Options

Difference between the 6th and 7th editions of Meyers A+ book?

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
Does anyone know what the differences between the sixth and seventh editions of Meyers A+ book are? I can get the sixth edition pretty cheaply used, but not so for the seventh, and I wanted to see if the differences are minor enough to just get the sixth edition.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The sixth edition covers the older exams, 220-602, 220-603/220-604, whereas the seventh edition covers the material needed for the new exams, 220-701 and 220-702. While it may be tempting to save some money and pick up a used copy of the older book, it won't cover all the topics for the current exams.

You definitely with the seventh edition, always use the correct study guide(s) for the exam(s) you're studying for.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Slowhand wrote: »
    The sixth edition covers the older exams, 220-602, 220-603/220-604, whereas the seventh edition covers the material needed for the new exams, 220-701 and 220-702. While it may be tempting to save some money and pick up a used copy of the older book, it won't cover all the topics for the current exams.

You definitely with the seventh edition, always use the correct study guide(s) for the exam(s) you're studying for.

Is this enough to pass the exam in your opinion?

Granted you read the material and study well?
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Is this enough to pass the exam in your opinion?

Granted you read the material and study well?

It depends. If you have plenty of experience, then it should be fine. If you don't have a whole lot of working experience, you need to make sure you're doing some hands-on work with real equipment and you should probably pick up a secondary study-resource such as Mike Meyers' Passport book, CBT Nuggets, or even a free resource or two.

• Options
    It depends. If you have plenty of experience, then it should be fine. If you don't have a whole lot of working experience, you need to make sure you're doing some hands-on work with real equipment and you should probably pick up a secondary study-resource such as Mike Meyers' Passport book, CBT Nuggets, or even a free resource or two.

Thanks for the insight.
  • Options
    Not a problem. If you're worried about using too many books by the same author, you can always take a field-trip to your local Borders or Barnes & Noble to check out other books, like the one by Sybex for example. Whenever I need to learn something new, I like to go get myself a cup of coffee and go page through the books at the bookstore until I find something that works for me. (And there's nothing that says you can't still buy them for a lower price online, but that's up to you.)

• Options
    Not a problem. If you're worried about using too many books by the same author, you can always take a field-trip to your local Borders or Barnes & Noble to check out other books, like the one by Sybex for example. Whenever I need to learn something new, I like to go get myself a cup of coffee and go page through the books at the bookstore until I find something that works for me. (And there's nothing that says you can't still buy them for a lower price online, but that's up to you.)

I decided to try to go for the trifecta before the deadline. I have 0 technical certs and I'm a tech. Kind of weird.
  • Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    I decided to try to go for the trifecta before the deadline. I have 0 technical certs and I'm a tech. Kind of weird.

How did you manage to get a tech job with no certifications? I know certs don't mean you necessarily know the technology, but with no experience either at one point, how did you break into the field?
  • Options
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    How did you manage to get a tech job with no certifications? I know certs don't mean you necessarily know the technology, but with no experience either at one point, how did you break into the field?

To be honest certifications are over rated for landing a job, at least that is my experience. A degree carries a lot of weight regardless of what it is in. Obviously, one business or IT related is preferred.

That's how I became a tech in a nutshell. One thing I did learn, nothing and I mean nothing substitutes experience.

I've seen techs come in with all the desktop support certifications and they are usually just as bad as the people with just degrees when they come into the support center. I'm not saying they are worse, but they aren't much better.

Regardless of the persons achievements you have to learn a new enterprise everytime you switch jobs. That's why you don't see a lot of tier 2 jobs for support. You have to know the job at a tier 1 level before you move onto 2. Besides a lot of the level 2 techs do a lot of routing, they act as a filtering system.
  • Options
    ramirerramirer Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To be honest certifications are over rated for landing a job, at least that is my experience. A degree carries a lot of weight regardless of what it is in. Obviously, one business or IT related is preferred.

That's how I became a tech in a nutshell. One thing I did learn, nothing and I mean nothing substitutes experience.

I've seen techs come in with all the desktop support certifications and they are usually just as bad as the people with just degrees when they come into the support center. I'm not saying they are worse, but they aren't much better.

Regardless of the persons achievements you have to learn a new enterprise everytime you switch jobs. That's why you don't see a lot of tier 2 jobs for support. You have to know the job at a tier 1 level before you move onto 2. Besides a lot of the level 2 techs do a lot of routing, they act as a filtering system.
    That and it's who you know. Hell I almost got a job at a VA but didn't because I wasn't a former federal employee or military member. My only tech related work was from Circuit City Firedog.
  • Options
    ramirer wrote: »
    That and it's who you know. Hell I almost got a job at a VA but didn't because I wasn't a former federal employee or military member. My only tech related work was from Circuit City Firedog.

Who you know plays a huge role. There is no doubt about it.