Options

IT Managers and those conducting interviews

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I've noticed that usually the first question I get asked in a phone screening is the inevitable querry

Tell us a little bit about yourself

I already have a little spiel that I've worked up for that one but would like some input on what the IT hiring manager is lookig for and what would make me positively stick out in their minds. Any keywords I should absolutely use or absolutely avoid and also should I mention just personal attributes or also mention personal things such as "being married with a teenage daughter".
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I can't speak for everyone (all IT managers/hiring managers), but we ask this question to get to know you better. Your history, outlook, etc... gives a basic overview of yourself and thru that information we get an insight of how/if you'll fit in with the rest of the team.

I'll give an example, both my friend and I went for the same job. At the time we were both equally qualified, almost the same amount of experience, yet he got the job. Why? When we compared interviews, from what we could see it really boiled down to that question. I went more into my career aims and my friend talked about his non-IT hobbies (importing Japanese cars, plus modifying cars), now I'm not saying that I shouldn't have talked about my career or that my friend should always talk about cars during interviews, but what I am saying is that he adapted his answer to both bond with the interviewing IT manager (who was also into cars) and show that he'd fit in more with the rest of the team. I learnt from that, put that into practice on the next interview (two weeks later) and job a similar job at a different place (not saying that it was the only reason why I got the job, but it contributed).

I can't advise on what to say (keyword wise). However what I can say is just like your CV, do not just have a standard answer for every company/interview... Customise your answer to fit the company :)

-Ken
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't speak for all the IT & hiring managers but if you sit an interview with me personality and how you fit into the office dynamic are often more important that your resume and history.

I can teach tech skills or send you to training to learn a set of skills. What is much more difficult to teach is common sense and group interaction. I have worked with some incredibly talented geeks but ask them to handle a presentation at a company meeting or speak at an executive meeting and they have an anxiety attack (not all of them, but it has happened more then once). At our company everything is very dynamic and I need my staff to fit the environment. Can you handle a fast pace or do you only work well in an ultra-structured office? We often work late an on the weekends, are you the kind of person that I can count on to be there, or are you the clock puncher with a "not my job attitude"? I need to know that I can count on you when we have a major issue or a last minute deadline. You may have the skills, but do you have the heart and attitude to make it with our group? We work with many "creative types" that are not the easiest to deal with so knowing when to pick your battles or having street smarts with office politics can be a challenge some just can't handle.

It might sound funny but when we interview we see many cookie-cutter candidates. Other then a different name on the resume or different style suit what sets you apart from everyone else? So you have your MCSE and CCNA big deal... so does everyone else that I will see over the next 3 days. They will all have many of the same skills because it was a pre-req for the position and my HR department does a great job culling through the initial resumes.

What makes you stand out from the crowd? If you want to see a 2nd interview or move along in the process expect me to spend more time figuring out what makes you tick. Take a deep breath and try to relax, we expect you to be a bit nervous but we also want to see how you handle pressure and how quickly you recover your composure. Feel free to ask to take of your jacket or sport coat and get comfortable. When you meet me in the lobby sound off like you have a pair when you say hi and introduce yourself and don't give me a limp fish handshake. I'm human too, and when we sit down i'm sizing you up based on your body language. Be strong and look me in the eyes when you speak to me if you don't I will position myself in the spot you keep looking until you do get the hint. Show me that you have a backbone and that you can handle a stressful situation. Give me a reason to remember you.

From my perspective i'm not looking for just a yes man (or woman) I want somebody that is going to be there to bounce ideas off of and look for your input. I need to know that I can count on you to not be afraid to ask me if I am out of my freaking mind or to have creative differences on how to get something done. When it all boils down you are somebody that I need to make sure can think on their feet and that I can feel solid in knowing that if we are going on 30 hours that you will be there to take care of business but also to laugh and have a good time making the best out of a situation that might suck.

So, the tell us about yourself question can be a very important question. There are a few items that you might want to be careful about volunteering. Most of these items are things that an employer can't legally ask which may differ based on your state or country. Things like marital status, age, sexual preference, religion etc. some hiring managers may become guarded or stop you to clarify that they are not asking you to disclose this information. You may be excited to tell the world that you are a new mother/father a that you have beautiful 6 month old at home. But that doesn't mean the person your speaking with hasn't had a bad experience with a past employee in the same situation and instead hears "I have a little one so expect me to be late or frequently sick".

Another item to keep in mind is to not be afraid to turn the tables on the person doing the interview! If you are going in for a particular position and the company doesn't seem to have a solid idea of what they are looking for in a candidate drill them on the job duties. Try to get them to give you clarification. Ask about the environment and what their biggest challenge is currently. I love when a candidate takes ownership of the position from the first interview. Get me to talk about what I see happening in the first 90-180 days make me feel like you are creating the roadmap of what I want to see done and how and why you are the person that is going to make it happen.

HTH
    ~CP
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @contentpros thanks a lot man that's really some valuable info and I particularly like this part I think it's very important
    Another item to keep in mind is to not be afraid to turn the tables on the person doing the interview! If you are going in for a particular position and the company doesn't seem to have a solid idea of what they are looking for in a candidate drill them on the job duties. Try to get them to give you clarification. Ask about the environment and what their biggest challenge is currently
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I can't speak for all the IT & hiring managers but if you sit an interview with me personality and how you fit into the office dynamic are often more important that your resume and history.

I can teach tech skills or send you to training to learn a set of skills. What is much more difficult to teach is common sense and group interaction. I have worked with some incredibly talented geeks but ask them to handle a presentation at a company meeting or speak at an executive meeting and they have an anxiety attack (not all of them, but it has happened more then once). At our company everything is very dynamic and I need my staff to fit the environment. Can you handle a fast pace or do you only work well in an ultra-structured office? We often work late an on the weekends, are you the kind of person that I can count on to be there, or are you the clock puncher with a "not my job attitude"? I need to know that I can count on you when we have a major issue or a last minute deadline. You may have the skills, but do you have the heart and attitude to make it with our group? We work with many "creative types" that are not the easiest to deal with so knowing when to pick your battles or having street smarts with office politics can be a challenge some just can't handle.

It might sound funny but when we interview we see many cookie-cutter candidates. Other then a different name on the resume or different style suit what sets you apart from everyone else? So you have your MCSE and CCNA big deal... so does everyone else that I will see over the next 3 days. They will all have many of the same skills because it was a pre-req for the position and my HR department does a great job culling through the initial resumes.

What makes you stand out from the crowd? If you want to see a 2nd interview or move along in the process expect me to spend more time figuring out what makes you tick. Take a deep breath and try to relax, we expect you to be a bit nervous but we also want to see how you handle pressure and how quickly you recover your composure. Feel free to ask to take of your jacket or sport coat and get comfortable. When you meet me in the lobby sound off like you have a pair when you say hi and introduce yourself and don't give me a limp fish handshake. I'm human too, and when we sit down i'm sizing you up based on your body language. Be strong and look me in the eyes when you speak to me if you don't I will position myself in the spot you keep looking until you do get the hint. Show me that you have a backbone and that you can handle a stressful situation. Give me a reason to remember you.

From my perspective i'm not looking for just a yes man (or woman) I want somebody that is going to be there to bounce ideas off of and look for your input. I need to know that I can count on you to not be afraid to ask me if I am out of my freaking mind or to have creative differences on how to get something done. When it all boils down you are somebody that I need to make sure can think on their feet and that I can feel solid in knowing that if we are going on 30 hours that you will be there to take care of business but also to laugh and have a good time making the best out of a situation that might suck.

So, the tell us about yourself question can be a very important question. There are a few items that you might want to be careful about volunteering. Most of these items are things that an employer can't legally ask which may differ based on your state or country. Things like marital status, age, sexual preference, religion etc. some hiring managers may become guarded or stop you to clarify that they are not asking you to disclose this information. You may be excited to tell the world that you are a new mother/father a that you have beautiful 6 month old at home. But that doesn't mean the person your speaking with hasn't had a bad experience with a past employee in the same situation and instead hears "I have a little one so expect me to be late or frequently sick".

Another item to keep in mind is to not be afraid to turn the tables on the person doing the interview! If you are going in for a particular position and the company doesn't seem to have a solid idea of what they are looking for in a candidate drill them on the job duties. Try to get them to give you clarification. Ask about the environment and what their biggest challenge is currently. I love when a candidate takes ownership of the position from the first interview. Get me to talk about what I see happening in the first 90-180 days make me feel like you are creating the roadmap of what I want to see done and how and why you are the person that is going to make it happen.

HTH
    ~CP

Repped, that's some good stuff right there.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I also have to rep the CP gentleman. That really is some good stuff there and I've done a lot of that myself.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    You are a masterpeice of chemistry and biology.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Excellent write-up!
  • Options
    falcon101falcon101 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great stuff @contentpros...repped...

I actually took notes from your post. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Rep for CP
    Well that was the type of input I was hoping for from this thread.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    earweed wrote: »
    I've noticed that usually the first question I get asked in a phone screening is the inevitable querry

Tell us a little bit about yourself

I already have a little spiel that I've worked up for that one but would like some input on what the IT hiring manager is lookig for and what would make me positively stick out in their minds. Any keywords I should absolutely use or absolutely avoid and also should I mention just personal attributes or also mention personal things such as "being married with a teenage daughter".

I found this online and it really helped me understand the process.

Beware, about 80% of all interviews begin with this “innocent” question. Many candidates, unprepared for the question, skewer themselves by rambling, recapping their life story, delving into ancient work history or personal matters.

BEST ANSWER: Start with the present and tell why you are well qualified for the position. Remember that the key to all successful interviewing is to match your qualifications to what the interviewer is looking for. In other words you must sell what the buyer is buying. This is the single most important strategy in job hunting.

So, before you answer this or any question it's imperative that you try to uncover your interviewer's greatest need, want, problem or goal.
    To do so, make you take these two steps:

Do all the homework you can before the interview to uncover this person's wants and needs (not the generalized needs of the industry or company)
    As early as you can in the interview, ask for a more complete description of what the position entails. You might say: “I have a number of accomplishments I'd like to tell you about, but I want to make the best use of our time together and talk directly to your needs. To help me do, that, could you tell me more about the most important priorities of this position? All I know is what I (heard from the recruiter, read in the classified ad, etc.)”
    Then, ALWAYS follow-up with a second and possibly, third question, to draw out his needs even more. Surprisingly, it's usually this second or third question that unearths what the interviewer is most looking for.
    You might ask simply, "And in addition to that?..." or, "Is there anything else you see as essential to success in this position?:

This process will not feel easy or natural at first, because it is easier simply to answer questions, but only if you uncover the employer's wants and needs will your answers make the most sense. Practice asking these key questions before giving your answers, the process will feel more natural and you will be light years ahead of the other job candidates you're competing with.
    After uncovering what the employer is looking for, describe why the needs of this job bear striking parallels to tasks you've succeeded at before. Be sure to illustrate with specific examples of your responsibilities and especially your achievements, all of which are geared to present yourself as a perfect match for the needs he has just described.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Awesome post contentpros..

Repped big time!icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, contentpros ...... took a lot from your writeup thanks alot.
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    This thread is pure gold. I usually just reiterate my work history and why I'm applying to this job now.

I always guessed the "tell us about yourself" was a lowball to get you comfortable for the harder technical and stress questions.icon_cheers.gif
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.