Switch doesn't recognize vtp modes

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
I'm wanting go paste in a config template into this switch, but it's rejecting it. Apparently, it's not accepting the command "vtp mode transparent" in global config mode at the very beginning of my config. I then do "vtp ?" and the only options are "vtp file" ("Configure IFS filesystem file where VTP configuration is stored").

Here's the system image file: flash:c2900XL-h2s-mz-112.8.1-SA6.bin. Maybe it has something to do with it? It's a 2900XL Cisco switch.

Is this switch unable to go into different vtp modes? Surely not.

Comments

• miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    that is the problem with using older hardware. You really need 2950 switches or better to use the current command structure...

from the Cisco site..

1.In VLAN database mode:

In Cisco IOS Software, you can configure the VTP domain name, the VTP mode, and the VLANs in VLAN configuration mode.

a.In EXEC mode, issue this command in order to enter VLAN configuration mode:

Router#vlan database

!--- Issue this command in privileged EXEC mode,
    !--- not in global configuration mode.

Router(vlan)#

!--- This is VLAN configuration mode.

b.Issue this command in order to set the VTP domain name:

Router(vlan)#vtp mode {client | server | transparent}
    c.Issue the exit command in order to exit VLAN configuration mode.

Note: The end and the Ctrl-Z commands do not work in this mode.

Router(vlan)#end

Router(vlan)#^Z

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Router(vlan)#

Router(vlan)#exit

APPLY completed.
    Exiting....
    Router#

Keep in mind the option is still there on a 2950 or 3550 but it gives this warning when the command is executed.

DLS1#vlan data
    % Warning: It is recommended to configure VLAN from config mode,
    as VLAN database mode is being deprecated. Please consult user
    documentation for configuring VTP/VLAN in config mode.

hope that helps.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Very helpful, Miller811. I should have remembered the "vlan database" command. I guess this is what I get from buying old hardware off ebay.
  • wolverene13wolverene13 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    Very helpful, Miller811. I should have remembered the "vlan database" command. I guess this is what I get from buying old hardware off ebay.

Isn't that 2950XL a Long Reach Ethernet device? If so, that's thing's ancient.
    Currently Studying: CCIP - 642-611 - MPLS
    CCIP Progress: [x] BSCI
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□

I got a pair of these in my lab... 2960's on the way.

Yes, yes, Very fricken old. I managed to get them to do what I want though XD With the help of these forums.

2960's worth the extra 30 bucks, for sure.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    I got a pair of these in my lab... 2960's on the way.

Yes, yes, Very fricken old. I managed to get them to do what I want though XD With the help of these forums.

2960's worth the extra 30 bucks, for sure.

I was thinking about swapping out my regular old 2950's with 2960's. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for one of those?
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was thinking about swapping out my regular old 2950's with 2960's. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for one of those?

I lied, stupid brain. Been to busy with work this morning.

I have 2900's in my lab. THOSE are old. 2950's shouldn't be that bad. You can get one of those for 50-ish on ebay if you search for a deal. That is what I did.

2960's are a bit more expensive. $200 or so if you are lucky... ish. Never really researched them much.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    There isn't a 2950XL. There is a 2950 LRE and various 2900XLs but no 2950XL. The sporadic mention of a 2950XL are typos or people making a mistake. Cisco don't list it as existing at all on their site and it doesn't have any available downloads when they've still got ancient junk like 1600 switches listed.

I think somebody on here did actually mistakenly buy a 2950 LRE from somewhere. No clue what they did with it as its pretty useless in general let alone a lab.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Interesting, I thought LRE was an IOS option. One of my switches had an LRE image when I got it, but after I upgraded the IOS I forgot about it.

What is the benefit of long reach ethernet? I'm guessing it allows you to run cables longer than the 100m limit?
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Interesting, I thought LRE was an IOS option. One of my switches had an LRE image when I got it, but after I upgraded the IOS I forgot about it.

What is the benefit of long reach ethernet? I'm guessing it allows you to run cables longer than the 100m limit?

Correct, they allow you to run cables up to 5,000 feet. Although, I've never seen anything "beneficial" about them. While you can run cables almost a mile, the link goes down all the time and you need to keep reterminating connections, etc. to get it to work right. If you ever see this in a live network, run away as fast as you can.
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS
    Netwurk wrote: »

LRE was Cisco specific and you needed the special LRE hardware to do it. It used a weird form of VDSL so imagine the 2950 LRE as a regular 2950 but with VDSL chips on the interfaces. You'd know if you had a 2950-LRE. As with every other DSL implementation, the throughput you got was dependant on how long your link was.
    tiersten wrote: »
    There isn't a 2950XL. There is a 2950 LRE and various 2900XLs but no 2950XL. The sporadic mention of a 2950XL are typos or people making a mistake. Cisco don't list it as existing at all on their site and it doesn't have any available downloads when they've still got ancient junk like 1600 switches listed.

I think somebody on here did actually mistakenly buy a 2950 LRE from somewhere. No clue what they did with it as its pretty useless in general let alone a lab.

You're right. I had a brain fart. I get certain models confused with other gear all the time. We actually have a managed customer who was convinced to purchase some LRE switches a long time ago by their sales rep for some idiotic reason. They have a huge campus environment that we run 1 Gig Ethernet circuits to, but then they use these stupid LRE devices everywhere for their LAN. Normally that wouldn't be a problem because my company only deals with WAN circuits, but we have WAN customers who pay us to monitor their LAN equipment too.
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS
    You're right. I had a brain fart. I get certain models confused with other gear all the time.
    Cisco get confused themselves :) Their website has mentions of hardware that doesn't exist but is actually a typo of a similar model.
    We actually have a managed customer who was convinced to purchase some LRE switches a long time ago by their sales rep for some idiotic reason. They have a huge campus environment that we run 1 Gig Ethernet circuits to, but then they use these stupid LRE devices everywhere for their LAN. Normally that wouldn't be a problem because my company only deals with WAN circuits, but we have WAN customers who pay us to monitor their LAN equipment too.
    Mmm... Yeah. That is not a well designed environment. LRE is limited to around 10mbps anyway so their LAN must be fast! ;)
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I still see LRE stuff in hotels - that's about the only place though!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    pitviper wrote: »
    I still see LRE stuff in hotels - that's about the only place though!
    That may explain why I get awful internet connections in hotels. I just figured it was overloaded and not because they're using terrible technology :)