Options

Server 2008 R2 for the Enterpise and Server Admin Exams

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am going to compile a list of the most significant changes in Server 2008 R2 that I believe may be included in the MCITP Enterprise Admin and Server Admin exams. Much of what I will be adding into this post will be taken from this MS article: What's New: Changes in Functionality from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2008 R2

Stay tuned.

General R2 and Win 7
Microsoft Learning Snacks /COLOR][URL="http://www.techexams.net/forums/members/slowhand.html"][COLOR=black]Slowhand[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=black
Introducing Windows Server 2008 R2 Snacks /COLOR][URL="http://www.techexams.net/forums/members/slowhand.html"][COLOR=black]Slowhand[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=black
VHDs
O'Reilly Web Cast: What's New?

Active Directory Recycle Bin
Active Directory Recycle Bin Step-by-Step Guide
Win IT Pro
Quick Look
[video]

Branch Cache
BranchCache Networking and Access Technologies
BranchCache Lab Part 1
BranchCache Lab Part 2
BranchCache Lab Part 3

Group Policy
What's New in Group Policy: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2
What's New in Group Policy? Edge [Video]
Group Policy and Internet Explorer 8

DNSSEC
Domain Name System Security Extensions
DNSSEC Deployment Guide

Hyper-V R2 and Hyper-V Server
What's New in Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008 R2
Hyper-V Live Migration 1
(Can't find parts 2-4)
Hyper-V Server and Live Migration
Hyper-V: Using Live Migration with Cluster Shared Volumes in Windows Server 2008 R2

DirectAccess
Direct Access: Networking and Access Technologies
What does DirectAccess do?
MS Official DirectAccess Site
How do I? DirectAccess

Network Policy
What's New in NPS?

Offline Domain Join (not sure this actually belongs here as it is server/os dependent)
Offline Domain Join (Djoin.exe) Step-by-Step Guide
The Lazy Admin: What’s New in 2008 R2 – Offline Domain Join
YY: Windows Server 2008 R2 Offline Domain Join
[video]

Other Changes in Windows Server 2008 R2

Comments

• Options
    marcelsmarcels Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Robert, this would be a great help.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks a lot it will definitely help I'm currently studying for 70-643
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks RK
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You Da Man RK!!

Will definitely look forward to that so I can fire up my MCITP experiences thread. Almost done with my researc paper class (I hope).
  • Options
    Just added some links for now. I'll add a bit more substance nearer the end of the week.
  • Options
    Sorry, guys. This weekend was super busy. I had to work at my son's soccer tournament and there were two birthday parties for kids, etc...
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have just begun MCITP studies, beginning with 70-640. Should I be working with R2 from the get go??
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Stuppored wrote: »
    I have just begun MCITP studies, beginning with 70-640. Should I be working with R2 from the get go??

Yup, you should definitely go straight to R2 at this point.

I thought I'd add this resource to the thread: Microsoft Learning Snacks, and in particular, the Introducing Windows Server 2008 R2 Snacks.

These videos are like mini-CBT Nuggets. My former co-worker used the Windows 7 Snack series as his only resource when studying for the Windows 7 Beta exam and passed with flying colors. (Can't say the same for me, I slacked on watching the videos. icon_lol.gif )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Thanks for the Tips! I've begun downloading now :)
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I hope those $1 preplogic guides I bought 6 months ago aren't worthless now.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    I've installed R2. It says I only have 10 days before I have to activate. Any tips on extending this version so I can lab long enough to get through a book please.

My original Server 2k8 standard gave me 60 days off the bat with no key icon_neutral.gif
  • Options
    Yes, at the command line type slmgr.vbs -rearm
    That should extend your trial period. You should be able to extend your trial period 3 times.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Yup, you should definitely go straight to R2 at this point.

I thought I'd add this resource to the thread: Microsoft Learning Snacks, and in particular, the Introducing Windows Server 2008 R2 Snacks.

These videos are like mini-CBT Nuggets. My former co-worker used the Windows 7 Snack series as his only resource when studying for the Windows 7 Beta exam and passed with flying colors. (Can't say the same for me, I slacked on watching the videos. icon_lol.gif )

I will add those to the top post. I had forgotten about those. I used them for the Win7 beta as well.

I added some group policy links. Promise to add some more this weekend.
  • Options
    * Bump *
    Just added a ton of stuff. Let me know if I am forgetting anything! I think this should be suficient, though.
  • Options
    I think this should be stickied! I'd give you rep but I just gave you some on the DB thread.
    R.S.