Passed ICND2 !!

SMR511SMR511 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
865...I went in feeling very confident and still tripped on a few.

9 months ago, all I knew about networking was there was a thing on the back of my computer called an "ethernet" jack. I work full time (not in IT) and therefore am green. I have no illusions about how much real experience counts for in landing work.

I read Odom's books, wore out my home lab as well as the Boson exams, Transcender exams, Chris Bryant's Train Signal videos, this website, my iphone ccna apps and read alot of Todd Lammle's book. The more I studied it, the more fascinating it became.

ICND1 seemed much easier than ICND2. (It took one attempt to pass ICND1 and two attempts for ICND2).

I have to say Lammle's chapter on VLSM was a big Eureka moment (for anyone unfamiliar with VLSM).

My main question is. What step should I take next ? Look for some kind of real work ? What other certs are mandatory... a+, network+ ?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• SMR511SMR511 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The answer is going to have to be ...What do I want to do?

My answer is , I'm not sure. I find security and ipv6 fascinating but in practical terms is there a more lucrative path ?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    Now get ouit and try getting an IT job. It'll take awhile as it's rough out here jobwise.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Congratulations!

I'm taking it Monday....gotta wear out my lab this weekend.

As far as future steps, I think the A+ would good to round you out. Unless you get an entry level job with a NOC or telco, you're going to need PC skills...and the A+ is a good way to validate those. I wouldn't bother with the N+...but that's just me. Most IT folks know that to pass the CCNA you need N+ knowledge and then some. I'd go ahead and be on the lookout for job openings while continuing to study.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Carpe JugulemCarpe Jugulem Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah... the job market is a tough one right now, so I have no idea on what type of advice to give there... but, congrats on the pass, man! Great to hear!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the ICND2 pass icon_cheers.gif and earning the CCNA icon_cheers.gif

Don't quit your day job yet -- but you probably should start looking for opportunities in your area that at least get your foot into the IT door. With your CCNA see if you can find a NOC position with a local ISP (or phone/cable company). Worst case you still may have to run through the helpdesk gauntlet for a year or two -- but try to get on with a company that has room for growth.

Pick up a copy of Network Warrior and start reading.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!!!

Nothing like a cert pass on a Friday - hopefully you have a whole weekend to celebrate and don't have to work

icon_thumright.gif
  • notun1notun1 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!!what are you planning for next certification..
    ===============
    Currently working on 642-902 ROUTE

CCNP_ROUTE_642-902_Official_Certification_Guide(80%)
    GNS3 LAB: (50%)
    CBT_Nuggets: (80%)
    Routing TCPIP, Volume I and II (0%)
    642-902_Foundation_Learning_Guide (0%)
    Thanks everybody!!!

Yes...what next? I guess read network warrior.

Prepare for A+ (what is it referring to when it says 6 months experience? ...How about none?)

...and look for whatever door I can get my foot in.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You don't need the experience to get the certification but it can always help. I didn't have six months of experience. I actually had no experience in any of the certifications that I currently have.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
    And what about CCNP route ?
    I didn't see anything about having experience for the CCNP route either.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    congrats on the pass. Try to apply for a helpdesk job, study A+ or Windows 7 client exam MCTS.
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    An A+ is not a bad cert to have for entry level jobs... Beyond that with an A+ and CCNA under your belt I'd focus on working a little while and see what really interests you. Certs are a big time commitment with an obvious expectation you will be using the skills in the field. You want to make sure you are well rounded but to make money and keep enjoying working in this field your number one goal should be to pick an area you enjoy most.

A wise man once told me, " Try to know a little about everything but get really good at one thing".
  • TrainSignalEricTrainSignalEric Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Nice work! icon_cheers.gif
    WIP: IPS exam
    Thanks!

btw - Do they just send me the actual certificate in the mail like they did with the CCENT ? Or do I have to do anything ?
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SMR511 wrote: »
    Thanks!

btw - Do they just send me the actual certificate in the mail like they did with the CCENT ? Or do I have to do anything ?

CONGRATS again... they'll send you the certificate in the mail! It'll take about 4 - 6 weeks I believe.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    SMR511 wrote: »
    Thanks everybody!!!

Yes...what next? I guess read network warrior.

Prepare for A+ (what is it referring to when it says 6 months experience? ...How about none?)

...and look for whatever door I can get my foot in.

A+ is easier if you have experience. But if you have a CCNA your resume will look better with the Network+

And if you are getting any CompTIA certs, hurry it up before they require the 3 year renewal. The current exams are lifetime certs, so get 'em while you can.

:)
    Netwurk wrote: »
    A+ is easier if you have experience. But if you have a CCNA your resume will look better with the Network+

And if you are getting any CompTIA certs, hurry it up before they require the 3 year renewal. The current exams are lifetime certs, so get 'em while you can.

:)

I agree. Getting the Network+ will be easier because you have the CCNA and it has good information on it that the CCNA didn't cover.
    Booya!!
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods, but where I am Network+ isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Far better to get either another Cisco qual, or go for Juniper or Microsoft to compliment your CCNA.
    Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, I heard about the Comptia 2011 cutoff, so I definitely want to get either A+ or Net+ or both before the end of the year.

Some say get A+ to round out my skills on a resume and others say Net+ because it's just one you must have for network jobs.

Like I said, I'm new to the field so I'm clueless but here's my general long-term plan. Tell me if this order makes sense.

A+
    Net+ (?)
    MCITP
    Then back to Cisco for CCNP
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like a good plan. Are you planning to be sys admin or strictly networks?
    'm saying that because the CCNA REALLY helps a sysadmin while the MS only really benefits a network guy if he's planning to branch into security (With Security you want exposure to everything)
    The Net+ isn't that important and as far as the Sec+ it's only really important for DOD jobs and even if you have the lifetime cert DOD will make tou take it every 3 years anyway (or do the continuing education program)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    OK then going once...going twice.... before I go buy the A+ Mike Meyers book today....???
    I suggest the Security+ too.
    Booya!!