Options

Woot just got offer the IT Director position

thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am do dam excited for a place I interview for two weeks ago. It was not the orginial place I went but this is good. The money and benefits are good too...
CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.

Comments

• Options
    Now got first part of CCNP exam tommorow. Lets hope I pass that. It might be a good weekend. I might have to start to celebrate tonight :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    *fist pound to fist explosion*
    Congrats man!!!
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Nice man. Guess you won't need that CCNP at the director level though :)
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks... trust me the hard work is finally paying off. One thing everyone keep working hard and things come. The CEO is a really down to earth guy too. Tells you how it is straight forward. Him and I were joking around in interview today. He had a lot of liquor displayed in his office and I said to him I see like you liquor. He said yes and said we have to go drinking sometime :)
  • Options
    Nice man. Guess you won't need that CCNP at the director level though :)

Well I have alot of work ahead of me to get the network into shape and IT department. I will still go for it though because I love to learn and get new certs.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    I am do dam excited for a place I interview for two weeks ago. It was not the orginial place I went but this is good. The money and benefits are good too...

Awesome.

Don't take this the wrong way but your sig says you are still working on your BS. You got the offer without having your BS? Pretty awesome.
  • Options
    Awesome.

Don't take this the wrong way but your sig says you are still working on your BS. You got the offer without having your BS? Pretty awesome.

Yes I did. I been in the field for 18 yrs man so trust me it is not all about education all the time. I will have my BS next semester :)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats man!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    That is great news.... good to see hard work pay off.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good new buddy, congrats!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Yes I did. I been in the field for 18 yrs man so trust me it is not all about education all the time. I will have my BS next semester :)

That's excellent. Is this more of a technical or management position?
  • Options
    That's excellent. Is this more of a technical or management position?

Thanks everyone for the congrats. It is a little of both to start. The IT dept. is in shambles so I need to get it up to speed. They want to be in a certain place in six months because they have another place coming on board. They already have Active Directory in place but VMWare needs to be implemented and the sites have to be connected. Trust me alot of work ahead of me.The helpdesk staff is good though I can tell and I need to hire a admin down the road.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations, that's really great it's always nice to hear that working hard pays off and by looking at your Certs and the fact that you will still continue to study even though you are a director now is just awesome.

Gotta question though what is the difference between IT Manager and IT Director ? (if any)
  • Options
    That is a really good question. I have alot more to worry about with the company and the direction that the IT is going to go with the company. IT Manager pretty much usually reports to the IT Director and then runs his department. That is how it is at my present company.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cool thanks for answering this quick :) IT Manager is my next goal that's why I asked. Wish you the best,
  • Options
    Thanks man.... Keep up the hard work :)
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is absolutely amazing. Congrats man!!!
  • Options
    This is absolutely amazing. Congrats man!!!

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

So you accepted the offer, right? Or do you have a boss at home you have to run it by first? icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

So you accepted the offer, right? Or do you have a boss at home you have to run it by first? icon_lol.gif

Mike already ran it through the boss at home. She said go for it because the pay is alot more and it is my dream to make myself better. She knows I strive to work hard. She is very supportive. My son told me this morning and he is three dad you got this new job :) It was so cute. Thank you btw.
  • Options
    kahnkahn Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thats awesome mate...hats off to you.
    Wish I could be on that top one day :)
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Awesome.

I got a similar position without my degree, and no certs almost 11 years ago. I lucked out, but it is possible. I report directly to the CFO and CEO. Cases like his and mine are rare, but they do happen :)
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Duke, you are the friggin man!

As I have always said and contended, it is not always about certs...or education! Shoot I've been in IT for 13 years myself without a degree, and like you also am a WGU student.

Sometimes it's who you know.....sometimes it's what you know. In Duke's case I am sure it was more what he knew.

You truly do have my heartfealt congratulations on this one!!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Duke Gratz brother! I hope you get this gig sounds amazing!

Maybe fist pump!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    Duke Gratz brother! I hope you get this gig sounds amazing!

Maybe fist pump!

No hoping or maybes, my friend. My fellow New Jerseyan did indeed get the offer and I believe he will accept.

Guys like him and cablegod give me hope that I can break into IT management one day. And what we all have in common is that we'll all be WGU graduates (I believe cablegod is already one).

Normally, folks from NJ tend to be jealous "haters" [though I'd argue they're everywhere]. In my case, personally, because our backgrounds are so similar I am terribly excited and proud of and for him and am inspired to continue to do what I've been doing.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My bad! Gratz on the new gig!
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    No hoping or maybes, my friend. My fellow New Jerseyan did indeed get the offer and I believe he will accept.

Guys like him and cablegod give me hope that I can break into IT management one day. And what we all have in common is that we'll all be WGU graduates (I believe cablegod is already one).

Normally, folks from NJ tend to be jealous "haters" [though I'd argue they're everywhere]. In my case, personally, because our backgrounds are so similar I am terribly excited and proud of and for him and am inspired to continue to do what I've been doing.

Thanks again everyone. I do not hate anyone :P But we do have similiar backgrounds. Thanks for being proud for me :) I know when it is time to hire I know where to come too :P
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    erpadmin wrote: »

No haters at my company, but some bigger companies around here are FULL of them. All with their own hidden agendas and politics. The "Good 'Ole Boy" network as I call them. I'd gladly flip burgers before I subjected myself to such insanity.

You can do it ERP. You have the 'nads (read=determination) for it. That's all it really takes.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre