What Matters to Hiring Managers - Certification and software versions

za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
Nice article I thought I should share with you, I think it's a good resource for those who can't decide between 2003 or 2008

What Matters to Hiring Managers - Certification and software versions - Born to Learn - Born To Learn - Born to Learn

Comments

• Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would think this is common sense.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's interesting to hear this from a hiring manager's perspective. Once you get to that point you have a better opportunity to defend yourself or get attention. The problem with most modern job postings comes from screeners. As I mentioned in another post I have seen and applied to entry level jobs requiring expert level certifications in unrelated technology. If an application screening program is set to only accept resumes with the letters MCSE on it then the newer certs won't help all that much. Once you get to the human level they can praise forward thinking.

My application was automatically rejected for an entry level, 1 year experience security job because I didn't have a CISSP, thus I didn't qualify for the minimum requirements. I was also automatically rejected from a sharepoint support job because I didn't have at least 2 years experience in web design programming, which wasn't mentioned in the listing. What I'm trying to say is that keywords do matter on the first level of application.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    If people are using screeners that have not included the newest certifications (even though MCITP has been around for years now) then they are not serious about recruiting real talent. You don't want to be around that anyway.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Certificated?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Andres and Nicolas were the only two people that sounded like they had any real technical knowledge.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well its good to hear that managers like new certificates. Here in Syria we don't have many phases you apply to the HR and if they like your CV you get an interview and the problem with them is that most of them technically weak never hear about new Certs or the really expert one.

Once you make it through HR though you have a better chance expressing yourself to more technically aware people.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for sharing!