Options

BGP before ROUTE?

2»

Comments

• Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    I actually took QoS first on the CCIP track found it to be an easy exam. I went BSCI -> QoS -> BGP -> MPLS.

+1 for this path as well :)

Definitely lockdown your knowledge of IGP and the basics of BGP via ROUTE before moving onto BGP and MPLS......

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    icon_lol.gif

That's the state of affairs in alot of networks, sadly. It's why consultants will have no shortage of work

Yep we've just acquired a fairly large ISP who decided it was a good idea to carry all their BGP routes in their infrastructure IGP(OSPF).

Fun times for clean up.......coming my way soon icon_lol.gif

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    wolverene13wolverene13 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jovan88 wrote: »
    i always thought layer 8 is "user is an idiot layer". Maybe i should go back to learning my OSI model ;)

Haha, we have different structures of the same model. The "PEBKAC Layer" is layer 10 in my OSI model because that trumps all other layers.
    Currently Studying: CCIP - 642-611 - MPLS
    CCIP Progress: [x] BSCI
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS
  • Options
    DPG wrote: »
    I have Level 3, XO, Cogent, and Qwest within a few dollars a meg of each other.

Somehow (not sure who was able to do this; maybe it's because my company is so huge) we've managed to pay a flat monthly rate for our Cogent and XO circuits, but Level 3 is billed per-usage. We also own LightCore (part of our company, but somehow still a separate entity), so we use those links whenever possible, even though we're routing the customer traffic 1,000 miles in one direction, just to come back the other way. (We just bought Qwest, by the way, so I may be able to help you with any issues you may have here in the future).
    DPG wrote: »
    Have you used/deployed the Internap FCP? I see a lot of implementations in which financially cheaper routes are chosen over lower latency routes.

Man, I wish we would. It certainly would make my life easier. Instead, we just mess with the BGP metrics to route traffic over the cheaper links.
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Somehow (not sure who was able to do this; maybe it's because my company is so huge) we've managed to pay a flat monthly rate for our Cogent and XO circuits, but Level 3 is billed per-usage.

When you say pay a flat monthly fee, is your circuit capped, or do you get charged for overages?

I think it's absolutely idiotic to pay a commit rate on a circuit, I've always preferred to be billed on 95th percentile. It's like buying cell phone service, if you don't use all your minutes a month, you didn't come out ahead in the transaction
  • Options
    When you say pay a flat monthly fee, is your circuit capped, or do you get charged for overages?

I think it's absolutely idiotic to pay a commit rate on a circuit, I've always preferred to be billed on 95th percentile. It's like buying cell phone service, if you don't use all your minutes a month, you didn't come out ahead in the transaction

Our circuits with those carriers are usually 1 Gig or 10 Gig. There's no cap because we carry traffic for 7 or 8 million DSL suscribers and tens of thousands of T-1 (ATM, Frame, MPLS) and Ethernet customers (who also have up to 1 Gig circuits with us) and need all the bandwidth we can get. Normally we have anywhere from 2 to 4 redundant 10 Gig links to other carriers, but sometimes there's just two redundant 1 Gig links in a given market if it's a small one.
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Add my name to the list of those that did the QoS exam quickly after the ONT. The tests were like 50% of the same material. I think I did the QoS three weeks after the ONT because I'd way over studied QoS on the ONT itself.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/