Options

So HP don't like CISCO

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
It seems HP got a bit upset by cisco and threw out all there stuff :)

HP Makes More Than Printers? | tekcert.com

It's amazing where 3COM have got to. I have a stack of about 80 old 3com switchs. Each one made redundent by CISCO ;)
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    It kind of goes hand in hand with Cisco doing the UCS and trying to take over the whole data centre, its making other companies who do servers go the other way and get some proper networking infrastructure/products

The new HP stuff does look interesting, but as I've yet to see it in production I shall hold my judgement on it.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    As interesting as it sounds, to obtain your ASE or Master ASE in HP Networking you have to be Cisco certified (Cisco Professional Series or CCIE).

I've used a number of HP switches over the years for various clients and they aren't too horrible. Like everything else they have their own set of tips/tricks/gotchas. I will say that Cisco TAC support is 10x better than the HP networking support... for me that was a MAJOR downside.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    down77 wrote: »
    As interesting as it sounds, to obtain your ASE or Master ASE in HP Networking you have to be Cisco certified (Cisco Professional Series or CCIE).

I've used a number of HP switches over the years for various clients and they aren't too horrible. Like everything else they have their own set of tips/tricks/gotchas. I will say that Cisco TAC support is 10x better than the HP networking support... for me that was a MAJOR downside.

I have never used HP networking equip,emt so have no comment here.

However I do use both HP and CISCO support and agree CISCO are very good, while HP dispite paying for a premier service I still end up talking to a juniour desktop engineer who treat me as a home end user. I end up going through 3 or 4 different people before I reach some one who has the expertise to help.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I love pro curve switches, they are reasonably priced and fast. We had this discussion before on these forums, I don't think there is any reason why a cisco shop would move to HP unless they had a financial reason to do so. The chassis switches HP offers come in at a MUCH lower price point than Cisco's chassis, but that won't matter to a lot of people. When my clients as about switching I tell them they have two choices, Pro Curve and Cisco. They are the market leaders for a reason. Though I think I might add Junipers to that list since they are also very good.
  • Options
    j4sj4s Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I work for HP.

Since the 3com acquisition we have ditched a lot of Cisco kit and tend to be promoting the H3C and procurve lines both internally and to customers.

That said here I am still studying Cisco certs, mainly due to the fact that when you look at job opportunities outside of HP there don't seem that many who specify HP kit as a requirement.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I’m a firm believer in sleeping in the bed which you made for yourself so this seems pretty normal to me. It’s similar to Google booting Windows operating systems out of their network and forcing users to go Linux or Mac. I wouldn’t expect Coke to put Pepsi in their vending machines and I wouldn’t expect to see any Chevys in the Ford plant’s parking lot.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/