Network Monitoring Port

Jason0352Jason0352 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok so I was having a discussion with my sys admin about this. We just setup network monitoring on a 48 port Procurve 2510G and was wondering, does it slow the switch down when the throughput that's getting mirrored to the monitor port exceed the actual port speed (ie: 100/1000)?

What happens if port 2 and port 3 are transferring close to their gigabit port speed while that traffic is getting mirrored to the monitor port which is also a gig port?

Thanks

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Jason0352 wrote: »
    Ok so I was having a discussion with my sys admin about this. We just setup network monitoring on a 48 port Procurve 2510G and was wondering, does it slow the switch down when the throughput that's getting mirrored to the monitor port exceed the actual port speed (ie: 100/1000)?

What happens if port 2 and port 3 are transferring close to their gigabit port speed while that traffic is getting mirrored to the monitor port which is also a gig port?

Thanks

I don't know anything about mirroring or monitoring, but the backplane of the switch can transfer data much faster than 1GB/s so my initial thought is no, the performance would not be effected.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.