Cisco ROAS for Avaya IP Phone

jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
Guys, please recommend a not so expensive router as I will be using this as a ROAS to create interVLAN for computers and Avaya IP Phone in my branch office. We have a 1721 but it is so slow. thanks.

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How much is considered to be expensive to you? What other features do you need other than ROAS? Do you need the card to handle any VWICs (FXO/FXS)? When you say that your 1721 is slow... are you talking the boot time or pps? I'd throw out an 1841, 2801, 2811 or something along those lines. If you need cheaper, with horsepower, maybe look at a 2651XM. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    I think 1841 or 2811 should be enough for my 50 users plus 50 avaya phones. I will just use this for ROAS as I am using a firewall already. So my setup is myfirewall, then the router then connected to the switches (procurve and cisco 2960 combine).
    I am also thinking about this "Cisco Catalyst 3560-8PC: 8 Ethernet 10/100 ports with PoE and 1 dual-purpose 10/100/1000 and SFP port; compact form factor with no fan" as it is Layer 3 with 8 ports only.
    jojopramos wrote: »
    I think 1841 or 2811 should be enough for my 50 users plus 50 avaya phones. I will just use this for ROAS as I am using a firewall already. So my setup is myfirewall, then the router then connected to the switches (procurve and cisco 2960 combine).
    I think you'll be fine with the either one... We use 2821s for a small group of about 500 or so people and that runs CME as well with no issues.
    I am also thinking about this "Cisco Catalyst 3560-8PC: 8 Ethernet 10/100 ports with PoE and 1 dual-purpose 10/100/1000 and SFP port; compact form factor with no fan" as it is Layer 3 with 8 ports only.

These little devices are nice... but they are pricey! We have a ton of these that we deploy in some small office areas as access switches... plus they're POE icon_thumright.gif

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Check the following link. It should give you an idea of what you need. Just because the interface is 100 meg doesn't mean it will route at 100 meg....

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf
    Guys, do you think that 3560 -8PC is good for SVI? (interVLAN)
    Thanks for the pdf, the_dub.

peanutnoggin, regarding Cisco Catalyst 3560-8PC: 8 Ethernet 10/100 ports with PoE and 1 dual-purpose 10/100/1000 and SFP port, you say that you only used it as access switch, 2960 24 port is much cheaper or maybe you need the PoE also? Anyway, we are already ordering this 3560 - 8PC to be use as a core router for intervlan.
    peanutnoggin, regarding Cisco Catalyst 3560-8PC: 8 Ethernet 10/100 ports with PoE and 1 dual-purpose 10/100/1000 and SFP port, you say that you only used it as access switch, 2960 24 port is much cheaper or maybe you need the PoE also? Anyway, we are already ordering this 3560 - 8PC to be use as a core router for intervlan.

The 3560s that we have are purchased for us. We wouldn't go out and purchase those because of the port density. Because of the port density, I would caution you to use it in your core... a couple of redundant uplinks to your distro switches and redundant links to your ROAS and you'll be close to maxing out your ports. HTH.

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker