my questions are:

1) Does a MS in Information Systems help?
    2) What certs should I be working on next? Network+ ?
    3) Any advice for getting an entry level job? (I need one sooner than later, lol)

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!

Welcome to TE !!

Answering your questions

1) yes

2) I recommend ITIL V3 foundation, as you have business background.

3) Try for internships, any experience is a plus now.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Yeah since you're going to a physical job try to get a work study position in IT. If that's not possible try talking to the IT guy and make friends with him. Let him know what you're doing and see if he knows anyone who needs help outside of school or if he anticipates an opening. Also if you want to get some client work going, go to the commons area and post a flyer advertising yourself. You may get a hit or two.