Options

Anti Virus Recommendation

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey everyone,

We are a small MSP who handle about 60 companies. Currently we use Kasaya and some client owned anti-virus solutions. Management has dictated that we need to get get off Kaseya and centrally manage AV from one console for all 60 clients.

Generally Windows 2000+ server, XP, Vista, 7 clients.

We're had an explosion of Macintosh PC in the last year as well, so if it support Mac that would be a huge plus.

Any ideas? I want them to go all the way with Kaseya Endpoint, but they are planning on ditching Kaseya next year (due to some problems with Linux/Mac it has).
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    I hear Sophos and Vipre are good.

Not sure about Mac support.

I use Vipre at my place of employment and have been very impressed. Way better than Symantec.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

We are a small MSP who handle about 60 companies. Currently we use Kasaya and some client owned anti-virus solutions. Management has dictated that we need to get get off Kaseya and centrally manage AV from one console for all 60 clients.

Generally Windows 2000+ server, XP, Vista, 7 clients.

We're had an explosion of Macintosh PC in the last year as well, so if it support Mac that would be a huge plus.

Any ideas? I want them to go all the way with Kaseya Endpoint, but they are planning on ditching Kaseya next year (due to some problems with Linux/Mac it has).

Sophos or Eset. They both have av for macs as well.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Vipre and Sophos support a MSP model? Any licensing concerns?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    You might want to look into LanDesk AV. Works with Windows, Mac, and Linux clients. I've seen decent reviews for the AV.

My experience with it is limited but it seems like it might be a possible solution for you.
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    I managed a Apple Mac Desktop/Server environment. Sophos is the best overall AV solution.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you can afford ESET than go with it. It's worth it.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I vote for ESET also
  • Options
    Stiltz79Stiltz79 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I vote for Sophos. The policies are easily configurable, it supports multiple OS's, easily central management including cleanup and deployment. You also can build installer packages for your home computers. You can install on your home computer and it does not count against your licensing for corporate PC's. I think it's a very nice product and their support is A+.
  • Options
    mattmrob99mattmrob99 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I ditched Kaseya and started using N-Able. I like it a lot better. It uses Panda AV. I'd also recommend Trend.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Stiltz79 wrote: »
    I vote for Sophos. The policies are easily configurable, it supports multiple OS's, easily central management including cleanup and deployment. You also can build installer packages for your home computers. You can install on your home computer and it does not count against your licensing for corporate PC's. I think it's a very nice product and their support is A+.

I think you have a different support desk to us then!! The best one was being told it was not a virus/malware attacking the systems as if it was then SOPHOS would pick it up. It took nearly 24 hours before they where intrested enough to help out, by which time we have developed our own solution.

And then there is the restricted applications that they love to update with out telling you... It was so nice of them to add Cisco Webx software to the restricted list! caused quite a few help desk cases that day..

And I not going near how much of a system hog it is!

Actuly 3 years back Sophos was great, then they started to become more sucessful and it all went down hill.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I think you have a different support desk to us then!! The best one was being told it was not a virus/malware attacking the systems as if it was then SOPHOS would pick it up. It took nearly 24 hours before they where intrested enough to help out, by which time we have developed our own solution.

And then there is the restricted applications that they love to update with out telling you... It was so nice of them to add Cisco Webx software to the restricted list! caused quite a few help desk cases that day..

And I not going near how much of a system hog it is!

Actuly 3 years back Sophos was great, then they started to become more sucessful and it all went down hill.

Sounds like what happens when companies are bought by dell.
  • Options
    puppy001puppy001 Banned Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    symantec end point for the win yooo or go with something like forefront end point protection. Or u can always use avg but u cannot centrally manage **** with that or u cann create ur ur own ****
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    we had sophos until the new owners made us switch to crapafee... awful. we now use avg/avast/clamwin for things since crapafee wont detect/clean things well. use avira boot cd for some of the really bad ones.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Eset works pretty well. My school uses Sopho in the student labs, it works ok.
    AVG and Malwarbytes are good free options.
  • Options
    bwbecraftbwbecraft Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 for ESET

Once you have it tuned its a beast, but the support is terrible.
    I've used Trendmicro, Sophos, Symantec, Mcafee, ClamAV, and Vipre ranging from small offices to enterprise environments. Vipre works great on a budget. Trendmicro and Sophos seem most readily integrated into security appliances. Symentec and Mcafee both offer DLP enterprise solutions. I feel ESET has had the best track record for catching things though since it doesn't rely on a gigantic sig file and leans more towards hueristics and anomalies. They all have their place.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    McAfee ePO. We're currently on a rapid deployment cycle (the fastest McAfee has ever seen per their top-level engineers) and its going very smoothly. You could build out all sixty+ client sites in the system tree and manage them independently. This would allow you to centrally manage AV to each site while also being able to provide additional McAfee services (dlp, firewall, hips, etc) on an ad-hock basis. PM me if you want more info.

[edit]

Let me preface by stating that we're pushing AV, hDLP, HIPS, firewall, siteadvisor, solidcore, and just about everything else McAfee sells to over 20k hosts with a one month buildout. It's scalable.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/