Windows for Linux Admins

I've seen a lot of books about Linux for Windows guys, but I'm trying to go the other way.

I've been a Linux guy for a long time and just took a job with a lot of Windows work. Does anyone have any suggestions on a crash course in Windows administration?
More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.

Comments

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Rearden wrote: »
    I've seen a lot of books about Linux for Windows guys, but I'm trying to go the other way.

I've been a Linux guy for a long time and just took a job with a lot of Windows work. Does anyone have any suggestions on a crash course in Windows administration?

Which one? XP, Vista, 7, 2003 or 2008?
  • ReardenRearden Member Posts: 222
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Which one? XP, Vista, 7, 2003 or 2008?

It's for a managed service provider, so each client site could be anything.

Clients are mostly XP. A few scattered Vista and 7 boxes.

Servers are mostly 2003, but there are a good amount of 2008 boxes as well. There are even a couple of 2000 boxes out there that might break if a strong wind comes through.

So, basically, all of the above :D
    More systems have been wiped out by admins than any cracker could do in a lifetime.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd say your best bet is to pick up a couple of the examcram books or pocket guides series. They should give you everything in a nutshell that is Windows specific (provided you already understand how the concepts work on Linux IE. DNS).
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    man registry
    man Active Directory Users and Computers
    man System
    grep powershell

Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Rearden wrote: »
    It's for a managed service provider, so each client site could be anything.

Clients are mostly XP. A few scattered Vista and 7 boxes.

Servers are mostly 2003, but there are a good amount of 2008 boxes as well. There are even a couple of 2000 boxes out there that might break if a strong wind comes through.

So, basically, all of the above :D

It is unlikely that you will find sucha resource. I agree youshould grab a few exam cram books from the MCSA track and go through them. Also, if you take a look at VTC.com they have some good videos that go from MCSA to Exchange and SQL Server. Good introductions.
    These replies are great. Thanks. One more possibly stupid question:

How does one 'practice' Windows? Is the only option really to buy hundreds of dollars worh of software? I'm used to being able to just throw up a few VMs and downloading some isos when I want to test something.
    Use VMs. All of the modern OSes can be installed w/o a product key on a trial basis. After 120 days you will have format and reinstall. But that's good practice too.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Use VMs. All of the modern OSes can be installed w/o a product key on a trial basis. After 120 days you will have format and reinstall. But that's good practice too.

And what better way to dress up those vm's than with a sweet technet subscription :)

TechNet Subscriptions: TechNet subscribers get TechNet downloads and product keys, support, and more | Subscribe to TechNet Subscriptions
    Thanks! I was able to pretty quickly find download links for server 2008 isos on Microsofts website. I've not been able to find any links for Win7 isos, though. Are they not publicily available?
    There is one. It is for Win 7 Enterprise. I'll see what I can track down...
    No worries. I just found the same thing and was going to post that it came up. Thanks.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    All I can say is that a thread from a Linux guy needing to learn Windows Admin is the most unique I have ever seen on here.

Since you have some need for Windows 7 you may want to check which version of Server 2008 you are practicing with. Server 2008 came out and is best used supporting Vista while Server 2008 R2 supports all the new features available with Windows 7.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.